IGNORED

Arcade Games You Want On the ColecoVision

VectorGamer

Arcade CV Games  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What arcade ports would you like see for CV?

• Donkey Kong 3
    • Any Pac-Man Yet To Be Released
    • Pole Position
    • Radar Scope
    • Zookeeper
    • Bosconian
    • Other
    • None
  2. 2. What arcade ports would you like to see redone?

• Time Pilot
    • Mappy
    • Rally-X
    • Dig Dug
    • Galaga
    • Other
    • None

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Well, maybe it's not as wrong as making a game from an existing IP

But the point is you're paying for modified graphics!

Both you and me knows how easy it is to simply modify existing graphics!

If they were selling DK2 themselves, I would be ok to pay for the game.... but for GFXs ? No

Or I would gladly pay if it was original creations from them

Huh, what? Have you actually played this arcade hack? It's definately more, MUCH more than just a graphic hack. The game was profoundly modified from the original version, with lots of new features, including Pac-Man-style intermissions between levels.

Have a long hard look at this video and you'll see everything that's not in the original game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP4EOu1EWCI

So if someone want fantasy graphics for an existing game, hit me!

It will be a pleasure to ask you $$$$ for doing it!

Ghost n Goblins 2 .... Donkey Kong Jr 2 ..... Jungle Hunt 2 .... Bc's Quest for Tires 3

Your choice!

:lol:

Seriously?

Yes, very seriously. :twisted:

Huh, what? Have you actually played this arcade hack? It's definately more, MUCH more than just a graphic hack. The game was profoundly modified from the original version, with lots of new features, including Pac-Man-style intermissions between levels.Have a long hard look at this video and you'll see everything that's not in the original game.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP4EOu1EWCI Yes, very seriously. :twisted:

Yeah, I know all that and It's really cool

And YES, I played it in my MAME

The point is not that

We create a special level in CV Mario

If someone used all the graphics and features of the CV port and use those to create his MSX port , then by your saying he should pay me. doesn't make any sense to me

Don't get me wrong though, I really appreciate this game and I saw they sold complete arcade cabinet artwork (wich you pay for the printing service) is all cool to me

And it's not like you are not able to draw the graphics yourself and IF you were to hire someone to make DK graphics to be used in your game....then, I think you're paying for a service, not the artworks themselves

Now, if someone was going to make DK2 (wich would be awesome) , then you send the guy a couple of copies of your port as a way to say thanks ....( Wich seems pretty obvious to me)

And at "worst" you could always give a kind of donation to say, Thanks for doing this amazing hack

But, the guy can't simply ask money for this

Edited by retroillucid

Yeah, I know all that and It's really cool

And YES, I played it in my MAME

The point is not that

We create a special level in CV Mario

If someone used all the graphics and features of the CV port and use those to create his MSX port , then by your saying he should pay me. doesn't make any sense to me

Don't get me wrong though, I really appreciate this game and I saw they sold complete arcade cabinet artwork (wich you pay for the printing service) is all cool to me

And it's not like you are not able to draw the graphics yourself and IF you were to hire someone to make DK graphics to be used in your game....then, I think you're paying for a service, not the artworks themselves

I don't think you really understand what I'm saying here, because it's obvious you're not a programmer. DK2 is not your typical arcade hack. It contains a truck load of additional programming, which must have taken many hours to develop, code and troubleshoot. The guy probably spent as much time developing DK2 as Nintendo itself spent on developing the original arcade DK.

Obviously, a guy can't ask for payment for a minor ROM hack, but DK2 is definately NOT a minor ROM hack. It was a major homebrew endeavour, it's in a league all its own, and the guy deserves all the respect (and money) he can get for his work.

Now, if someone was going to make DK2 (wich would be awesome) , then you send the guy a couple of copies of your port as a way to say thanks ....( Wich seems pretty obvious to me)

And at "worst" you could always give a kind of donation to say, Thanks for doing this amazing hack

But, the guy can't simply ask money for this

Sorry, my friend, but I simply cannot agree with you. If I were in the hack author's place, having spent that much time to alter an arcade game, I wouldn't settle for a couple of free copies of the CV version of my pride and joy. It's regrettable that the guy asks for too much where a CV version is concerned, but in this specific case, I can understand the position he's in.

