IGNORED

BASIC Ten-Liners - Contest 2014

Bunsen

Well,

afaik Altirra Basic is 100% compatible with Atari Basic (also includes 18 new statements/commands right now and is faster), so one could use it instead of Atari Basic. Altirra Basic includes some additional Basic commands that are otherwise only available in Basic XE or TB XL.

BUT: Altirra Basic does not contain all commands from Basic XE or TB XL (just some of them) - so, as said before, use it to replace Atari Basic...

There are two variants of Altirra Basic: a) the 8k BIN/ROM file version, one can use/burn it on an Eprom or flash cart, b) the XEX file version which can be binary loaded from DOS (just like TB XL).

So in the end, the next tenliners contest could allow four Basic languages: a) Atari Basic (okay with Altirra Basic it would be redundant, but anyways), b) Altirra Basic, c) Basic XL (one can use the free runtime! see above) and d) TB XL. I would not care for other Basic languages (like Advan Basic, MS Basic, Hypra soft Basic, Fast Basic, Basic XE, etc.) since they are too uncommon. But this is only a suggestion from me...

• 2 months later...

Re.: Altirra Basic - it is really supported? I am trying to get a manual or a list of commands, but to no avail. The link to pigwa ftp seems to be dead and http://atariwiki.strotmann.de/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Altirra%20Basic contains ROMs only.

Additionally I have noticed that the editor is not really predictable - sometimes entered lines are not recorded, entering a line number sometimes deletes the line, sometimes lists an entire program and sometimes does other things. Example attached. For some reason lines 20 and 30 disappeared although this was not intended :)

So, Altirra Basic is possibly perfect as an Atari Basic replacement for running Atari Basic programs, but not really good for a new development at the moment.

Best,

pirx

post-8436-0-30941200-1421583212_thumb.png

Edited by pirx

You should post the bugs you find with Altirra Basic in Phareon's thread. He's usually very quick to fix anything people find wrong with Altirra or Altirra Basic. Just make sure you've downloaded the latest versions of them from the following thread and if the bugs are still present post a message there.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/228110-altirra-250-final-out/

Bob

So, Altirra Basic is possibly perfect as an Atari Basic replacement for running Atari Basic programs, but not really good for a new development at the moment.

Best,

pirx

Edited by bfollett

Oh, inded, the 2.60-test33 version has the buggies I have noticed fixed beautifully!

I think in the compo I would stick to TBXL as it's IF...THEN...ELSE...ENDIF, DO...LOOP make it easier to squeeze more into a single line.

Also it is possible to compile the program later and get a substantial speed boost.

Best,

pirx

I can't tell from the wording of your post if the bugs are or are not in 2.60-test 33. If they are, did you report them?

Bob

Oh, inded, the 2.60-test33 version has the buggies I have noticed fixed beautifully!

I think in the compo I would stick to TBXL as it's IF...THEN...ELSE...ENDIF, DO...LOOP make it easier to squeeze more into a single line.

Also it is possible to compile the program later and get a substantial speed boost.

Best,

pirx

Re-reading your post I think you are saying the bugs are gone now so that's good. As to the missing IF Then Else etc. I know he was keeping the size of Altirra Basic under 8kb, and he did add a few new commands but there's no room to add any others unfortunately. Also he says it is possible to compile Altirra basic with one of the available Basic compilers, but I don't think you'll reach the speed of Turbo basic compiled.

Bob

Oh yes, bugs I have noticed are gone for good [:

I do understand Altirra Basic is first of all a replacement of the dubious legal status Atari Basic ROM and is more than perfect in this! As always, kudos to Avery.

Compilation is indeed possible, but only when the program is fully Atari Basic compatible.

Best,

pirx

• 2 weeks later...

I was just playing the disk from last year, and I am wondering: How come my "catch" game has multicolored lines? When I uploaded it, the whole screen was pink. I hope that won't happen again this year with my 2015 entry.

the left picture is original and the right picture is how it appears on the mutli-game disk.

post-9475-0-16357400-1422482829_thumb.png

post-9475-0-11377200-1422482835_thumb.png

That happened to my game Nimx too, and I guess to all the games that use the default graphics mode, but it was corrected in the final release - so all is well.

The final release (NOMAM14_final2.atr) is here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221948-basic-ten-liners-contest-2014/?p=2981394

Edited by cliffh

• 3 weeks later...