IGNORED

Does Primal Rage really need to be on a CD?

82-T/A

I just got to thinking... it's only a fighting game. I believe there might have been a couple of cut-scenes, but the game is a pretty decent game. Was there really any reason for them to put it on a CD other than to include those few cut-scenes?

I would so much rather have a cartridge version of it, and then just have a couple of still-screens with music instead of the video (since it probably won't fit).

Just curious... makes me wonder what other games probably could have just been on a cartridge as well.

Just curious... makes me wonder what other games probably could have just been on a cartridge as well.

Fact that Iron Soldier II is available on cartridge, is pretty telling really.

If the JagCD added more RAM to the system and CD games really took advantage of that, could have turned the Jaguar into a slightly different machine. As it is, CD games are hampered by limitations, just like the Amiga CD32 and TG-16. Great, so you have cut scenes and CD quality (sometimes) background music while playing. At least with the TG-16/Turbo Duo, they released cards that boosted the memory available to their CD add-ons. IIRC, no added RAM, but the Genny CD got a faster processor inside their CD units.

Fact that Iron Soldier II is available on cartridge, is pretty telling really.

If the JagCD added more RAM to the system and CD games really took advantage of that, could have turned the Jaguar into a slightly different machine. As it is, CD games are hampered by limitations, just like the Amiga CD32 and TG-16. Great, so you have cut scenes and CD quality (sometimes) background music while playing. At least with the TG-16/Turbo Duo, they released cards that boosted the memory available to their CD add-ons. IIRC, no added RAM, but the Genny CD got a faster processor inside their CD units.

That's a good point... the cartridge that saves the games (forgot what it was called) could have come with some extra ram... that definitely could have helped.

What is a Genny?

I have a Jaguar CD player... bought it new from Go Atari back in the day. I just don't like playing it because I don't want to mess it up.

Primal Rage CD was already kind of cut back as it was. I'd honestly hate to see what it would function like on cart.. Space limitations would probably be the biggest issue though. Unless you want a version more akin to the 32X cart, and even that one to a degree looks like the Genesis game packed into a 32X shell.

• Like 1

A Genny is a Sega Genesis. The cartridge that saved cd games was the memory track. Keep in mind that cartridges took longer to make and cost more too. That may have been a reason they decided to release pr on disc. Also, of the cd games that were also released on cartidge I seem to remember certain things being cut from the cartridge version. Mostly video scenes.

That's a good point... the cartridge that saves the games (forgot what it was called) could have come with some extra ram... that definitely could have helped.

What is a Genny?

I have a Jaguar CD player... bought it new from Go Atari back in the day. I just don't like playing it because I don't want to mess it up.

I guess they could do a decent enough cart version if they wanted. CDs offer more space for animation, but then again... I recall the Sega-CD, which unlike the Jaguar CD really had additional hardware power still having trouble due to slow access times. I don't know which weighs heavier, the slow speed of old disc drives or the limited memory on cartridge.

Okay.. I'll bite. 3DO was:

A. CD based (not ROM)

B. Needed less frames of animation to look good because it was animated - not stop motion.

C. 3DO was hyped at the start whereas the Jag was a gamble most developers and retailers were wary of.

D. The 3DO sold at least 8x the number of units as the Jaguar.

• Like 1

Does Primal Rage really need to be on a CD?

Doesn't really need to be on a cart either, does it? ;)

A. CD based (not ROM)

B. Needed less frames of animation to look good because it was animated - not stop motion.

C. 3DO was hyped at the start whereas the Jag was a gamble most developers and retailers were wary of.

A) SSF2 Turbo is around 2MB in ROM.

B) Sounds like it should've been no sweat, then.

C) Hype? Atari used to be synonymous with arcades. Panasonic made desk phones.

• Like 2

Sorry for being extra confusing today :) I guess I'll clairfy:

The 3DO got a home version of SSF2 because Tripp made sure everyone thought the 3DO was new and hot. Atari failed to generate the hype needed for major third party developers.

We are still talking about reasons Primal Rage was on a CD and not cart based. Stop motion doesn't look as good as cartoon on low frame rates (needed on cartridges.)

Why? I play mine constantly. I even play audio CD's on it at parties just for the trippy VLM. I think as long as you are not abusing it, it will be fine. Worst case you can have the CD drive repaired at a local Electronics Hospital...

A. CD based (not ROM)

..or we could just go with "D" for the Street Fighter analogy: The 3DO had a slightly greater significant presence in Japan, quite a few whom of which developed for the platform (Capcom and Konami being a couple of the major ones).

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I own the Jag CD, Sega 32x, snes and Playstation ports of Primal Rage. Sure...you can enjoy primal rage on a cart. But it's almost like editing a 2 hour movie into an hour and 15 minutes. The cart versions resolution is just awful. Claymation sprites look way better on CD. Both 32x and snes versions are borderline unplayable. Their combo system was cut, no juggling as far as I can tell and the game as a total just does not have a arcade feel to it. They even removed certain special moves and fatalities! playstation port is the closest to arcade but also has its issues. EXTREMELY long loading time. As well as awkward positioning of loading time. You can never see your characters full victory taunt when you win a match because it freezes to load.

Not surprisingly I prefer the Atari jaguar Cd version. It is really close to being arcade perfect. It has the cheering sound effect cut from many others, it doesn't have those stupid computer rendered sluggish cut scenes that were added in the playstation and 3do ports at the last minute and it looks and sounds like the arcade. Most importantly it PLAYS like the arcade. However I would never suggest playing it without the pro Controller. The only issue with the Jaguar version is probe forgot to zoom in the picture just a bit more. Because of this the characters are a bit smaller than usual but they are definitely bigger than cartridge ports, and the background ends before the screen does! You can see a black edge. It is an embarrassingly glaring and noticible flaw, However due to this being one of the best ports for this game I learned to overlook it. But if only they zoomed in just a little I could boast that the atari jaguar has the best port of Primal rage. ....it's a shame

Edited by Scorponok

Also yes clay fighter does indeed look decent on the Snes (NOT the Genesis though ) But the reason for that is because it isn't a port at all. Clay fighter was designed to play on the Super Nintendo. Primal rage was ported from the Arcade and looked awful on snes. So sluggish....minus well have the game boy version.

It probably would have been fine on a cart on the Jag but they would have had to cut out the sweet CGI startup video.

Other than that I think it looks just a tiny bit worse on the jag than on the 3DO but I prefer it on the Jag with two pro-controllers and my special combo's printout close at hand..great game. Still need to pick up the definitive home version (Saturn) :)