IGNORED

BASIC Ten-Liners - Contest 2014

Bunsen

Yes it would be neat to have them as type ins; perhaps abbuc or the new pro© mag could do a special edition? I'd be in for a tape too (my XC12 loaded JetBootJack about a year ago so I'm hopeful it would run!)

What?! Gwobby last again!!! He'll be back one day to sort you guys out :P

post-19705-0-36846300-1398897482_thumb.png

I was pretty pleased to squeeze in a decent game in the 10 lines, the controls are much simpler than Gwobby's Adventure just hold up down or right, draw a line to just under the exit. Yes Gwobby has returned to his roots "I remember when Gwobby was just a Q"... well here he is naked to the core :-o

For more of the same but with amazing graphics and extra features Checkout Gwobby Jr and Gwobby's Adventure on http://gwobby.webs.com/ :-D

Here is the listing for Gwobby Micro:

post-19705-0-70950900-1398897140_thumb.png

post-19705-0-96699200-1398897144_thumb.png

I did make a few notes on the screen below but as you can see I mainly used Atari BASIC and heavily relied on formulae to avoid using IFs. Checkout what I did on line 6:

Z=9*((U<>32)*(J<19))+8*(W=163):IF Z THEN GOTO Z

This allowed me to jump to three different lines in a short amount of space 8)

I bet I win the prize for most convoluted code eh?!

post-19705-0-24137800-1398897149_thumb.png

Thanks for running this contest Bunsen and producing the great ATR with the games on it too, I look forward to playing them all. Thanks to everyone for showing such great support. I hope a few of you enjoyed getting started with BASIC and will continue to program for our Atari :)

• Like 4

Good evening Island2Live,

Is possible for you to add 1 more or 3 lines for wait for the user to press the space bar to begin playing Flappy Bird ?

Yes, I know it is over for the competition , April 3rd week (something like that).

And is possible for you to add the title there before begin to play ?

Hi Caterpiggle,

I am thinking about coding the gammy again in CC65 for phun, but at the moment I have other, more burning obligation.

Anyways, as soon as i have a couple of evenings, I will do it, gladly with suggested improvements.

Fun fact: this is my one and only game that uses floating point arithmetics. No probs with converting it to fixed point though.

Best,

pirx

Caterpiggle, why do you think island2live is the author of flappy? In this thread you can find all information if you read attentively.

Tape release:

I think this would be very cool. But there are 2 obstacles: 1. One has to load per disk Turbo Basic XL and then per tape the games. 2. Professionell producing tapes is costly, we would need at least 50 buyers for appr. 10 EUR per tape. I doubt there is so much interest. Then the tape would become a commercial product, therefor we would need consent of all authors of the programs.

Type in:

Yes, I prepared a document with information/description about the game, information about the author and the listing for typing in. But again: I think I am not allowed to sell a book with listings without the consent of the authors.

This document is written in german. I could translate it but it would be strange english (as you can see on my posts :-)).

Prizes

Prizes were given to 1NG, Sleepy and me at NOMAM.

Today I've sent prizes to the following participants:

Xuel (big package ;-)), pirx (big package ;-)),

billkendrick (big package ;-)), Reaperman, Rybags, mgr inz Rafal, devwebcl, Irgendwer, Cliff Hatch.

I hope floppy disks and tapes will arrive safely at the other end of the world (Hamburg - Santiago de Chile 12,000 km, Hamburg - South Australia 15,000 km). I've sent some ABBUC stuff and some german software stuff, which is common in Germany, but probably very rare in Chile, Australia or USA. So the value of the prize might increase with every km ;-)

• Like 8

Prizes

Prizes were given to 1NG, Sleepy and me at NOMAM.

Today I've sent prizes to the following participants:

Xuel (big package ;-)), pirx (big package ;-)),

billkendrick (big package ;-)), Reaperman, Rybags, mgr inz Rafal, devwebcl, Irgendwer, Cliff Hatch.

I hope floppy disks and tapes will arrive safely at the other end of the world (Hamburg - Santiago de Chile 12,000 km, Hamburg - South Australia 15,000 km). I've sent some ABBUC stuff and some german software stuff, which is common in Germany, but probably very rare in Chile, Australia or USA. So the value of the prize might increase with every km ;-)

Thanks a lot !

It is cool to get a prize without being #1.

Please feel free to use my game for any tape compilation, printing, etc.

• Like 1

Caterpiggle, why do you think island2live is the author of flappy? In this thread you can find all information if you read attentively.

Tape release:

I think this would be very cool. But there are 2 obstacles: 1. One has to load per disk Turbo Basic XL and then per tape the games. 2. Professionell producing tapes is costly, we would need at least 50 buyers for appr. 10 EUR per tape. I doubt there is so much interest. Then the tape would become a commercial product, therefor we would need consent of all authors of the programs.

Type in:

Yes, I prepared a document with information/description about the game, information about the author and the listing for typing in. But again: I think I am not allowed to sell a book with listings without the consent of the authors.

