IGNORED

ABBUC SWC 2014: Dimo's Quest

8Bitjunkie

Hi Folks,

currently i am working on a new Atari 8bit game for the upcoming ABBUC software contest.

Usually old computer games are implemented to the current computer generation. This is called a "remake"

...Now i want to go the other way: implement an old computer game on an even older and therefore much weaker computersystem. This is called a "demake"

post-38160-0-71451400-1392848248_thumb.png post-38160-0-85659500-1392848483_thumb.png post-38160-0-20249000-1392848547_thumb.png

The video-link below shows how a demake of my 20-year old Amiga game "Dimo's Quest" would look on a 30-year old Atari 800 XL.

The original game "Dimo's Quest" was developed in 1993 by my german software company "Infernal Byte Systems" (located in Hildesheim/germany) on the Commodore Amiga.
There were also ports to the PC (DOS) and the Phillips CDI.

Now, 20 years later, i make a demake for the Atari 8-bit computers. The game is at an early stage - the release is scheduled for autumn 2014.

What do you think about it?

Greetings from germany

Thomas

Video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCzVow883b4

• Like 17

@rybags: The SWC rules allows us the publishing of "marketing material" e.g. videos and screenshots. We just are not allowed to publish the game itself before the contest-day...
The title-screen is a raster-converter version of the original amiga pic :-)

Edited by 8Bitjunkie

Now, 20 years later, i make a demake for the Atari 8-bit computers. The game is at an early stage - the release is scheduled for autumn 2014.

What do you think about it?

Looks really good so far -- colors and gameplay. Good to see someone utilizing raster-converter for a title-screen too.

Are you planning to include the intro dialogue and animations, and the same type of level selection screens?

@ MrFish: Yes, i plan to do so. The atari version should be as close to the amiga version as possible.

Sounds great. It would be a pretty big achievement for the 8-Bits.

I hope there is enough time to realize this before the deadline :-)

Yes, that's one reason why I asked. Time flies...

Very clever usage DLI/color for the game design. Also love the title picture conversion. Looking forward to the result, I keep my fingers crossed (the last 30% are the hardest, but you know that already).

@TMR: it would be an honor :-) Please feel free to do so...

Thanks very much, it'll be a news item in issue 128. =-)

Charge him, he's a freeloader ;)

This is why i can't take you anywhere without having to go back and apologise afterwards. =-)

• Like 1