IGNORED

I’m thinking of taking a break

Atari2008

To the OP. For me, when I feel over inundated with things I want to do, I take a few days and narrow the focus to those things that really mean something to me. Then later when I feel I have extra energy/resources to give, I spread it out a little. Nothing depressing about it. Its reality. We dont all have time for jobs, kids, wives, atari, name your console, name your car fandom, guitars or name your instrument, television, movies, books, blogging, exercise, etc. it would be nice if we did, but we just dont. Just a matter of properly focusing your time/energy into those things that mean the most or make you the happiest, the rest is just fluff.

• Like 1

Games are supposed to be about fun. This hobby is supposed to be about fun. When it is not then you need to re-evaluate your position and goals and formulate an action plan. It's pretty much that way with everything.

Then you must do exactly what makes you happy. Some folks like to have tens of systems and hundreds of carts. Maybe thousands. You know what? That's alright as long as it doesn't distract you and burden you. If your happy then I'm happy.

I personally like the idea of one system to rule them all. Emulation fits the bill for me.

Tich'k and a wink of the eye.

Find balance in whatever you do. You have it easy because you are not in the predicament of having to get rid of dumpster-sized-amounts of gear.

Sounds like you like the Ch. F a lot. I would keep both consoles and count them as one system. One console could be pristine and the other could be source of parts for future repairs. Or one could be used for daily play. Just a thought. I did that with my Apple II stuff. I purchased a bunch of seemingly random Apple stuff and stripped several consoles down into parts, screws, springs, TTL chips, fittings, connectors, all that.

I do! I think the Channel F is an awesome machine. I got my first one back in 2008 when the Pac-Man homebrew came out, I sold it a few years later when I went through a phase and insisted I was done with gaming. The past 2 years I've repurchased a console and Pac-Man so I'm insistent on keeping the Channel F. I like the idea of a main system and a spare, that makes sense and will clear up some space which I think will help with the overwhelmed feeling.

I think I'll also take some time to just evaluate how I'd like to approach my gaming. I think people are right, I need to just take a smaller slice of the pie. Maybe building a homebrew collection for one of my systems (since I like homebrews) instead of trying to do it for all (including systems I don't even own). And i need to look at whether I want to grow the current systems I have or sell one in order to get a different one. But ultimately I want to bring the hobby back to its ultimate purpose for me and that's to enjoy and have fun with it.

• Like 1

I been out the game for quite a few Years.. About 6 years actually. I Just got back into Retro gaming towards the end of last year. That's a break! I guess I blame that on women and other hobbies like racing quads. My problem is I'm into a bit of everything and trying to balance the time and attention between everything is difficult. With it being winter time, I'm heavily into gaming and collecting now at the moment.. And probably throughout the rest of the year now, with a ton of new CollectorVision games due to release this year. ;-)

• Like 1

Back around 2010 I did a major purge of my collection - ditching systems and games that I didn't play and that were simply "shelf filler". Games and systems that look good on a shelf and are used to show off to friends, family, for pictures, or in the background of a youtube video. . . but are never actually played. I've become a huge hater of "shelf filler" and avoid it like the plague.

Once I ridded myself of collecting shelf filler I enjoyed my smaller and more focused collection a lot more. I too was getting stressed and overwhelmed by the volume I used to have. I probably have under 500 games now and just systems that I actually play and have real meaning to me. For me this is the only way to go but your milage may vary.

• Like 4

Yes I like that. I'm doing the same thing with my Apple II hardware these coming months. My intent is to end up with 2 systems, an Apple II+ and //e. This was my original 1 owner hardware I had back in the day. I figure I'll include my original peripherals with them.

My II (not plus) is going to be packed away along with the other 3800 LBS (est.) of gear I have. Out of sight, out of mind. But at the ready. Should I get blasted by nostalgia, I'll need a weapon to fight back with!

My next immediate "project" is to re-familiarize myself with the finer points of CP/M. Not forgetting its various implementations on this platform.

Maybe have a go at FORTRAN too if I feel like it.. And taking breaks, just like in the old days, by playing VCS & 400/800 games.

Edited by Keatah

For me, emulators just don't cut it anymore. When I first discovered the retro scene, I really enjoyed being able to play games/systems that I never thought I would get the chance to experience, but once I branched out to the real hardware emulation took a back seat.

