IGNORED

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH no more on my TI-PEB!

Omega-TI

Has anyone else ever experienced the BLUE SCREEN of DEATH on their TI? My P-Box stopped working today. If I have the P-BOX on, then turn on my console all I get is a BLUE SCREEN. If I turn off the P-Box or unplug it, the video it comes up fine.

So what is the TI looking for that it does not find? Is the 32K memory dead?

You try cleaning all the edge and female connectors, or reseating everything?

I did reseat everything, but I did not clean the contacts. I had just finished playing Road Hunter, turned off the TI and went for some coffee. I decided to come back just 10 minutes later to do some disk formatting when the BLUE SCREEN punched me in the face. I dunno what the problem is. If I had some extra cards to swap out I could narrow it down pretty fast. Of course with 30+ year old Tech it could just as easily be a bad capacitor. Sigh....

Yeah, clean all the connectors first of course. And if you're lucky... you can look for obvious signs of cap damage (bubbling, or dome shaped up top or leaking on the bottom) or otherwise just shotgun replace suspect components.

Blue screen of death universally sucks, but funny how the system still works! Have not seen too many truly blown TI's in my time. ;)

Start by removing all the cards, except for the flex card.

Then if it works, install just the 32k memory or whatever you using, and making sure SIZE displays it from Extended Basic.

Then install your Disk controller and makes sure Extended Basic does a DSK1.LOAD with no problems.

After that work on RS232 and other non-normal cards like a Ramdisk, etc.

What is the type of cards in your system?

Do you have CorComp Disk or Horizon Ramdisk, both of those are famous for giving a blue-screen as they try to take over the power-up dsr code.

• Like 1

After that work on RS232 and other non-normal cards like a Ramdisk, etc.

Well, I found the problem, and it's depressing. There is 'something' wrong with my HDX board.... :_(

1) I pulled the RS-232/HDX, and the TI booted up properly, so...

2) I pulled the battery on the card to wipe the memory (my thinking was the programming got corrupted somehow).

3) I re-inserted the card, turned on the computer and it booted up just fine, so...

4) I ran the HDX programming program...

5) ... BLUE SCREEN of DEATH again! :mad:

gallery_35324_1077_755862.jpg

I did reseat everything, but I did not clean the contacts. I had just finished playing Road Hunter, turned off the TI and went for some coffee. I decided to come back just 10 minutes later to do some disk formatting when the BLUE SCREEN punched me in the face. I dunno what the problem is. If I had some extra cards to swap out I could narrow it down pretty fast. Of course with 30+ year old Tech it could just as easily be a bad capacitor. Sigh....

Now that's what I call a game!-does Rasmus know that Road Hunter destroys P.E.B's? ;)

• Like 1

Did the guy that put it together remember to cut the interrupt trace? no 5 on this photo http://home.vodafonethuis.nl/fgkaal/Hardware/hw_ti99hdx_card_rs232.html

The trace needs to be cut for the card to allow the TI to finish the bootup routine with a bad DSR

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper

Did the guy that put it together remember to cut the interrupt trace? no 5 on this photo http://home.vodafonethuis.nl/fgkaal/Hardware/hw_ti99hdx_card_rs232.html

The trace needs to be cut for the card to allow the TI to finish the bootup routine with a bad DSR

Greg

Thanks Greg, I check the card for this. It should be fine though; it boots up fine with NO DSR, it's just after it's loaded that it screws up. It WAS working perfect. Either way I'll should have my replacement unit on Tuesday of next week... along with my 80 track update for the FDC. Hopefully I get everything up and running before my UDS-10 shows up.

Thanks Greg, I check the card for this. It should be fine though; it boots up fine with NO DSR, it's just after it's loaded that it screws up. It WAS working perfect. Either way I'll should have my replacement unit on Tuesday of next week... along with my 80 track update for the FDC. Hopefully I get everything up and running before my UDS-10 shows up.

Ok if it boots without the dsr then that trace is cut.. There must be another issue. Are you leaving the PC plugged in? Try booting with the pc unplugged if so.. I had a prob the other day with my tI locking on boot and it turned out it was my PC not responding to hdx because it had locked

Greg

Ok if it boots without the dsr then that trace is cut.. There must be another issue. Are you leaving the PC plugged in? Try booting with the pc unplugged if so.. I had a prob the other day with my tI locking on boot and it turned out it was my PC not responding to hdx because it had locked

Greg

It had never been an issue before, it would boot with the laptop on, off, plugged it, unplugged, in stand by mode, minimized, maximized or not even running the HDX program. It's that proverbial 'something else'. :? I'll give that a try though!

Have you tested the battery?

:) Yepper's! That was the FIRST thing I tried. It's tested as good, but I figured it could not hurt to slip a new one in 'just in case'.

Still...

FUBAR1

Nothing on the PC side...

FUBAR2

The thing is a snap to program (aka bullet/idiot proof)

FUBAR3

And I checked the DSR's afterwards with DU2K
It's gotta be the HDX itself....

I'm wondering how this has turned out. I've been having problems of my own lately, but since I'm not connected to the internet at home yet, I'll wait to post about that.

Hope you get it working Kevan! :)

Hi Robert,

Yep, just got it working today! :) I was able to swap in a new TI RS-232 with an HDX onboard and everything is working A-OK. :thumbsup:

I also have some new chips plugged into my TI-FDC, so now with the 80 track chips installed I have 360K on each drive for a total of 720K in the PEB.

Now I'm just waiting on my UDS-10 so I can telnet with the TI. I'm also using the Y-cable now for the HDX since the UDS-10 will be plugged into it as well. The interesting thing about the Y-cable I bought off of eBay, the /1 and /2 are mis-labeled!

My biggest concern is what's next?

Was it the HDX or the RS232 at fault here?

I never got that far in the diagnosis, so I cannot honestly tell you. Sorry. The assumption is the HDX, but it'll take a while to be sure. I'm just happy to be back up. This time I'm going to be smarter and put more stuff on disk "just in case something else happens".