IGNORED

Flappo Bird

YANDMAN

I wondered when the Flappy Bird ports would start showing up. Thanks for the link.

But it's totally original according to this page:

tacsgames.com/2014/02/08/flappo-bird-out-now-for-atari-2600/ :D :lol:

For those who don't know, this is another batari Basic game where the programmer seems to have spent hardly any time on the sound effects. You hear an annoying beep whenever you press the fire button. Seems like no attempt has been made to shape the sound effects. If sound can be compared to food, he just dumped it straight out of the can onto your plate. It's cold, congealed, and still shaped like the can.

He said "it only took a couple of hours to build once I’d got the tools set up" and it shows. You can get the basics of a game up and running in a couple of hours, but at least a few days should be spent bug testing and polishing (some people spend weeks or months). Spending a couple of hours making a rough first draft batari Basic game, then asking people to give you money for it is sickening. I know that people don't have to pay to play it, but it's still sickening to ask for money for an inferior product that you hardly spent any time on.

• Like 3

But it's totally original according to this page:

tacsgames.com/2014/02/08/flappo-bird-out-now-for-atari-2600/ :D :lol:

For those who don't know, this is another batari Basic game where the programmer seems to have spent hardly any time on the sound effects. You hear an annoying beep whenever you press the fire button. Seems like no attempt has been made to shape the sound effects. If sound can be compared to food, he just dumped it straight out of the can onto your plate. It's cold, congealed, and still shaped like the can.

He said "it only took a couple of hours to build once I’d got the tools set up" and it shows. You can get the basics of a game up and running in a couple of hours, but at least a few days should be spent bug testing and polishing (some people spend weeks or months). Spending a couple of hours making a rough first draft batari Basic game, then asking people to give you money for it is sickening. I know that people don't have to pay to play it, but it's still sickening to ask for money for an inferior product that you hardly spent any time on.

And this is why I've bashed bB in the past but I guess I've come to realize that shitty games shouldn't be blamed on the tools but lazy programmers who think that making one block shoot at another block is a "game"

Seriously there must be 50 of them by now

Changing the colors and sprites of a "my first program" sample is not a game

And it AMAZES me when people drop $40 for the "boxed edition"

Compare that to something like Endless Snow that had some thought behind it. I broke my no more paying for bB rule for that one.

And maybe I'm missing out here. Could make a few bucks on the side.

Edited by godzillajoe
  • Like 2

And maybe I'm missing out here. Could make a few bucks on the side.

Yep. All you need are 2 hours and an 'original' idea. You'll make millions! :D

We all know that there are plenty of crap games made with assembly language, so assembly language doesn't always mean quality. I hope people won't believe that all batari Basic games are automatically crap just because a lazy person can squat and squeeze out a rough version of a game in a couple of hours.

It's not batari Basic's fault that there are people who don't seem to care about quality. One of these days, an Atari 7800 version of batari Basic will be released and there will probably be quality games and lazy crap games made for that console too. I just hope Atari 7800 gamers will blame lazy programmers instead of blaming batari Basic.

• Like 2

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/T.A.C.S.+Games+news/news.asp?c=55769

An excerpt from an interview with Mr. Thomas Hopper: (developer of flappo bird)

"I've spoken with some of my fellow PSM developers who think there should be a minimum threshold for quality", he continues, "but I don't agree with them.

"Other mobile platforms get their fair share of rubbish, but PSM suffers particularly because there aren't as many high quality games arriving on the platform, and also because store doesn't filter on popularity like the App Store or Google Play does."

PlayStation Mobile, of course, has no such features and lacks even a search function – in order to find the good stuff, users have to sift through some garbage.

As Hopper says, it's the ratio of wheat to chaff that's worrying - an issue that would be far less problematic if there were a steady stream of great games regularly arriving on PSM.

Kind of a bit like the orginal industry crash of the early '80s, huh? Ton of games coming on the market for high prices made by every man and his dog. Eventually people will start to discriminate rather than buying everything in sight -- and demand will plummet and prices will plummet and soon it won't be worthwhile writing a game "for profit" and once again we'll be back to bugger all releases. Hopefully ;)

• Like 3

No, that was my point. I still think it makes it too easy for someone to poop out a "game" but I don't blame the tools. Just the "tools" :D

Yeah, I know. That was probably my 10th rewrite, deleting sentences, moving sentences and all that crap, but my post still wasn't turning out the way I wanted it, so I just gave up on it. I was agreeing with you and hoping to prepare people for what is to come at the same time. I can't wait to start working on some Atari 7800 games. I hope they won't suck, but I can't promise that they won't. I can promise that I'll spend more than 2 hours on them. :D

• Like 1

Eh. I stopped caring. Let people do what they want. They're not getting *my* money.

I need to get back into 6502 and the "game" I was working on.

That was about two years ago so it would essentially be starting at square one which depresses me

I kinda wanna learn bB just for fun anyway and see if *I* can make a cool game using it since I have been pretty harsh in the past.

Kind of a "put up or shut up" challenge

But after coding C# at work all day, no motivation.

• Like 2

Eh. I stopped caring. Let people do what they want. They're not getting *my* money.

I need to get back into 6502 and the "game" I was working on.

That was about two years ago so it would essentially be starting at square one which depresses me

I kinda wanna learn bB just for fun anyway and see if *I* can make a cool game using it since I have been pretty harsh in the past.

Kind of a "put up or shut up" challenge

But after coding C# at work all day, no motivation.

Take your time. You know we got your back when it feels right.

• Like 1

Well if there's one thing around here that is inspiring it's the number of maniacs who love this little old system and will help out. Unlike places like Stack Overflow where they just try to make you feel stupid.

Maybe in the summer.

I've only been at this gig for 3 months so I have to crank now that the learning curve is over

But I tend to come alive when the weather warms up

Well, I think we've hijacked this thread enough.

Gotta pack up and wait for another storm

Endless Snow indeed

• Like 1