• Like 1

I don't think you really understand what I'm saying here, because it's obvious you're not a programmer. DK2 is not your typical arcade hack. It contains a truck load of additional programming, which must have taken many hours to develop, code and troubleshoot. The guy probably spent as much time developing DK2 as Nintendo itself spent on developing the original arcade DK.Obviously, a guy can't ask for payment for a minor ROM hack, but DK2 is definately NOT a minor ROM hack. It was a major homebrew endeavour, it's in a league all its own, and the guy deserves all the respect (and money) he can get for his work. Sorry, my friend, but I simply cannot agree with you. If I were in the hack author's place, having spent that much time to alter an arcade game, I wouldn't settle for a couple of free copies of the CV version of my pride and joy. It's regrettable that the guy asks for too much where a CV version is concerned, but in this specific case, I can understand the position he's in.

Same thing applied for a guy making a game from scratch for the CV wich took more than a year to complete like Mario

Doesn't give the right to sell the damn thing!

Same thing applied for a guy making a game from scratch for the CV wich took more than a year to complete like Mario

Doesn't give the right to sell the damn thing!

For the sake of argument, is this "game made from scratch" a totally original creation? Let's say someone wants to make a Commodore 64 version of Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death, are you telling me you're going to let him do it without asking for anything in return?

• Like 1

For the sake of argument, is this "game made from scratch" a totally original creation? Let's say someone wants to make a Commodore 64 version of Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death, are you telling me you're going to let him do it without asking for anything in return?

Now you're funny Luc!

Sydney Hunter IS an ORIGINAL creation

If someone is doing the exact Mario game we did, what can I do?!

Nothing! I'm not the respective owner of the IP

Simple as that!

Now if the guy did the CV DK2 port than I would have nothing against it!

Even CIB , wich I think you only pay for the programmer, electronic assembly, printing , shipping

Edited by retroillucid

Now you're funny Luc!

Sydney Hunter IS an ORIGINAL creation

If someone is doing the exact Mario game we did, what could I do?!

Well yeah, but there's a difference. In fact, it's a bit of a grey area in terms of using a commercial franchise (like Mario Bros) versus the amount of time/effort/money invested in creating your own version of the game.

If someone was to make a version of Mario Bros for a different gaming platform, then you couldn't ask for money mainly because Mario Bros is not your property. I undertand that side of your argument. But where DK2 is concerned, that's comparing apples and oranges: I'm not saying that the guy should be payed money because he owns the game (because he obviously doesn't own Donkey Kong in any way) but rather because he invested a huge amount of time and effort into his hack, and the result is impressive enough that it can be labelled as a brand new game.

From a programmer's point of view, DK2 is a work of art, one that deserves special recognition. All I'm really saying is that such recognition is worth a certain sum of money. Just how much money is up to debate, but in this specific case, the guy is entitled to earn something for all the trouble he put himself through to carry such an ambitious homebrew project all the way to the end.

Well yeah, but there's a difference. In fact, it's a bit of a grey area in terms of using a commercial franchise (like Mario Bros) versus the amount of time/effort/money invested in creating your own version of the game.If someone was to make a version of Mario Bros for a different gaming platform, then you couldn't ask for money mainly because Mario Bros is not your property. I undertand that side of your argument. But where DK2 is concerned, that's comparing apples and oranges: I'm not saying that the guy should be payed money because he owns the game (because he obviously doesn't own Donkey Kong in any way) but rather because he invested a huge amount of time and effort into his hack, and the result is impressive enough that it can be labelled as a brand new game.From a programmer's point of view, DK2 is a work of art, one that deserves special recognition. All I'm really saying is that such recognition is worth a certain sum of money. Just how much money is up to debate, but in this specific case, the guy is entitled to earn something for all the trouble he put himself through to carry such an ambitious homebrew project all the way to the end.

Sure Luc, i know the guy surely put alot of works into his hack, I'm not denying this

Now, if the guy had Nintendo's permission (wich I honestly don't know) and he could sell his game

Hell, in this case I would understand!

I've seen super great games made from scratch by fans, just take 8 bit MegaMan for PC

Man! Those are awesome too!!

