IGNORED

What Does Complete Mean to You?

cvga

I've been trying to fill out my Turbografx collection. Turbo games are interesting because many of them were sold with an outer cardboard box with a jewel case inside. Unfortunately lots of Turbografx sellers on eBay list their auction as complete if it includes the game, instructions and jewel case. I guess they don't consider the outer box to be part of a complete package.

I don't think it's complete unless everything is there. What do you think?

I was checking out a Valis II auction today that was listed as complete so I sent the seller a question to see if it included the outer box. The picture was a stock photo which ironically is always the outer box for games that have them. He sent me back a reply that said, "No, hence why I say with manual and case after complete". Umm, dude, it's not complete then. I wish everyone would include an actual picture so I could see what it includes!

Just the game, manual, packaging, and any other bonus items (of some minor value). I don't expect to see warranty / safety notice cards or other garbage. Buy a sealed copy if you're after filler like that.

This isn't to say I'd list a game/box/manual on eBay and claim that it's complete; I would describe what is included & use an actual photo. But I don't expect any worthless leaflets when I buy something sold as 'complete'.

Edited by Rex Dart

Yeah, but if the seller isn't all that knowledgeable about the platform, then the case, manual and game would probably seem complete..

Not excusing it, but I can see a seller thinking that what they had was complete...

(Of course, I can see sellers saying "complete" just to get more people to buy, but I'm a cynic at heart.)

I know I've bought computer games that were "complete" but didn't come with the registration card.

Doesn't matter to me (I'm not buying for collectible reasons), but I can see people being upset about that..

I can also see someone selling a game thinking "box, manual, EA brochure, disks... That's complete."

I don't expect sellers on e-bay to be researching what they are selling (and I expect them to stretch the truth), so if I don't see a pic with everything I want, I don't bid...

(or I suppose I'd ask the seller if I wasn't sure and really wanted it)

For me, "complete" is a more reliable word than "rare," but still doesn't mean all that much.. ;-)

desiv

It certainly matters more with some games. I recently bought a copy of A8 Wishbringer on eBay that was missing its glow-in-the-dark 'feelie' wishbringer stone. I didn't see it in the auction photos, and suspected that I wouldn't be getting it, but I was still saddened by its absence. I couldn't imagine any Infocom game considered complete without everything being present in it.

I agree. While I do consider registration cards and the likes as part of the complete set, I can live with them missing. In general, I don't expect them to be there unless I buy from Japan. If you rank conditions, in NA you get the worst stuff, incomplete and in bad condition. Europe comes second, a little better than stuff from NA. And Japan tops it all, you can buy 30 year old stuff that looks like new there, with everything in the box.

Stuff like the Infocom games really do need those extras, or they are not complete.

Other examples: Lots of copies of Ultima IV for the Master System are sold as complete when they have the box and manual. But they originally came with some "books" that made the experience complete. The game did not go into much detail, but you could read all about the world of Britannia in those books.

Phantasy Star II on the Genesis is most of the time missing the map and hint book too.

Edited by 108 Stars