IGNORED

SIO2sd and Atari 1200xl ... having problems

Synthpopalooza

Hello Syntpopalooza

The sio2sd is powered by the Atari. And the power you can draw from a 1200XL via SIO is limited. There is a way to correct this, but I'm not sure how. The 1200XL is the only Atari computer that has this restriction.

Sincerely

Mathy

• 10 months later...

The 5V / READY line on the SIO port (pin 10) carries 5V.

Particularly for the 1200XL, the READY line runs through a 100[Ohm] resistor (R63). This resistor limits the maximum current you will be able to draw from that pin. As a result, the SIO2SD and other devices will NOT work when powered from the READY line. This resistor is not present on the 800XL or XE line.

There are two workarounds to this:

a) Open the 1200XL, locate he R63 resistor and solder a jumper wire, as stated above. There's a picture of the location of the resistor and the mod right HERE.

b) Power the SIO2SD with an external, regulated power 5V supply.

IMG_4100.jpg

Photo courtesy of the nightfall crew. It shows the resistor on the 1200XL being jumped over with a blue wire.

The 12V absence in the SIO port of the 1200XL has no relation to this issue at all.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: fixed a typo.

Edited by RodCastler
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Did this solve the issue ? I have a 600XL with same problem as the op

The above solution is exclusively for the 1200XL. The 600XL and 800XL don't have the mentioned resistor (which basically means those have this solution built-in by design).

Sound to me like a software configuration issue, like, no bootable ATR present as D1: on the SIO2SD or something like that.

In case it's not the only device in the SIO chain, you'd take a look over here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/174145-sio2sd-daisy-chaining-problem/?do=findComment&comment=2162818

Oh that sucks. I have the same issue. The XC12 tape drive works fine but the SIO2SD switches on and works but the Atari won’t boot from it.

Are you the guy that posted the video on the Facebook page? If so I think you may need to set your device id to 0.