IGNORED

OIL'S WELL Atari 5200

Aking

I should have been more clear... The issue might be on my end as well..

Upon speaking with sdamon it must be, dont know just what yet.... Dont want to throw up red flags .

post edited to remove that..

BTW, thanks to Sdamon & Paul for the pM

Edited by peedenmark7

I just added the "fixed" Oil's well to my 128 in 1 USB cart with no issue.

I opened my .MCW file using the Atarimax software.

I removed the game in slot 81 (was Oriley's Mine XL Conversion)

I added the Oil's Well fixed rom. Sync'd the cart, Saved the .MCW file.

Played Oil's Well and a few other on the cart to make sure everything is working.

So far, seems fine.

I've also tested both the fixed (thanks, Paul!) and unfixed binaries with no problems with my 128-in-1. I had the same results as Official Ninja... no issues.

Peedenmark7, please check your PM's. I've sent you some instructions that might help you get started in reconstructing your multicart.

Thank you both, I have added the fixed version back to my original post.

Man Aking is so fast with these, I totally missed this one! Great conversion. Is it me or does this stupid game cause you to die for no reason? A real chore with the CX52 stick...

Sounds like you're using the 1st release with problems.

Try the fixed version here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222047-oils-well-atari-5200/?do=findComment&comment=2928221

Just got done playing this and I must commend you on such great work! Thank you very much again! Helps people like me in my situation!

Thank you but I must say that it does not take much to do these 16K conversions (i.e. games which run on a 16K A8). They are still 99% the work of the original A8 author, my 1% is just making the 5200 look like it's an A8.

Thank you but I must say that it does not take much to do these 16K conversions (i.e. games which run on a 16K A8). They are still 99% the work of the original A8 author, my 1% is just making the 5200 look like it's an A8.

Still great work on your part for those of us that can't afford cart versions. Keep up the fantastic work!

Right but you and Aking have turned these out faster than I've seen anybody do in years and years.

An A8 that supports the 5200 controllers, right?

• 4 months later...

Greetings,

I tried using the oil_fixed.bin on a 32K Atari 5200 cart (the same type of board I use with 32K homebrew games I sell in the store), and the game does not run properly for me. Once you start the game, the gameplay screen is not drawn properly, and player/missile graphics are wrong. I tried this with two different boards, with two different types of EPROMs, with the same results. Very odd.

oils_well_5200.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks!

..Al

Albert, on 17 Jul 2014 - 4:04 PM, said:

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks!

..Al

It's uninitialized RAM. You don't see the issue on an Atarimax since the loader will clear memory. You don't see it on Altirra either... unless you select Debug -> Options -> Randomize Memory At Cold Reset.

I've cleared down memory during the initial boot and that now runs in Altirra with the above option selected, so hopefully it'll work on your cart now.

Paul

oil_fixed_2.bin