IGNORED

Oh man, just bought a total turd of an arcade...

82-T/A

I bought an old Zaxxon. It's barely recognizable as a Zaxxon, and while it does have the PCB in it, it doesn't actually come with a screen, and it's missing the control panel. I only paid $43 for it... but I'm paying $415 for shipping, hahah... oh well.

Only reason why I bought it is because I want to make a MAME cabinet, and I really, really liked the design of the machine, and liked the orientation of the monitor compared with some of the others. If I'm sitting on a bar stool to play, it's right in my face, so I'm pretty pleased with that.

I don't think I'll use a regular tube screen, so I'll probably have to find a large SVGA monitor. Before wide-screen was the big thing, they used to sell VGA monitors that were perfectly square. This is probably what I'll end up installing.

I have a "Get Arcade" and then I'll use a thin client to run my MAME games.

Not to figure out what to do for sound...

$T2eC16FHJG8E9nyfmF)wBRv8g)0ONg~~60_57.J

• Like 2

Heaviest damned cabinet ever!

I've made Multicades out of Sega cabs before. But wait... you really paid $415 to have this shipped?? Shouldn't be a shortage of this crap down in FL, is there??

Check out http://www.gameongrafix.com to get a custom marquee and its acrylic protector made.

Can always just get a switching power supply, cheap Kraco car amp and speakers for sound.

...and Steven might be able to help with a control panel, monitor and other parts at http://arcadeshop.com

Good luck!

Heaviest damned cabinet ever!

I've made Multicades out of Sega cabs before. But wait... you really paid $415 to have this shipped?? Shouldn't be a shortage of this crap down in FL, is there??

Check out http://www.gameongrafix.com to get a custom marquee and its acrylic protector made.

Can always just get a switching power supply, cheap Kraco car amp and speakers for sound.

...and Steven might be able to help with a control panel, monitor and other parts at http://arcadeshop.com

Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah, just paid $414 shipped... not thrilled, haha... but I REALLY like the cabinet. Thanks for the info about the monitor! $249 isn't the best price in the world... but depending on how much money I put into this, it may be worth it.

I found the info about the Marquee graphics site a few days ago... I'm definitely going to do it. I don't really want anything that says MAME or anything like that, but I had a REALLY good idea for the marque that I'm going for...

I present you with (hahaha):

polybius-1-1.jpg

• Like 2

I only paid $43 for it... but I'm paying $415 for shipping, hahah... oh well.

:-o

Whaaa?

Damn, man...I paid $100 for my perfectly working Zaxxon. It's hard to GIVE the things away. Heck, I could've given you an empty Data East cab gratis.

:-o

Whaaa?

Damn, man...I paid $100 for my perfectly working Zaxxon. It's hard to GIVE the things away. Heck, I could've given you an empty Data East cab gratis.

That's pretty much what shipping is now. Thing is, that's door to door service. If the guy who I bought it from was willing to take it to the shipping center, that would keep it just at $200...

Yeah, my Missile Command that I have now, I think I paid $125 for it, but that was back in 1998.

No way....my Out Run stand up was over 700 lbs. That thing nearly killed me when I moved it into my last house. It was so heavy, we decided to leave it there for the new tenants when we left!!!! :lolblue:

Hahahahaha!

I need to qualify my statement - Zaxxon and other like minded Sega cabs, have got to be the heaviest regular video upright (sans driving game) cabs around. ;)

Funny you mention leaving OutRun behind... I've got a Virtua Racing upright (500lbs) in my basement and yeah - plan on doing the same exact thing. :lol:

• Like 1

Hahahahaha!

