IGNORED

MyIDE II and Ultimate 2K14 Lotharek

Stefan Both

I own a couple U1MB's the MyIDE-II and a couple Side-II carts. I have personally never had any of my U1MB's do what yours is doing. I have "bricked" my U1MB, recovered it (with FJK's awesome help), and tried a ton of configuration tests to try to get MyIDE-II to work the way I want it to, No real luck there. If I turn most of the U1MB features off (or set them to stock), the MyIDE works fine, just not the way I want it to. With yours, the corrupted screens and problems reflashing - I 100% agree with FJC that something is not right with the install of your U1MB. I have a U1MB in a 1200XL and one in a 800XL. Neither do what yours does. My Side-II carts work awesomely with the U1MB, as long as I use SDX (either from the Side-II or the U1MB), but I have not been able to really get anything going with either a MyDOS or alternative DOS. I am trying to get away from SDX reliance as I want to run Mac65 and Action to get back into programming the A8, but neither of these programs run under SDX. I keep trying different configurations, but memory conflicts just wont let me get anywhere. I am still hoping somebody somewhere will recompile a version of Action of Mac65 that will work with SDX, but not holding my breath. My suggestion to you would be to let FJC figure out where your installation went bad, and you WILL be happy with these mods. The documentation of all these newer mods is sketchy and scattered all over the web. I think it would be a great project for somebody to put together a documentation set for U1MB, Side-II, MyIDE-II, the Atarimax Flash Carts, and any of the other newer mods that have come out recently. I have found that some of these things are awesome, but sometimes figuring out how to setup and use them is quite an adventure.

Dont let me be misunderstood. I own computers and additional hardware of nearly

all home computer systems. There are always reefs to ship around. Especially Amstrad

computer made me crazy, but the C= ś has also some tricky things to solve when

trying to mod.

No doubt, I'm unexperienced in Atari things.

I hope flashjazzcat can confirm, I made that mod in a professional way.

But I also agree with Dragon from the bottom of my heart.

It is very difficult to get all the informations needed. It is scattered all over

the internet.

It is more than possible, that I made a big mistake in deep conviction ;-) .

That is, why Iḿ happy about flashjazzcats offer to help.

Whatever the problem is /was - I wanna know it.

I´d like to improve my knowledge in atari things in the future.

That means of course, flashing MyIde, U1mB, testing different

hardware configs / software and so on.

As a beginner, I´m predestinated, to write a manual.

Why? I ask myselfe the right (silly) questions. As soon as

I know the answeres, I´ll write it down.

I promise, I will do that, if I have a working XL back.

(I started a comparable thing in the Commodore scene

with the easy flash³. The finetuning was done by experts then.)

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both

I own a couple U1MB's the MyIDE-II and a couple Side-II carts. I have personally never had any of my U1MB's do what yours is doing. I have "bricked" my U1MB, recovered it (with FJK's awesome help), and tried a ton of configuration tests to try to get MyIDE-II to work the way I want it to, No real luck there. If I turn most of the U1MB features off (or set them to stock), the MyIDE works fine, just not the way I want it to. With yours, the corrupted screens and problems reflashing - I 100% agree with FJC that something is not right with the install of your U1MB. I have a U1MB in a 1200XL and one in a 800XL. Neither do what yours does. My Side-II carts work awesomely with the U1MB, as long as I use SDX (either from the Side-II or the U1MB), but I have not been able to really get anything going with either a MyDOS or alternative DOS. I am trying to get away from SDX reliance as I want to run Mac65 and Action to get back into programming the A8, but neither of these programs run under SDX. I keep trying different configurations, but memory conflicts just wont let me get anywhere. I am still hoping somebody somewhere will recompile a version of Action of Mac65 that will work with SDX, but not holding my breath. My suggestion to you would be to let FJC figure out where your installation went bad, and you WILL be happy with these mods. The documentation of all these newer mods is sketchy and scattered all over the web. I think it would be a great project for somebody to put together a documentation set for U1MB, Side-II, MyIDE-II, the Atarimax Flash Carts, and any of the other newer mods that have come out recently. I have found that some of these things are awesome, but sometimes figuring out how to setup and use them is quite an adventure.

I'm surprised you have so much issues with MyIDE 2 and U1MB. I run it really perfect. Only difference is that I keep using the MyBIOS for MyIDE 1 instead of the MyBIOS for MyIDE 2. The so called -RE version of MyBIOS is way more stable, and lacks only a few tiny, not interesting, features, while it's operation is very compatible, and very good.

You can even run Mac/65 as a CART from the FAT32 from MyIDE ][ and boot from a hard disk partition of the same myIDE ][ interface. It's awesome!

I'm surprised you have so much issues with MyIDE 2 and U1MB. I run it really perfect. Only difference is that I keep using the MyBIOS for MyIDE 1 instead of the MyBIOS for MyIDE 2. The so called -RE version of MyBIOS is way more stable, and lacks only a few tiny, not interesting, features, while it's operation is very compatible, and very good.

