IGNORED

Top 5 2600 Homebrews Available in the Atari Age Store Right Now

Rick Dangerous

I have some money to burn, and I need to know. What's the best of the best that you can get right now for 2600 homebrew in the Atari age shop?

Big thanks!

Things I have heard are good:

Halo 2600

Hunchy 2

Blinky Goes Up

Thrust SE

What am I missing out on? Bargain's never hurt either. I'd rather get two games for $60 than one for $50

• Like 1

So that's why nobody is buying this game:

atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1028

:D

Don't get me wrong that game looks awesome!! It also had a high quality box and instructions and all that. I'm just looking for best bang for my buck right now and there are lots of games for $25-$30 on the shop right now... I will admit I paid $50 for Halo 2600 because...how cool is that?

You will not find a better 2600 Asteroids than Space Rocks.

You will not find a better 2600 Pac-Man squashed into four kilobytes than Pac-Man 4K, though arguably there are better 2600 versions of Pac-Man that take up more room.

You will not find a better 2600 Tetris than Chetiry.

You will not find a better 2600 Warlords than Medieval Mayhem.

Lady Bug is an excellent conversion of the old arcade game, and in all likelihood better than what Coleco would have released had they kept their promise.

Qb is a cute little puzzle game, written by Andrew Davie, one of the guys who later brought Boulder Dash to the 2600.

Jammed is another puzzle game, nice if a bit low on frills. Jammed was created by Thomas Jentzsch, the other guy who brought Boulder Dash to the 2600.

Strictly speaking, IXION and Turbo are not homebrews. Several 2600 enthusiasts took unreleased, unfinished prototypes and made them playable. Both games are fun to play, especially if you are a fan of the arcade originals.

If I had to pick just five currently-available AtariAge 2600 releases to own, I would say Thrust+, Space Rocks, Chetiry, Medieval Mayhem and maybe Halo 2600 (I haven't bought it yet, but it has the reviews and the history to be worth the price). Of course the upcoming Stay Frosty 2 would demand a spot on the list once it came out.

• Like 2

Halo 2600 is very cool from a collectible standpoint, and it is fun to play, but I feel there are other homebrews that are better if you are looking for long-term playability.

It depends a lot on your interests. If you liked the original Atari Outlaw, Gunfight is a great game. First person space shooter? Starfire rocks. Defender/Space Invader/Beamrider type game? Juno First. Best multiplayer game of all time for 2600? Medieval Mayhem -- everyone I have played it with loves it! If you like a dungeon-crawl type of game, Dungeon is a lot of fun; it's one of my favorites. If you enjoy Sears Submarine Commander, Seawolf is even more fun with a lot of replay value.

I guess what I am saying is that personal preferences play into what you would consider a fun game. Look at what you play now and find similar homebrew games.

EDIT: If you truly just want to buy the top five most popular games, you can sort by most popular and buy the top five (although I wouldn't consider the number 1 spot, Synthcart, a game):

http://atariage.com/store/index.php?m=&c=24&l=product_list&sortby=num_sold:desc

Edited by atari_envy
  • Like 1

Before you buy, considering taking the homebrews for a test drive on your computer using Stella. Most of the ROMs are available, typically in a topic found in the Homebrew forum.

Here's links to where to find the ROMs for my games:

While it hasn't been updated since 2008, this topic in the Homebrew forum contains links to a lot of the games available in the AtariAge store.

Nathan Strum has done in-depth reviews for most of the homebrews, check them out here.

• Like 1

Before you buy, considering taking the homebrews for a test drive on your computer using Stella. Most of the ROMs are available, typically in a topic found in the Homebrew forum.

Here's links to where to find the ROMs for my games:

While it hasn't been updated since 2008, this topic in the Homebrew forum contains links to a lot of the games available in the AtariAge store.

Nathan Strum has done in-depth reviews for most of the homebrews, check them out here.

Awesome, really appreciate it and will do!

This is a great time to be into Atari home-brews. Darrell was being humble, but SpiceWare's games are must buys! Stay Frosty 2 should be out before too long also.

Most of these have been mentioned already, but some of my all time favs include:

2005 Minigame Multicart

A-VCS-tec Challenge

AStar

Chetiry

Juno First

K.O. Cruiser

Lady Bug

Pac-Man 4K or the Hack 'Em download if you have a Harmony cart

Stella's Stocking

Strat-O-Gems Deluxe

This Planet Sucks

The only reason I won't be buying any Pac-Man for the 2600 is because I already ordered the Collection for the 7800, which got here yesterday but I can't play yet because my 7800 is out getting AV modded. The rest of this stuff looks amazing though and can't wait to try some of it out and order it. If Stay Frosty II doesn't come out until it's warm, I'm ordering it and saving it to play next holiday season...

No love for Cave In, or Dungeon?

I own Dungeon. It fills a nice hole in the 2600 library, but I think it is one you can enjoy in emulation. I think some of the other games in this thread push the 2600 a bit harder. However, Dungeon has more positive reviews in the store than (I think) any other homebrew so ymmv

No love for Cave In, or Dungeon? I haven't played them, but their lack of notice in this thread makes me wonder if should snag them.

I have both. You can get a cool poster with Dungeon for just an extra $5. I started playing Cave In and really liked it. It's one of those "need to make a map" kind of games, though, and I just haven't had the time to continue it. I haven't played Dungeon yet but have heard great things about it. There are reviews in the Atari Age store.