IGNORED

Yurkie's N64 & NES RGB mods *NESRGB in Stock US Distributor*

Yurkie

NEW offering. 7/01/18 Excellent condition Front Loader with NESRGB Gamecube multiout on the back of console that outputs Composite, S-Video $279 shipped anywhere in the USA. Pics on post #296 of thread.

If you want to buy a front loader NES or a RGB modded N64 you can PM and check availability. These are consoles only. All hardware I sell is in excellent condition. These sell fast, especially the N64.

NESRGB boards are in Stock. If you are an NES fan, and not even really interested in RGB you might still want to purchase a board so that you have s-video.

This is a direct link to the items available for purchase from Tim and shipped by me.

http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=207

Posted screenshots are modded consoles connected to an 32" Vizio LCD TV with the Framemeister (scanlines on)

NES RGB MOD:

If you check out the link above you will see that there is now an NESRGB board for the NES. It is made by Tim in Australia.

This mod is more for the skilled DIY person, removing the 40 pin PPU can be pretty tedious. Please follow Tim's instructions carefully.

Tim has instructions on his website for using an 8 pin mini-din for the RGB and another 4 pin mini-din for s-video with a separate 3.5mm stereo jack for the audio and 3 position toggle switch.

See Pic below for my method for installing the NESRGB mod

I will only install the NESRGB mod using a donor multi-out jack from a N64, SNES or Gamecube console. I also install the 3 position toggle switch for pallete selection discretely on the bottom.

NESRGB mod is $189 installed (parts included) + return shipping. If you want to include a non-working N64, SNES or Gamecube with good condition multi-out jack that I can use as donor for your NES mod, you can take $20 off the total.

A/V famicom is $149 installed (parts included) + return shipping. (add power switch LED $10)

Top Loader is $199 with 3D printed multiout + return shipping (add power switch LED $10)

Multi-out jack outputs composite, S-Video and RGB

All NES consoles that I mod or sell include replacing the 7805 (1 amp)voltage regulator with the L7805CV (1.5 amp) voltage regulator and a replacement 2200 micro farad electrolytic capacitor, 72 pin connector is refurbished. ( I have found that a refurbished original connecter is better that the replacement.

I offer mod services for Front Loader, Top Loader (with 3d printed multiout) and AV Famicom.

N64 RGB mod:

Price for the N64 mod will be only $35 + return shipping.(I'll install a blue LED at no additional cost) The RGB mod is sold on Ebay for $25 and it still takes delicate solder work to connect the input lines to either the back side of the board or the VDC chip pins on the top side of the board. I have experimented and I am not a fan of connecting the mod to the top of the board with long leads and running the output wires under the board to connect to the multi-out port...I have noticed that there can be some interference. I connect the mod to the underside of the board with extremely short leads and replace the shielding for the best possible results.

You need to check the serial # on the bottom of your N64 console and make sure it starts with NS1. Only early consoles can be easily modded, if your serial # starts with NS2 you have a later model console and this mod will not work.

RGB is addictive! A Framemeister, some cables, your LCD (LED), and your classic consoles and living the classic gaming dream. Or if your a big CRT fan your RGB monitor, cables and consoles.

I highly recommed this fantastic site for information about RGB and classic game consoles.

http://retrorgb.com/

Regardless if you choose to have me preform these mods for you or you do it yourself I strongly encourage anyone interested in the best possible video quality to pursue this.

I have got a number of questions about cables. It can get confusing. Please read this over carefully.

Cables:

It is important to note that the SHVC-010 uses composite video for sync....NOT composite sync/csync.

The N64 uses composite video for sync. The NESRGB modded A/V Famicom and NESRGB modded NES are wired to use either composite video OR composite sync/csync for sync. Make sure you buy the correct cable and that the cable is compatible with the scaler you are using.

Ideally if your in the USA, your using an NTSC console, the framemeister and an NTSC monitor or TV.
Your set up would be like this.

NTSC Nintendo Console : NESRGB modded a/v Famicom, NESRGB modded NES (with multi-out jack), N64 (RGB amp mod), or stock SNES > SHVC-010 Japanese 21 RGB cable > JP-21 to 8 pin mini-din adapter > framemeister > TV (monitor) This is the method I use and it works!

There are SHVC-010 equivalent third party cable available. For a fraction of the cost of the original. If you go with a third party cable, make sure you buy it wired correctly.

