IGNORED

Systems you still own from the original release

madman

I did a quick search on this and couldn't find anything, so I thought it might be a fun topic. What systems do you own that were bought back in "the day" when they were originally available?

My list in chronological order (minus portables) with some memories:

Intellivision - My parents bought this when I was knee high to a grasshopper, I didn't fully understand what it was at the time and hated the Poker&Blackjack dealer for sticking his tongue out at me. As I grew older, I came to love Astrosmash, Burger Time and Utopia.

NES - Every 80's kid had one, I still have mine with the original 72 pin connector. I was a NES Advantage man, my neighbor was a NES Max guy. We never agreed on that.

SNES - I still remember playing SMW for the first time and thinking "games will never look better than this!"

Original PSX - Got this in college, still can't believe I dropped $300 with no pack-in, but we played tons of Battle Arena Toshinden in my dorm.

N64 - I bought this later in its release, I have a pretty good collection for it now and think it's an underrated system.

32X - I think this was after the N64, I had picked up a second hand Genesis from a buddy and TRU was closing out the 32X systems for $19.99 and games were under $10. I spent countless hours playing Virtua Racing on it.

Dreamcast - Bought this, then returned it and re-bought it later. Still haven't played it much despite having a decent collection.

PS2 (fat) - Picked this up for the Ridge Racer game, don't have many other memories of the system other than GTA.

Gamecube - Originally got one used from a friend with a bunch of games, realized how great some of the games were and bought a new Mario Kart bundle and sold the used stuff. Still have fun with the system.

Wii - Got caught up in the hype of the system's release and got one, ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

PS3 Slim - Played a few games on it, have a ton of sealed games, got sick of putting a game in and having to wait for 900mb of updates to download. I think this system made me dislike modern gaming.

Wii U - Enjoying this way more than I thought I would.

My first machine was Vectrex, and I bought (almost) all the games as they came out.

Next was Colecovision, and new games for a couple of years.

Spent many years buying only used stuff at flea markets for several years, including about 10 NES machines and games. None of those had the power adapter, and I tried using DC power packs of various types but could never figure out what I was doing wrong. Finally got so frustrated that I went to Toys R Us and bought a brand new NES (happened to be the top loader was available at the time).

That's when I realized the problem wasn't the power pack, but was the flakey slot.

About the same time, I also got a Nomad and Sonic 1,2,3 and zoned out for several months. I remember playing Spinball on my Nomad in the waiting room of the hospital where my dad spent his last few weeks.

Since then, everythings been pretty much time-warped by at least a couple of years (except for a few hand-helds)

Original game systems I still own from my childhood days:

- Atari 7800

- SNES

- Turbografx-16CD

The other retro systems I own, I either replaced or bought over the years. The C-64 and the original front-loading NES from the 1980s are long gone. But the NES has long since been replaced with a top-loader model, and the C-64 has been "replaced" with the C-64 plug-n-play TV unit. And the other retro systems I own, I did not grow up with, but have collected over the last few years.

Below is a chronological list of systems/computers that I still own that were purchased "back in the day" when they were "current".

• AFP TV Fun (Pong clone)
  • TRS-80 PC1 Pocket Computer
  • Intellivision (original version) Purchased by my parents. Still have the unit and most of the games - plus lots more that I have accumulated since. Sadly, the Intellivision stopped working when it was a few years old. I replaced it with an INTV III but kept the original for parts.
  • Commodore 64
  • Amiga 1000
  • TRS-80 PC6 Pocket Computer
  • GameBoy (1st version) Purchased the second day it was available in Canada.
  • Atari Lynx
  • TG 16
  • Sega Genesis
  • Famiclone (Micro Genius IQ 501) Purchased when the NES was still somewhat current. This is a true Famiclone, not a NOAC.
  • PS1 Purchased in it's day for my son...he's since moved on to newer stuff.
  • XBox (original) Received as a promotion when working for a Microsoft Partner.
  • PS3
  • DS Lite
  • PSP Go

I have lots of other systems / computers that have been purchased on the secondary market. Commodore PET, Commodore VIC-20, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Colecovision and ADAM, SNES, N64, pong clones. I also have a bunch of handhelds many of which were purchased "back in the day".

While all of my old toys were chucked to goodwill (dammit!) i never lost track of any video games. I still have every video game cart/disk/console/whatever going back to the 2600 era. I don't have my original 2600 as it died and got tossed but i've still got everything else from the 7800 and C=64 up to the Playstation 4.

I know lots of people trade in games, sell them off.. whatever.. but i just held on to them.

I started being careful about keeping boxes and manuals around '89 or so which was a good move.

NES

Genesis

Nintendo 64

All were bought new and I still own and use to this day. :-D

I purposely buy stuff second hand, down the road to save money and usually find large lots and good deals on older stuff local if possible. Thats how I obtained most of my collection of SNES, 2600, Intv, xbox, xbox360 things.

