IGNORED

Video Game collecting is there an app for that?

Dripfree

I usually have a pretty good memory about my collection. it's only happened a couple of times but I have bought a couple games only to get home to find out I already had it. So I took a few pics of my collection on my phone so I could look at the pics when I'm out to determine what I already have. I then decided it would be a good idea to actually inventory my collection. I checked the app store to see if there was any good inventory apps. None of them seemed quite right for my purposes. I was curious if anyone else had looked into this and found a good solution? The perfect app would be able to break your inventory down into sub categories. When you get down to the specific Item you could list different characteristics of the item, like weather of not I have the manual, or case, ext. This type of software seems like a no brainer to my and I was kinda surprised I couldn't find anything like that. Was I just missing it?

I built a database and some code to output it in HTML pages that I then pushed to a freebie website. Not really collecting now so haven't messed with it for a while. An app would be better. :-)

At a quick glance into the Android world, the play store has at least a couple: "NES Hunter", "Video Game Tracker" so I'd say there's a good chance that you'll find one.

Edited by BigO

A spreadsheet, same as last time. It'll store/sort/group whatever information you bother to input.

There's at least one on every platform... big ones are MS Excel, LibreCalc, and Google Docs/Drive. Google's web-based app is useful if you want to be able to pull up your collection on your phone.

Edited by Rex Dart

Hm... Was thinking about coding something like this and dropping it on the new Atari Times... Would be able to access it from your phone too. Any thoughts?

I'd love to see that. Would it be Atari-only (pulling from some known games list), or would it be expandable to include other systems?

I would love to see an app like that. I don't even think it would have to be gaming specific. Just software that let's you define your own catagories and sub catatagories. Lots of people collect different things you could sell this app to Gi Joe and hot wheels guys to. You might be able to actually make some decent money with a good app like this. That's kinda why I thought it would already exist.

A spreadsheet, same as last time. It'll store/sort/group whatever information you bother to input.

There's at least one on every platform... big ones are MS Excel, LibreCalc, and Google Docs/Drive. Google's web-based app is useful if you want to be able to pull up your collection on your phone.

Me too.

I don't understand why everybody asks for a specifically coded ap for their collection (of anything) when a spreadsheet is an excellent general-purpose tool that can be configured to look the same, is very easy to create and use, and is available on any device and in the cloud... besides the fact that you can tweak it in the future any time you want, as needed.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, easy to import/export, free or already right there on your desktop, and if you really want some super duper fancy complicated function, you can write a macro...