I have the following systems:

Atari 2600

Atari ST

Atari Lynx

VIC-20

C64

Amiga

Sega Master System

Sega Mega Drive

Sega Game Gear

Sega Saturn

Sega Dreamcast

NES

SNES

N64

GameCube

Gameboy

GBA

DS

ZX Spectrum

PS2

PSP

Original XBox

modded original XBox for MAME and Neo Geo emulators

For each system, I either have a flash device or a collection of in and around 30 games (sometimes both depending on how compatible the device is). The only systems I feel are missing are ones that are prohibitively expensive (Jaguar, Neo Geo, Mega CD, 32X, PC Engine etc.) or ones that don't do enough for me to justify the investment and are adequately covered by emulation (7800, Colecovision, Amstrad, Atari 8-bit etc.).

All of your responses have given me ideas, I like the idea of streamlining the physical collection while using emulation to experience games I own and also those that I don't but I'm curious about. For me emulation has always been the gateway - I'll emulate something I don't have, like it, then I end up buying it on eBay. That's how I got my first Colecovision and Intellivision, both of which I ended up selling. But once I had the real hardware I didn't feel the need to emulate, but I'm willing to give it a go now. It can't hurt. Luckily my collection is small enough (I've done purges in the past) that I can make it manageable more easily. I'll keep only one Channel F out (probably the one with the red fire button as those are rare so it's fun to show off and play with as well) and the other regular Channel F I'll store in the closet. I'll also store the Odyssey 2 in the closet as that system just doesn't cut it for me. It was another one I emulated, thought this is cool, bought it and the novelty wore off quickly. So I'll just keep one Channel F and the Atari 2600 out. That should help, and I'll try to get an emulator collection going for those systems I don't have to scratch that itch.

I been out the game for quite a few Years.. About 6 years actually. I Just got back into Retro gaming towards the end of last year. That's a break! I guess I blame that on women and other hobbies like racing quads. My problem is I'm into a bit of everything and trying to balance the time and attention between everything is difficult. With it being winter time, I'm heavily into gaming and collecting now at the moment.. And probably throughout the rest of the year now, with a ton of new CollectorVision games due to release this year. ;-)

Enjoy! I periodically keep tabs on the Colecovision homebrews - they always look amazing! Don't know why I didn't partake when I had a CV.

I always get a bit perplexed at threads like this. For me, hobbies are about fun and enjoyment. The second they no longer provide that, it's on to something else. No inner reflection required; it's really that simple.

My advice: stop being a collector of games you can't afford and start being a player of games you enjoy.

• Like 3

I found that nothing is set in stone, there are no rules! Only suggestions and guidelines and examples. And what you do tomorrow can be different from what you do today. There are still systems and software I'm adding to my emulation collection. Been at it since the 1990's.

Everyone here knows I'm a big proponent of emulation, if they don't now they do. I always consider an emulator update as a virtual form of Preventative Maintenance. Each update is like taking my console into the shop for a little fix-it-up and check-it-out deal.

I'm actually getting excited about taking emulation more seriously. I got a USB gamepad from Best Buy to test it out, see how I like emulation with a pad. If I find it enjoyable, I'll look into an adapter so I can play with a PS2 pad. I think emulation will go a long way in scratching that itch I have about other consoles.

If you're buying just to buy, that's when you can feel burnt out I've found. This really only happened to me when I got into Neo Geo MVS collecting, I was buying a ton of games, but only enjoying a small percentage of those.

I collect a handful of systems aiming for complete collections, other systems like Sega CD I will concentrate on just the quality titles and buy those when they pop up. I recently completed my Lynx retail collection, but there are some box variants and cart variants to keep me still interested in the collecting aspect of that system. At the end of the day, this stuff is just a hobby, if it's becoming a burden it's a good idea to take a step back IMO.

Most people get burnt out on collecting or hobbies. I have taken many breaks from collecting/playing games over the years. For me personally, I have a few different hobbies, and when one gets dull or I start to lose interest I just move on to the next one, and cycle through. Most of us have huge backlogs of games that keep us busy when we feel we are spending too much time looking and buying. Just do what makes you happy at the time. I would however suggest give it time before you just dump too much collection and focus on one thing. I think I speak for most people on here that we all have got rid of stuff we wished later down the road we did not.

For me there was a step .5: have a baby.

All the rest sounds about right.

Seriously guys - I'm reading too many posts about depression and videogame collections.

This needs to be fixed and here's how you do it.

The summary version:

Emulation is the answer! And here's how you transition into it.

1-

Pick 1 or 2 systems and keep these in the physical realm. Over time, no haste, collect bits and pieces with the full understanding you may never acquire a complete collection. This is your favorite system. The system you first had as a kid maybe. Or one you play most often.

So I'm trying MESS and I'm encountering an issue. When I try the latest version of MESS version .152 and I use MESSUI as the front end but all I get is a black screen. When I randomly pick a much older version out of a hat like version .140 (from 2010), it works flawlessly. Is my laptop too old for MESS or am I doing something wrong? Anyway I can see if I a newer version will work without trying all of them?