They can't sell you the code source to make it for, let's say Steam

What I mean to say is, you pay the guy (wich I could understand) but even then, you don't have Big N permission to make your version

If were to pay for graphics, I would want A. Original graphics or B. Liscence form the owner

Edited by retroillucid

Suppose you pay the guy to have the right to port the game to CV. you do it , and you sell it.

Then Nintendo see you are selling a DK game . Nintendo could sue you . I'm not sure if you claim that you buy the right from the other guy will change something....

the fact is if you port DK 2 to CV , the guy who made the Hack CAN NOT send you to justice. But Nintendo Could sue both of you!

That's clear DK 2 is a more than a graphic hack. It is lot of work behind and very well done. And i agree that we shouldn't port the Game to C.V without author's authorization.

But ,I think the author in not in position to ask money to give that Authorisation. He can say : yes or no , but not ask money (at least large amount) for a Yes. (even if i think if you sell the port , he would deserve some fees )

(all what i said would make no sense , if , of course, the guy have a kind of agreement with Nintendo , that i don't know )

Edited by youki
  • Like 4

Here is an arcade game that I think would fit into the ColecoVision library very nicely:

Time Pilot '84

Troy

I just had a look at a YouTube video of the arcade game, and it seems to me like the NES would be a better platform for a home version of that game. Just my two cents. :)

I didn't want to start a new thread for this but I noticed a screen on one of the ColecoVision commercials showing Zaxxon playing with an interesting screen (see attached picture). It shows the number of enemy ships with a fighter plane symbol on the bottom right.

Was this a part of the Zaxxon prototype and then removed when finally released?

Kind of neat.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho0RRwN3q-A

post-4618-0-87810100-1394319633_thumb.jpg

Edited by chuckwalla

I didn't want to start a new thread for this but I noticed a screen on one of the ColecoVision commercials showing Zaxxon playing with an interesting screen (see attached picture). It shows the number of enemy ships with a fighter plane symbol on the bottom right.

Was this a part of the Zaxxon prototype and then removed when finally released?

Tough to say for sure one way or the other. The laser sound effect when fired from the ship sounds exatly like the released CV version, but the player score font (letters and numbers) is completely different from the released version. So it looks like this version of Zaxxon is indeed an in-development/proto version.

Edited by NIAD

Tough to say for sure one way or the other. The laser sound effect when fired from the ship sounds exatly like the released CV version, but the player score font (letters and numbers) is completely different from the released version. So it looks like this version of Zaxxon is indeed an in-development/proto version.

Wow! Never noticed that before!

Looks like they were using the lower case coleco fonts for this (early) version

post-11933-0-72432000-1394321142_thumb.jpg

I just had a look at a YouTube video of the arcade game, and it seems to me like the NES would be a better platform for a home version of that game. Just my two cents. :)

Perhaps, but perhaps like all arcade games it could be converted for the ColecoVision. With all of the new technology available for developing and playing games now, it is possible to convert it and even look much like it would for the NES. Also, as Time Pilot was converted for the CV originally, it seems that Time Pilot '84 would have been made if the crash had not occurred. As long as I am speculating, perhaps a homebrew producer that is looking to market both CV games and NES games would be interested in converting Time Pilot '84 for both! :)

Perhaps, but perhaps like all arcade games it could be converted for the ColecoVision. With all of the new technology available for developing and playing games now, it is possible to convert it and even look much like it would for the NES. Also, as Time Pilot was converted for the CV originally, it seems that Time Pilot '84 would have been made if the crash had not occurred. As long as I am speculating, perhaps a homebrew producer that is looking to market both CV games and NES games would be interested in converting Time Pilot '84 for both! :)

I think the gameplay on CV would not be that fast and the scrolling would choppy

Yes, it seems to be a very early prototype. Even if you look at the little part of ground we see and that scrolls.. you can see graphism are not really done yet and the scroll is very choppy compared to the final version. (here it would scroll more like the Sg1000 or MSX version yet ). Zaxxon on coleco has a smoother scroll (not smooth but smoother than other version using TMS VDP) , i think they scroll by 4 pixels step where other are 8.

In addition, i would think if graphism was more advanced and or if enemies sprites where present they would show them in the advert... because here it is the only game where they show almost nothing...lol..