IGNORED

Arcade Games You Want On the ColecoVision

VectorGamer

Arcade CV Games  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What arcade ports would you like see for CV?

• Donkey Kong 3
    • Any Pac-Man Yet To Be Released
    • Pole Position
    • Radar Scope
    • Zookeeper
    • Bosconian
    • Other
    • None
  2. 2. What arcade ports would you like to see redone?

• Time Pilot
    • Mappy
    • Rally-X
    • Dig Dug
    • Galaga
    • Other
    • None

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Poor guy... be ready to forget about Retrogaming and other hobbies very soon...

In my case, before getting married I would be able to code 10 Cv games per year. (unfortunally at this time i was not aware that Devkit existed on C.V and that crazy guys :) were ready to produce CIB cartridge!!!) .

After that , i could manage to code 2-3 homebrew per year. (that would be not bad)

then the first baby comes... the rate go down to 1 hombrew per year...

then the 2nd baby comes... the rate go doew to 1 homebrew per 1.5 year... (and because i force and i do only that in my free time! i can not even play video games!)

:(

So don't plan to much projects for the 10 coming years ! ;)

Try having four kids and see where that leaves you :) On the other hand my eldest moved out a few weeks ago, so I actually get to to use a TV occasionally, so things are improving :)

OK, thanks to this thread I've been playing Nato Defense and the other Pacific Novelty games for a coupla hours. Never checked them out before - while not exactly technical marvels, to have speech in a game like that in the early 80s woulda seemed damned cool. I'm pretty sure even the Intellivoice couldn't include over *8 minutes* of audio tracks like Nato Defense has. :P You'd need one hell of a large cart.

What I can't figure out is exactly how the audio worked. The operators manual claims the explosion sounds also come from the tape - MAME basically just plays the voice track continuously, perhaps it was actually like that in the arcade unit, and auto-reversed to play explosion noise on the other side? So you'd get a bit of a repeat of the voice track once the explosion was done. I wonder what happened if you got to the end of the tape? The game actually got me thinking - 8-track would have been PERFECT to have basically continuous audio with several options available. Surprised no one ever tried.

I gotta think it's one big loop. But the operators manual talks about circuitry used to control the tape positioning, almost as if the game would seek for specific tracks to play. Given how anal the MAME devs are in recreating the real experience, I figured it must just be a continuous loop.

But I don't know if it's endless (ie: on both sides), IF the explosion sounds are also on tape. No idea how they'd make that work if so. And the manual very clearly states that the explosion sounds are on tape.

• 2 weeks later...

Although Front Line already exists on the CV, but I'd love to have more terrain for it.

So it would be the exact same game, just more land to traverse between the beginning and the main gun turret.

It could be really simple too. Just change a few colors, move some walls, rocks, and foliage around. Place empty tanks here and there and voila!

Although Front Line already exists on the CV, but I'd love to have more terrain for it.

So it would be the exact same game, just more land to traverse between the beginning and the main gun turret.

It could be really simple too. Just change a few colors, move some walls, rocks, and foliage around. Place empty tanks here and there and voila!

Game hacks are relatively common and relatively "easy" on the Atari 2600. Does anyone know how much more difficult that is on other contemporary systems like the ColecoVision?

Game hacks are relatively common and relatively "easy" on the Atari 2600. Does anyone know how much more difficult that is on other contemporary systems like the ColecoVision?

Many other systems lend themselves to this, so long as the graphic data is represented essentially as bitmaps. Color can be trickier if you don't understand the underlying architecture (Intellivision can trick people). Once you get into the NES realm, you pretty much need specialized tools for decoding graphics. But given the variety of tools available, it's pretty simple for the basic stuff.

CV is one system I haven't even sniffed at, but I suspect it's not quite as trivial as the 2600. The sprites are just more complex and you have a larger palette space to work with.

Oh! Then, I'm all with you!

I guess the only "real" way to play Defender is with the real Arcade cabinet

I mean.....controls are so unique to this game

You've my vote :)

I also have a defender cocktail cabinet :) I have a soft spot for cocktail cabs and any cabs with unique controls! Edited by Hyperboy
  • Like 2

Semi-old thread - can't remember if these games were mentioned but they would be cool on the CV as well:

Magical Spot II

Satan of Saturn

Megattack

Space Firebird

Cosmic Alien

Been playing a bit of Time Pilot the last couple of days. We need a Time Pilot Arcade since there are so many things not right with the original release.

I also have a defender cocktail cabinet :) I have a soft spot for cocktail cabs and any cabs with unique controls!

In the late-90s, I stopped by an arcade vendor to get a replacement battery for a TRON coin-op. In the back they had HUNDREDS of cocktail units stacked up.

I was broke at the time, so I couldn't afford to buy any of them. Now the machines are all gone. :(

Where they went is anyone's guess (the people there aren't exactly friendly).

In the late-90s, I stopped by an arcade vendor to get a replacement battery for a TRON coin-op. In the back they had HUNDREDS of cocktail units stacked up.

I was broke at the time, so I couldn't afford to buy any of them. Now the machines are all gone. :(

Where they went is anyone's guess (the people there aren't exactly friendly).

I'm almost sure they throw one by one in the trash and at some point they would gave it away for free.

• 1 year later...

There's been a lot of talk about what ports should be on the CV, so I've made it into this poll to put everything in one place. This should serve as a place to discuss ideas, and developers can see what people are wanting.

If Other, post what game(s) you'd like.

Edited by arcade124