You can even run Mac/65 as a CART from the FAT32 from MyIDE ][ and boot from a hard disk partition of the same myIDE ][ interface. It's awesome!

This is the problem I have. Everytime I mention I am having probs getting the MyIDE-II working with my U1MB, I get people telling me it works awesome for them. That's really great and all, but if you found a solution, how's about sharing it? I havent found anybody telling me exactly how they have theirs configured or what they had to do to get it right. So, I just shoot in the dark trying to get mine to work the way I want it to. If you arent sharing the wisdom of how you got it working, what good is it to anybody to hear how great you think it is? How about a few lines about how to get Mac65 running from FAT32 while booting from HD? A little help in that direction would be awesome, as that is exactly what I havent been able to get going yet.

And Stefan, keep fighting the good fight. I wasnt trying to insult you. I was just trying to help. I hope you can get your gear running the way you want.

Edited by Dragon375

This is the problem I have. Everytime I mention I am having probs getting the MyIDE-II working with my U1MB, I get people telling me it works awesome for them. That's really great and all, but if you found a solution, how's about sharing it? I havent found anybody telling me exactly how they have theirs configured or what they had to do to get it right. So, I just shoot in the dark trying to get mine to work the way I want it to. If you arent sharing the wisdom of how you got it working, what good is it to anybody to hear how great you think it is? How about a few lines about how to get Mac65 running from FAT32 while booting from HD? A little help in that direction would be awesome, as that is exactly what I havent been able to get going yet.

And Stefan, keep fighting the good fight. I wasnt trying to insult you. I was just trying to help. I hope you can get your gear running the way you want.

Hi Dragon375,

Can not remember I saw a question from you about it, but of course I want to help with anything. As you can see in this thread I have been trying to help Stefan too.

First a few questions for you:

1) Do you know how to flash a different OS slot in one of the 4 pre-programmed OS slots of your Ultimate1MB? If no, that will be the first thing to find out.

2) If 1 is yes, then: what OS did you program in one of these slots for your MyIDE 2, or did you not program yet a myide OS (called MyBIOS in it?)

The other things will come next.

Could you describe what your wishes are, and could you describe what does work?

Ok, sorry if I sounded a bit upset earlier. To answer your questions:

1) LOL. Yeah, I have flashed a lot of different OS's into my U1MB. Thanks to FJC's awesome uflash it isnt near the hassle it used to be.

2) I have the current R2 of MyBIOS flashed in there, but it isnt really helpful. When I switch to that OS I cannot use the START/SELECT/OPTION to enter the IDE setup, it just flashes the screen then locks up. Not useful at all.

I have tried a lot of different things to try and get this working. The best results come from turning off SDX and Side support in the U1MB, and booting the MyIDE-II, select MyBIOS, then space to continue boot. Where can I d/l the older MyBIOS which you say works better? That may be just what I need.

Ok, sorry if I sounded a bit upset earlier. To answer your questions:

1) LOL. Yeah, I have flashed a lot of different OS's into my U1MB. Thanks to FJC's awesome uflash it isnt near the hassle it used to be.

2) I have the current R2 of MyBIOS flashed in there, but it isnt really helpful. When I switch to that OS I cannot use the START/SELECT/OPTION to enter the IDE setup, it just flashes the screen then locks up. Not useful at all.

I have tried a lot of different things to try and get this working. The best results come from turning off SDX and Side support in the U1MB, and booting the MyIDE-II, select MyBIOS, then space to continue boot. Where can I d/l the older MyBIOS which you say works better? That may be just what I need.

Hi again!

Some versions of MyBIOS do need that you install the MyBIOS menu on your CF card. That is the case with that older version that I will post as soon as I'm home again. IIRC I posted a while ago this version on this forum (I will search for that and post it later).

Indeed you need to disable SDX and SIDE hardware in ultimate menu. That is important. If you want to use SDX you need a few different steps.

That your screen flashes and the atari freezes, could mean that your CF is not prepared the way it should. When you do that key-combination the MyBIOS tries to load a menu, which should be installed on the CF card. Wel... that is the fact with the older versions of MyBIOS. I'm not sure whether this is also the case with the version of MyBIOS you use, so I'm not sure that IS the solution.

If you want to test some things already, search on the AtariMax forum (not in the MyIDE 2 forum, but in the MyIDE 1 forum) for the beta of 4.8.05 ... that package (it is a zip) does also contain the ATR to prepare the CF card with the menu. But that menu will only work (of course) with the mybios for MyIDE 1.

It's really confusing for people who are not into it. There are a zillion different versions of MyBIOS and it is very hard to understand.

MyBIOS -RE is the ROM version (for U1MB) for MyIDE 1 -> also compatible with MyIDE 2 -> this is the one I use!

MyBIOS -R2 is the ROM version (for U1MB) for MyIDE 2 -> I suppose you use this one

MyBIOS -FE is the Flashable ROM for the MyIDE 1 cart itself -> you should not use this anymore as soon as your -RE works fine.