Wish i still had my first original ColecoVision that my mother gave away in the early 90's when we moved and she paid a guy with it for helping us.. its long gone.. :mad: . I was pissed and ended up getting one on ebay a few years latter once ebay first came online, I still have it CIB today. :)

Also wish I would have kept my Dreamcast! Damnit I had a lot of good systems I let go over the years but you just can't have it all! (at least in my case)

I've never made an effort to ensure I hold onto that system that proves I owned an original, but I'm pretty sure of these...

Atari 7800 - I wanted a 7800 so badly I actually talked my mother out of buying an NES. To this day I don't regret that decision. I know I still have my original box, but I'm not sure if the console I now use is the original or one I picked up later.

Sega Dreamcast - This was a day-one purchase for me, back when you could still do that without standing in mile-long lines or waiting six months on a pre-order. Once again, I know I have my original box, and I'm pretty sure I have the console to go with it.

Sony PlayStation 2 - The box is on my shelf, and the console is currently on loan to a friend and her family. Even after they got a PS3 they discovered a love for PS2 games after playing with one at a vacation lodge.

Microsoft XBox 360, Nintendo Wii - Bought them new, still have them.

Two I definitely don't have the originals of anymore are the Atari 2600, which eventually died and got chucked, and the Sega Genesis, which was a Model 2 I later bundled up and sold. All my other consoles I bought or acquired used well after the fact.

Intellivision 2 (which we bought when our original Intellivision died - I still have all our carts)

Atari 7800

NES

PS1

PS2

Dreamcast (my launch DC died, but I still have it)

Xbox 360 (dead, but I still have it)

Wii (power supply actually died last week, but I bought a cheap replacement)

I still have my family's original Commodore 64 and 1541, along with a box of discs.

I'm not sure if I still have my 2600 or not. At some point I had 4-5 of them, but slowly gave them all away. I *think* kept my original, but at some point it died and I'm not sure if I still have it. I use the 7800 most of the time, and I have a 2600jr. I do have all the carts I had back in the day.

I sold-but-reacquired a Master System, Genesis and Apple ][c.

Interesting mix of consoles here.

To add to the list, my portables:

Original gameboy - Can't remember when I got this, still have the original box and everything.

Game Gear - I can't remember when I got this either, I think it was during my teen years when I was working, got it before the Majesco one came out. Never got into the system much, but remember playing the Battle Toads game a lot.

Atari Lynx - I wanted this system badly as a kid, finally got one at Venture (I think) when they were being sold for $99 with the 4 pack-in games. I still remember how excited I was to own one. I now have a complete CIB collection.

GBC - Got this during college, did my first z80 programming on it.

Japanese import original GBA - Imported this with F-Zero and SMB2. This was in '01 I think, got this before it was available in the States.

GBA SP - It was nice to be able to SEE the screen on GBA games.

DS Lite

3DS XL

ColecoVision

TRS-80 Color Computer 2

Amiga 500

Amiga 4000

I really REALLY wanted an Atari 8-bit, but it was too expensive at the time (hence the CoCo 2). Just thinking of all the nifty colors and sounds I could have played with. Snif.

Oh well, I now have a rockin' Atari 800XL which has been seeing a lot of use as of late.

Nokia N-Gage QD. Yeah.. of all the systems that survived, it was that. There was a time I had to sell off everything (partially not by choice), but since the N-Gage was my phone I naturally kept it. Still have it with the original box and what-not, although the phone itself has seen better days (a couple of keys no longer function).

I did a quick search on this and couldn't find anything, so I thought it might be a fun topic. What systems do you own that were bought back in "the day" when they were originally available?

A question with multiple possible answers :-D

Systems I got used, but when they were still sold new in stores :

- NES

- SNES

- Playstation

- Playstation 3

- Xbox360

- Nintendo DS

System I got new (and early ;) )

- Playstation 2 : twas my B-DAy AND Christmas gift back in 2001, with Silent Hill 2 :thumbsup: I swear I bought the PS2 ONLY with the idea to play SH2 and nothing else. But I have now a large PS2 library ^^ and still my original PS2 in original box as well.

What systems DON'T I own from their original release is the better question since I throw away nothing. :P

I bought my 7800 "used" about 6 years ago or so. I retro-bought a Vectrex off ebay as well. That's about it off the top of my head man, aside from some small electronic games. Everything else console-wise that I do own like the VCS, 5200, NES/SMS/snes/tg16/genny were all mine only since they were bought new in stores.

And no I'm not saying I own everything. I don't have an Intellivision and never have. Never owned a Neo-Geo. etc. So if I didn't own it back in their day I tend not to be interested in it when it becomes retro.