IGNORED

Drelbs

playsoft

Drelbs is one of my favourite 8-bit games but I couldn't find a 5200 version. This is a port of what I think must have been the cassette version as it ran in 16K. There was no title screen so I've added one with a speedy rendition of Wilder Reiter. I've changed nothing in the game itself other than to remap the keyboard controls:

START - restart game (at any time)

# - press this for difficulty selection, then press * repeatedly to select difficulty, then press START

PAUSE - pause game, press RESET or 0..9 to resume

drelbs.bin

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I was not familiar with Lady Bug but that looks like where the revolving doors may have come from, although Drelbs does something different with them. As one of my favourite games it is a shame more is not known about it. I think it's a very original game (despite the Lady Bug doors!) with a unique atmosphere and excellently programmed.

• 9 years later...
On 2/7/2014 at 9:47 AM, playsoft said:

Is any of the history behind Drelbs known? It was published by Synapse but was Kelly Jones employed by them to write it or had he already developed the program and they simply published it?

I was finally able to track down the man behind the game: Kelly Jones! He was the vice president of the entertainment division at Synapse and worked closely with Ihor Wolosenko, the co-founder of the company. I just finished a 6809 port of the game and wanted to get the okay from Kelly to use the name (even though it's free and I did it just for fun). He was fine with it, even though technically the rights to that IP are now in someone else's hands I assume.

He agreed to a 1 hour interview talking about his background and the great programmers at Synapse who made those classic games we enjoy. Some really cool stories. We also learn where the word "Drelbs" comes from.

Here is a link: https://youtu.be/Vsq3Iz0hzFE

• Like 4