I need to qualify my statement - Zaxxon and other like minded Sega cabs, have got to be the heaviest regular video upright (sans driving game) cabs around. ;)

Funny you mention leaving OutRun behind... I've got a Virtua Racing upright (500lbs) in my basement and yeah - plan on doing the same exact thing. :lol:

I rented out my house for about 2.5 years, and when I was moving out, I had to leave this behind (see image). It weighs in around ~750-800 pounds. I ended up pushing it in a corner of the garage, putting a bag of silica dessicant on the bottom, and wrapping the entire thing in serran wrap, and then built a wood box around it. I told the lady it was part of the A/C system in the garage.

455_Main.JPG

Edited by 82-T/A
  • Like 4

Ah man, if you are in Florida you should have hit us up over at the Florida Arcade and Pinball Collectors group , we could have hooked you up with a working game for around $100-$200 and if you just wanted an empty cabinet probably free.

Not sure how good of a mame cabinet zaxxon would make, its a bit of an odd shape for that but if you end up needing parts like a monitor, etc. let us know and we can find you something locally. We have a bunch of guys who are really good at doing MAME cabinets as well that can help if you need advice there. I wouldn't do a thin client I'd just slap a PC in there and if you can a legit arcade monitor and JPAC it.

But yeah.. Shipping is completely insane on arcade machines and really should only be a solution if its a really rare (or valuable) game to justify the $400 additional fee.

• Like 1

Hahahahaha!

I've moved just about everything, including an outrun and i've got to say the heaviest is still Gauntlet Legends. That thing is a beast. I can get an outrun in/out of a truck by myself but trying to unload a GL by myself almost killed me one day.

Ah man, if you are in Florida you should have hit us up over at the Florida Arcade and Pinball Collectors group , we could have hooked you up with a working game for around $100-$200 and if you just wanted an empty cabinet probably free.

Not sure how good of a mame cabinet zaxxon would make, its a bit of an odd shape for that but if you end up needing parts like a monitor, etc. let us know and we can find you something locally. We have a bunch of guys who are really good at doing MAME cabinets as well that can help if you need advice there. I wouldn't do a thin client I'd just slap a PC in there and if you can a legit arcade monitor and JPAC it.

But yeah.. Shipping is completely insane on arcade machines and really should only be a solution if its a really rare (or valuable) game to justify the $400 additional fee.

Thanks man, I will definitely hit you guys up and join the group if I can.

Whaaaaat??? Just clicked the link. What is this about a BBS? Was "The Village BBS" an old school BBS back in the day with dialup modem and ProComm Plus / TeleMate / Telix? Wow... that brings up memories.

Thanks for the invite, I'll join once I get down there.

Yeah we started off as a WWIV BBS back in 1992, switched to the web around 2000.

Going on our 22nd year

But yeah definitely hit us up for arcade stuff in florida.. avoiding shipping was the main reason the arcade portion was started awhile back.

AWESOME! I used to run a WWIV BBS back in the day... I think I used 4.21a, man... it was awesome. We had Trade Wars 2002, BBS Drag Race, Lord, Usurper, and a bunch of other door games... man, those were the days.

• 2 weeks later...

No way....my Out Run stand up was over 700 lbs. That thing nearly killed me when I moved it into my last house. It was so heavy, we decided to leave it there for the new tenants when we left!!!! :lolblue:

Gentlemen,I present to you:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT4rfdW73nw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eyUOBsrjDY

Edited by xDragonWarrior
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I remember over 10 years ago buying perhaps the greatest arcade game ever made named Solar Warrior on ebay for only 75.00 and had it shipped to a dock near me for only 150.00 . I cant understand how the shipping would be over 400 for that ! I know 150.00 was a steal but 400 for an empty cab is crazy . And I will leave you with a video , enjoy ! :grin:

Edited by AtariBrian
  • Like 1

That's pretty much what shipping is now. Thing is, that's door to door service. If the guy who I bought it from was willing to take it to the shipping center, that would keep it just at $200...

Yeah, my Missile Command that I have now, I think I paid $125 for it, but that was back in 1998.

Well, I may soon need to ship a machine from Dallas to Fargo. What shipping company would you guys recommend? Which one did you use that offered "Door to Door?"