IGNORED

Poster for the new film, Gameplay: The Story of the Videogame Revolution

The poster for the upcoming Gameplay: The Story of the Videogame Revolution documentary film is now ready, and shown below. When the Website is ready, I'll post again, and also once distribution details for this year are finalized. The film, which is based on the Vintage Games series of books by me and Matt Barton (we're also writers and producers on the film), covers the history of videogames from the perspective of those who made it happen. Those interviewed include Nolan Bushnell, John Romero, Todd Howard, Daniel Murray, Darion Lowenstein, Eric Lindstrom, David Crane, and many, many more. The narrator is Cain Devore. The film also has a Facebook and Google+ presence, although Armchair Arcade is still a great place to find out new details (in fact, here's the same thing as a blog post there so you can see the PDF).

post-3105-0-10279000-1392478790_thumb.png

• Like 2

I hope it doesn't tell this rubbish on how (supposedly) Pac-Man and ET crashed the industry.

And gets it right that the video game crash was in 1984, not 83.

Not really. I personally favor 1984 as the Crash year (which is detailed in my latest book that was just released, Vintage Game Consoles) because that was the year that the consumer felt it, but technically 1983 is not wrong either because that's when the businesses felt it. I also don't like to simplify the causes of the Crash. It wasn't one or two games, but a series of events and poor decisions that led to it. The film does however use Pac-Man and ET as one of several examples in a broader explanation of why the Crash happened. With that said, for a film that runs 1 hour and 30 minutes or so and covers as much of the subject as it does, some ideas do need to be streamlined a bit to move the story along, plus be more approachable for a general audience.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Better not leave out Atari ST

Usually in USA these things skip from 2600 (little bit mentioned) to NES (hugely mentioned) and leave out everything else in between. Look at the poster, no Bounty Bob, no Rockford, no Sonic, but of course, Mario. (Although Mario is an Atari character, that'll work for me).

Actually I don't think computers will be included? No Apple ][, C64, A8?

Edited by high voltage

Usually in USA these things skip from 2600 (little bit mentioned) to NES (hugely mentioned) and leave out everything else in between. Look at the poster, no Bounty Bob, no Rockford, no Sonic, but of course, Mario. (Although Mario is an Atari character, that'll work for me).

Actually I don't think computers will be included? No Apple ][, C64, A8?

Yes, computers are included. It's comprehensive, but not always specific. In other words, you'll see items related to a wide variety of systems and platforms, but not every system and platform, and often not much on a specific system or platform (maybe a brief clip or image, for instance). A bigger focus is more on the games themselves, significant milestones, and industry trends. We more or less go from the 60s (though the actual start is before that) to the present day, which is a lot to cover in 1.5 hours.

My original intention was to feature nearly every possible platform, but naturally the scope changes over time, particularly with so many people involved in a major project like this.

• 2 weeks later...