IGNORED

My humble collection of pre-NES games

Beliskner

I am a member on NintendoAge for quite a while now and finally decided to jump in here as well :).

While my main focus isn't on Atari systems just yet it will be soon enough. I am basically a completist collector because I keep everything I don't own yet but I just focus on four systems at a time. One pre NES system, one system between NES and the millenium, one system that came 2000 or after and finally one handheld system. I do this to keep myself entertained and have a good mix. With actively collecting I mean that I even pick up some of the common titles online when I have some spare money. For other systems I just pick out games that I find interesting or I can find at a good deal.

Now for the collection. The system I currently collect for in the pre NES era is the Philips Videopac which is obviously the european Odyssey 2. It's gotten very difficult for me to pick up games for this collection because I'm getting pretty close now with only eleven games missing for what I consider to be the complete set. The reason I don't have most of them is because they are ridiculously hard to get and never for sale ;). I'm slowly getting more into the Atari 2600 now which is the next system I'll try to conquer in the pre NES era. Something that will be tough as nails but we'll see how far I can get.

Here are some pictures of the oldschool collection. The Atari 2600 is the only Atari system I have games for besides the Lynx which isn't pictured. Also not pictured is my near complete PAL Microvision set all CIB. Only missing a boxed system to get it fully complete. Systems I still want: Intellivision, Atari 7800, Saba Videoplay (Fairchild), Interton VC4000.

My boxed 2600 games by Atari. Nothing too amazing here but some classic titles. Got some of these at a flea market for really cheap.

8DC1A08A-EB70-EDC6-25F04E5AF56F06BC.png

One thing I really love about the 2600 are all the different kinds of boxes. I don't have many of them but I think that King Kong CIB is pretty awesome. I have a few cartridges without boxes but most of these actually have manuals. Rarest one in the loose carts is definitely Ram It! which I also have the manual for.

8DC1D8FA-FCA4-BBBE-4C7AF9E473544AF5.png

Colecovision collection. Got most of these in a lot last summer with a system and the steering wheel which you can see in the background. Only two boxed games. I have some of the essentials covered but it's still a very small collection. The Parker game is Tutankham and the one to the far right is BC's Quest for Tires. So I got some decently uncommon titles there. Actually every single loose game here has a manual except for Mr. Do! and Carnival.

8DC20EED-A2B6-BBF1-DC8EF44684FF6C26.png

Now the Videopac collction. I have most of the numbered games 53 and lower. I am only missing 31, 45 and 46. 41 and 42 I have loose cartridges which is kinda dumb since they're two of the three board games :P.

Still missing most the ridiculously rare titles but I'm glad to have the ones I have. Highlights include the C7010 Chess with the manual, #48 Backgammon (no manual) and Demon Attack (no manual). Trying to get the cardboard variants as I go as well as the Videopac+ variants that came before #48. With #48 they obviously started releasing Videopac+ games only.

8DC259C1-F467-0BCC-8F90C082D9E07EB8.png

• Like 4

What is a VideoPac? Those look like Odyseey2 carts a little

The Videopac is just the european Odyssey 2. Not the only console with a different name. The Fairchild Channel F was called Saba Videoplay. A lot of the Videopac games are the same as the ones for the Odyssey 2 ;)

I never understood that, NES came out in 83, VCS, Coleco, O2 were still going strong.

The NES came out in 1983 in Japan but only came out in late 1985 in North America and finally in 1986 in Europe. Actually the Colecovision was discontinued in North America the same month the NES came out. The O2 already died over a year earlier ;). Sure the 2600 was still sold and games were made throughout the 80's but its glory days were long over once the NES became relevant.

The Videopac is just the european Odyssey 2. Not the only console with a different name. The Fairchild Channel F was called Saba Videoplay. A lot of the Videopac games are the same as the ones for the Odyssey 2 ;)

The NES came out in 1983 in Japan but only came out in late 1985 in North America and finally in 1986 in Europe. Actually the Colecovision was discontinued in North America the same month the NES came out. The O2 already died over a year earlier ;). Sure the 2600 was still sold and games were made throughout the 80's but its glory days were long over once the NES became relevant.

Try the Atari 7800 which has a limited amount of games to collect, and the Intellivision my favorite system which is not impossible to complete, yet may cost you around 12,000. American to get there.

and, mostly welcome to this forum!

Every country has different release dates for any console, makes no difference if the original release was in Japan, US or Malta. VCS was released in 77 in USA but early 80s in Japan. always the original release is relevant.

Atari 2600 glory days are never over.

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

Willkommen bei AtariAge :-).

It surprises me that you actually find Saba, Videopac and Colecovision stuff on flea markets at all. Here in my area of Germany, I can consider myself happy when I find an occasional common 2600 cart.

Thanks man :)

I haven't found any Saba, Videopac or Colecovision stuff at flea markets yet but I got a Colecovision + Atari 2600 lot with both the systems the steering wheel and about 18 games (mostly Colecovision) from the local classifieds for pretty cheap. I found a total of eight boxed 2600 at the flea markets though and they averaged out to a little under 4€ a piece. No super awesome titles but that small collection included Frogger and the Winter Games and California Games in the cardboard boxes.

This was also the only time I found anything at a flea market that was older than NES. At a normal day I just find PS2 sports games that people want 5-10€ for because they were 30€ new and I get a good deal with that :mad:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like that, not to many seem to collect for microvision.

It's a nice thing to have, display and talk about. However playing that thing is nothing special. It's not comfortable at all, the batteries are stupid and the games just aren't anything special.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a nice little Intellivision collection off of eBay to get me started on this system. Boxed system with 22 boxed complete games. Pretty happy with it because most the games are in really good shape. Obviously no really tough to find titles in here but it's over one fourth of the entire PAL set already. Still loads to go :)

7108275D-C0BE-A004-2093B7CF7B3176A6.png

• 2 weeks later...

I just got three more Colecovision games for the collection today and broke the 30 game mark. So that's over 20% to the complete international set now and who the hell knows what an actual PAL set for that console is :-D. Not in this picture are my two lonely boxed games Looping and Smurf. The two games without end labels are Miner 2049er and The Heist :). As you can see I sort these games by company. I do that with all my old school games.

0D519F13-EBB5-E097-E292DD593522D82F.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have quite a few Microvision games. As a kid I had a lot of fun with Sea Duel and Alien Raiders. It was definitely clunky, but it was the first cartridge system I owned and I thought it was pretty cool at the time. I have all the games for it but Super Blockbuster, only a few are CIB though. Nice collection, thanks for sharing!

I like that, not to many seem to collect for microvision.