This document is written in german. I could translate it but it would be strange english (as you can see on my posts :-)).

Errm well,

it is not fully true that TB XL must be loaded from disk and island2live would agree with this, since it was him who coded and released a program named "TURLOAD.BIN" in the Atari XL/XE Sondermagazin 2 of Happy Computer. The small tool is a special loader to load TB XL from tape and afaik, it will also enable one to load TB XL programs from tape then.Thus,

1) boot/load TURLOAD.BIN (actually a tape-bootfile) from tape,

2) which will then load TB XL from tape

3) then load one of the 40 game programs from tape

Of course loading the turbo-loader (7 blocks) takes a few seconds, loading TB XL from standard 600 baud tape takes approx. 15 minutes and loading one of the game programs will also take a minute or so. There is of course a turbo-tape version of TB XL (Turbo-Basic 2.0 or Turbo-Basic 2.1), think it was created for Turbo 2000 or Turbo 3000 which I do not own and have never used.

But if you want to create a standard 600 baud tape version, do it like this: Copy the Turload.BIN file from disk to tape (use one of the attached C/D copy-programs), copy TB XL from disk to tape, copy one or more TB XL game(s) to tape. When done, boot the tape with Start+Option and load the Turload.BIN program, it should load TB XL automat. and when done one can load a TB XL program from tape.

(I am not sure if loading the TB XL program from tape also happens automat. or if the READY prompt appears and one has to type CLOAD then to do it. But one could try to alter the TB XL file with a disk/sector editor so that instead of D:Autorun.BAS it will say C: Since I never did this, you have to try out yourself...)

tur_load.zip

cd_copy.zip

Laaaaame!!! Magazine print-out is the way to distribute :]

LOL! Please DON'T treat this serious ... my poor fingers! :)

Thx for sharing atr, Bunsen. reat compo ;)

Yes, me too: Thank you so much for putting this all together into a floppy image! :)

Errm well,

it is not fully true that TB XL must be loaded from disk and island2live would agree with this, since it was him who coded and released a program named "TURLOAD.BIN" in the Atari XL/XE Sondermagazin 2 of Happy Computer. The small tool is a special loader to load TB XL from tape and afaik, it will also enable one to load TB XL programs from tape then.Thus,

1) boot/load TURLOAD.BIN (actually a tape-bootfile) from tape,

2) which will then load TB XL from tape

3) then load one of the 40 game programs from tape

To be honest I am VERY - and I mean VERY - astound I really programmed this when I was editor at the magazine »Happy Computer«. It is completely deleted from my brain ... I don't have the slightest glimpse I programmed this little piece. I usually don't suffer from amnesia ... but in this case ... well ... :?

Kind regards,

Henrik (Island2Live)

To be honest I am VERY - and I mean VERY - astound I really programmed this when I was editor at the magazine »Happy Computer«. It is completely deleted from my brain ... I don't have the slightest glimpse I programmed this little piece. I usually don't suffer from amnesia ... but in this case ... well ... :?

Kind regards,
Henrik (Island2Live)

Well,

here you go...

post-3782-0-03945400-1398980535_thumb.jpg

post-3782-0-82649600-1398980553_thumb.jpg

Besides, allthough Turload.BIN is a tape-boot file, the gamedos on the disk above is able to load it (because it is single-stage). So you can download the ATR and take a look at it...

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Thanks for my prize Bunsen. It arrived yesterday. :)

Several people have said that writing the Ten Liners was the most fun they've had programming their Ataris for years, and I feel the same. Ten lines of Turbo Basic allows for a lot of creativity without taking up too much time. I'm amazed at the quality of animation and graphics produced by many of the contestants, also by the ingenious methods used to extend lines of code beyond their normal length.

A final word on Nimx (this is not entirely Atari related, but I think it's a nice illustration of how good the Internet archives have become):

When I was researching the game I came across Faster Than Thought in archive.org, published in 1953 :-o . The quote about Nimrod being so popular at the Berlin Trade Fair that the visitors ignored the free bar appears in chapter 25 (page 287). This is generally attributed to Alan Turing and he was indeed one of the authors of this chapter, so that seems to tally. I think the book is a fascinating historical document. It describes machines that were 30 years old when the Atari 8-bits were new. Now the 8-bits are 30 years old, but it strikes me that they have aged rather well despite the accelerating pace of development. They contain most of the components of modern computers: keyboard, graphical display, integrated circuits, disc drives etc.

I was surprised to find that I could follow the history right back to the US Patent for the Nimatron filed in 1940 :-o :-o , and even Bouton's original solution of the game published in 1901 :-o :-o :-o .

Best Regards

Cliff

Edited by cliffh
  • Like 4

That's funny . Rafal is only 400 km away and rybags 14,000 km. And post needed the same time.

I know, prizes are mainly in german language, but perhaps you find it useful or interesting (for example to look at Abbuc paper mag).

The disks I've sent are originals (they look like copies). That was the way how publishers produced software for atari 8 bit in Germany in the 90s.

Edited by Bunsen