MyBIOS -F2 is the Flashable ROM for the MyIDE 2 cart itself -> you should not use this anymore as soon as your -R2 works fine.

For the -RE version I'm 100% sure you have to write the MyIDE menu (which is needed to configure the MyIDE partitions and CF card) to the CF card.

When you first want to test your MyIDE cart you can stick with -FE or -F2 (for these versions you do not need to write the MyIDE menu to the CF card)

I'll search for the latest and most stable version for MyBIOS -RE

I'm not at home now, so I can't post that ATR to prepare the CF card.

Need more help, feel free to ask!

In this thread you'll find the ATR

http://atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1318

Download the file MyBIOS -ROM.ZIP in the fourth post.

you'll find a SETUP-something.ATR in that ZIP file.

That one will write the MyBIOS menu to the the CF card.

I think you will have to run that file when MyBIOS is active, so you might need to use -FE first.

Ok, found the proper files and got -RE flashed into U1MB. Got the .atr and setup the MyIDE-][.. seems to be working.. Lemme see if it's doing what I want it to. Thanks ProWizard!

Awesome!! 100% what I have been trying for! Now I have full Mac65 functions and a TON of diskspace to fill up with programming junk! Now, THIS is what I bought the MyIDE-][ for! I still have my Side-II's, but not everything runs under SDX. Now, I need to figure out how to get Action! running in my new environment. ProWizard I'm gonna name all my illegitimate children after you! You are DA MAN!

Edited by Dragon375
  • Like 2

I'm dipping my toe into the dark waters of MyBIOS in order to test Stefan's setup, and I have a question which doesn't seem to be covered in the MyBIOS manual. How does one boot from a hard disk partition with a drive number other than 1 - i.e. boot the system from a partition assigned "D3:"???

I'm dipping my toe into the dark waters of MyBIOS in order to test Stefan's setup, and I have a question which doesn't seem to be covered in the MyBIOS manual. How does one boot from a hard disk partition with a drive number other than 1 - i.e. boot the system from a partition assigned "D3:"???

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8426#p8426

Look at this site .. The first graphic is the Partitioning Fdisk portion of the Bios..

Swap partition C and A will allow booting into partition C if It has a bootable DOS..

Is Steve using MyDOS or SDX44x..

Swap partition C and A will allow booting into partition C if It has a bootable DOS..

Thanks! However, I don't want an HDD partition on A at all. With APT, I usually leave the first two drive numbers free for serial devices and start numbering the HDD partitions from C: upwards, booting from C:. I wondered if this was possible in MyBIOS.

Is Steve using MyDOS or SDX44x..

Stefan? MyDOS. I seem to remember it (like disk-based Sparta) keeps resetting DUNIT to 1 (i.e. assuming it's booting from D1:), so the whole endeavour may be a bit of a waste of time anyway, but I wanted to give it a try.

Simply do not mount anything to D1: will boot SIO.

So when you disable all the partitions and you want only partition C to be enabled, but not booting; you set partition C to D3:.

You'll boot D1: from Sio then and as soon as you access D3: partition C is read/write from CF card.

It's funny (no offense) how people can respond to user interfaces. I find the user interface of MyBIOS very understandable and easy in use. But obviously it isn't to everybody; which is seriously interesting!

• Like 1

No … and I think that makes sense, since I personally never need to boot from another Dx: than D1:

And indeed that is not possible.

But you can do that quite simple:

1. First set the partition you want to boot to D1:

2. Boot the computer

3. Press HELP

4. Press C

5. Change the partition that is D1: to D3:

6. Press ESC, Save and ready.

Well, that's a reasonable rationalisation, but I still regard the inability to boot from any drive other than D1: as a glaring omission in a hard disk driver. IDEa and KMK/JZ can do it, IDE Plus 2.0 can do it, Incognito can do it, Ultimate/SIDE can do it. Having to jump into the config screen to swap drive numbers around isn't really a convenient solution when all I want to do is leave the first two drive numbers free for serial drives.

In any case: I was just curious; thanks so much for the clarification.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just because I like to know how a story ends ... how did this one end? Or did it?

Flashjazzcat reflashed the Ultimate for me, and made a few modifications.

We both came to the conclusion, it could be the PowerSupply.

(because it seems to be the only faulty piece of hardware - the

rest I sent him works well (but the Ultimate, who was killed by a bad

flash I made)...

Anyway... The packet is on it's way heading home.

I'll make a new PSV. If I've verified the functionality, I'll

start over.

Since I got the SIO2SD, I'll use MyIDE for MyDos

and the Sio2SD for SDX.

Hope that will solve the problems.

In September, we have our yearly meeting, where the guys from

ABBUC join us.

I have then somebody looking over my shoulders, if I test it.

And (most important) give me some lessons in operating

an XL ;)

--- just to answere your question ;-) ---

Stefan