Getting the proper cable(s) can be confusing. I only modify and sell NTSC NES and N64 consoles and they use the same cable. The unmodified NTSC SNES also uses the same cable as the modified NES and N64.

post-23318-0-87716400-1392245128_thumb.jpg

post-23318-0-75798400-1392245494_thumb.jpg

post-23318-0-69276100-1393341605_thumb.jpg

post-23318-0-37032800-1393341728_thumb.jpg

post-23318-0-89142700-1393341779_thumb.jpg

post-23318-0-56335700-1397493695_thumb.jpg

post-23318-0-83984000-1397493718_thumb.jpg

post-23318-0-31631700-1455915120_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yurkie
  • Like 2

Yeah, RGB is the way to go on N64. Had one done last year, you're price is very affordable. Shame the NES board is so expensive though. He ("viletim") does great work, I have a USA SMS modded with his FM board/switch. I'm on the fence on NES RGB though, because I have it go through my DVDO VP50, which upscales to HDMI composite feeds pretty well. I think the XRGB Mini does a great job as well. Same thing with my TG-16.

I RGB-modded a NES a few years back. I liked it alright, except that some of the colors were off (and there's something wrong with the NES I used). The fact that it is now possible to have an RGB-modded system with the correct color palette is awesome. I am just awful at de-soldering chips (I don't have a desoldering gun) so the fact that I have to carefully extract the PPU for re-use makes it kind of a bummer.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be sending Yurkie my N64 and NES soon for RGB treatment. I had written off getting RGB from those 2 consoles because they require modification, something I'm typically against. But since Yurkie is doing it, I know it will be done with care. And honestly, I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl with excitement. Seeing games via RGB through my Framemeister on my 50" plasma is my greatest joy nowadays. I sometimes find myself staring and admiring the art and animation of a game while playing, almost as if I'd never truly seen the game before. RGB is totally the way to go. If you've looked into a Framemeister or RGB at all, you'll see everyone saying the same thing. And it's TRUE! It's beautiful.

I like to impress my friends by showing them what a game looks like via composite (that everyone knows), then via RGB. It always gets a response. I haven't yet compared S-video to RGB, but I know my N64 (currently using S-video) will be breathtaking via RGB.

I checked the site for the NESRGB mod and he is out of stock. I'm even more eager to finally see my NES games via RGB. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled, and in the meantime, send Yurkie your N64! I'll update here once I've gotten mine back.

It really is amazing the difference in image quality, RGB via the framemeister on an LCD TV looks WAY better than it ever looked on a CRT. The picture is so much better that I am betting many CRT fans would dump them if they saw the difference in person...RGB and the Framemeister may sound like hype...but believe me it is the real deal!

It really is amazing the difference in image quality, RGB via the framemeister on an LCD TV looks WAY better than it ever looked on a CRT. The picture is so much better that I am betting many CRT fans would dump them if they saw the difference in person...RGB and the Framemeister may sound like hype...but believe me it is the real deal!

I'm kind of torn between wanting to get a nice Sony PVM which I've been told is the absolute best CRT you're going to find for RGB and plunking down the cash for a XRGB Mini (my LCD TV only does up to 720p). I really wish someone would do a comparison between the two.

• Like 2

I look at it this way Tempest: A Sony PVM may be a wonderful monitor (I don't know from experience) but eventually, it's gonna break or have some issues with picture quality. A Framemeister, if treated nicely, should last many, many years and chances are for the rest of your life, you're going to have a TV with an HDMI in and at least 720p resolution.

In fact, 720p is all you really need for the FM. If you prefer scanlines, they actually work better in 720p over 1080p (last time I checked, I haven't updated my firmware in a long while).

Pull the trigger. You won't regret it.

Anyone see this? http://retroactive.be/tech_n64_hdmi.php

I'd still want the RGB mod, but HDMI support is interesting. I wonder if you can add HDMI to other consoles?

That's marshall, the 64drive guy. I've noticed more tinkering in that area, getting HDMI. Dreamcast for one. I suppose that's a future, but to me, that's even more modding where often it's not necessary. The N64 RGB is like I said, a must on an HDTV.

Edited by Greg2600

That's marshall, the 64drive guy. I've noticed more tinkering in that area, getting HDMI. Dreamcast for one. I suppose that's a future, but to me, that's even more modding where often it's not necessary. The N64 RGB is like I said, a must on an HDTV.

Dreamcast HDMI? Now that would be nice.