IGNORED

Games that don't work with Harmony?

Tempest

People were commenting with some in the "Encore" thread. Zippy the Porcupine, Boulder Dash, Megaboy were mentioned. I don't know, I'm still not very happy about making the Harmony "obsolete." Granted many programmers probably don't have the time to create a game larger than 32KB, many stay at 4 or 8K.

That I know of:

Zippy and Stella's Stocking (ROM too big: 64kb)

Boulderdash (uses too much RAM)

Some obscure Brazilian multicart uses a 64kb ROM with weird 2kb bankswitching, that consists of 32 x 2kb games on it. I forgot the name, but it likely won't work.

Oh, and Supercharger ROMs have to be formatted with a very specific header and filesize to work with Harmony. I've never tried playing them but remember reading about Supercharger support in the docs.

There's probably others. Very rarely certain homebrew games don't function correctly on certain hardware revisions of 7800s and Atari Jrs, although that's not a Harmony issue. 4-switch and 6-switch Ataris should be 100% compatible will all games unless it is to big or uses a bizarre mapper.

It may be possible to run some of the above mentioned games on a Cuttle Cart but I have no idea since I don't own one.

Edited by stardust4ever

I never got F-14 Tomcat working. It rolls like a PAL game. I don't know if it's because I have a bad rom, I'm playing it on a 7800, or I'm an idiot. No biggie though. The only reason I put it on the Harmony was because I was putting the Activision Anthology game list on there.

Some games have vertical sync signals that aren't lined up properly on the scan lines-- vertical sync gets turned on and off mid-line rather than at the beginning of the scan line, which can cause the screen to roll on some TV sets. I don't know if that's the problem with F-14 Tomcat, but if it is then it might be fixable with a hack.

I don't know if that's the problem with F-14 Tomcat, but if it is then it might be fixable with a hack.

According to Atarimania, F-14 Tomcat is a PAL game. I don't know if there's an NTSC version with that name, but there's an NTSC version called Tomcat: The F-14 Flight Simulator, so maybe you should try that version instead.

I never got F-14 Tomcat working. It rolls like a PAL game. I don't know if it's because I have a bad rom, I'm playing it on a 7800, or I'm an idiot. No biggie though. The only reason I put it on the Harmony was because I was putting the Activision Anthology game list on there.

Some games don't have the apropriate number of scanlines. Various CRTs all have limits as to how few or many scanlines they'll accept. Air Raid rolls slowly on my bedroom TV but syncs fine on my mom's.

I looked at the NTSC version of Tomcat: The F-14 Flight Simulator in Stella. VSYNC gets turned on at cycles 3 through 5, and gets turned off 3 scan lines later at cycles 6 through 8, which is probably okay-- so the best thing to do is make sure you're using the NTSC ROM rather than the PAL ROM.

PS -- The NTSC version does draw 262 scan lines, so that isn't a problem.

Edited by SeaGtGruff

I was playing the Starcastle ROM. There's two files, one for Stella and one for Harmony. The Stella file doesn't work on Harmony so something must be going on under the hood that I don't know about. Also, Circus Atariage shows the yin yang logo when you boot it from Harmony. This is absent in Stella.