IGNORED

ABBUC SWC 2014: Dimo's Quest

8Bitjunkie

@Robert: well, yes and no. There are most of the in-game-elements present in Dimo's Quest, but it only scrolls horizontally.

This is a well made design decision, because this is my first 6502 game, and i do not wanted the code to be to complex for my little old brain ;-)

So there is no way to adapt the Chips's Challenge levels 1:1 (same to the original levels of Dimo's Quest 16 bit).

But with a little re-design you can do that.

The level editor (Windows, maybe OSX too) which can build a data-disk for Dimo's Quest, will be available shortly after the ABBUC SWC.

...so you may build your own Chip's Challenge and play it on your Atari :-)

Now with teleports, moving background and a few updated pattern...

Still in schedule: Release fall 2014.

Looks quite promising! Do you plan to brush up the GFX later on? Esp. the frog looks IMHO a bit 'plain'.

Beg you pardon, but I couldn't resist to create a little mock-up.

Keep it up!

post-7778-0-65752500-1395007411_thumb.png

post-7778-0-84181300-1395007426_thumb.png

post-7778-0-16777800-1395007449_thumb.png

• Like 4

@irgendwer: First: The graphics are my "coder-graphics". i am just pretty proud of it - because i do not be able to do it any better :-)
BUT ! The graphic artist of the original amiga version - Tobias Prinz - just joined me. Let's see what he can do...

Btw: Your mock-up looks quite cool - i wish the little Atari could do that... :-)
But if the little Atari can do that - PLEASE tell me how :-) !!!

Edited by 8Bitjunkie
  • Like 1

BUT ! The graphic artist of the original amiga version - Tobias Prinz - just joined me. Let's see what he can do...

Great news!

Btw: Your mock-up looks quite cool - i wish the little Atari could do that... :-)

But if the little Atari can do that - PLEASE tell me how :-) !!!

The three images above are out of G2F - so the mock-up is of course possible on the A8. There is nothing special. The frog is build up on two players via GRAFP (see below) and the environment is plain character-redefinition + DLIs - like you already did. If you like to have the G2F file drop me a note.

What about this mock-up? Oh, wait, THAT was the amiga version :-)

To be honest, I took this as a template/inspiration... :)

post-7778-0-36000300-1395081915_thumb.png

• Like 1

@irgendwer: NOTE! :-)

What is G2F?

Attached.

http://g2f.atari8.info/

But in your mock-up, i see clearly much more colors per scanline than 5 - So how could this be done with font-definitions?

And the frog has much more than 3 Colors! HOW?

There are only 5 colours per scanline (+PMG). Edit (you were faster): Your screen-shot looks like it is taken from a picture-viewer which interpolates colours/pixels when zooming in... (you should have the same effect with your original graphic)

So: Sorry - no magic...

DQ.zip

Edited by Irgendwer

@irgendwer: I have just played a bit around in my Font&Level-Editor...

The shadow is not possible, because i would need much more font-characters as 128 (which create 64 pattern in font-sets) to place the sweets, teleports, switches in one of six (!) shadow-pattern :-(

post-38160-0-31677500-1395086431_thumb.png

Edited by 8Bitjunkie

You can have the shadow just using 1char.

Instead of diagonal line shadow you can have a char and only one char for the 'pixels dither shadow'.

Can't do an example now in this phone but lets see if I can explain:

In all the game you have each screen gfx/object in [2x2]chars size.

So imagine that shadow its S and F it's any other part of the floor...

Now and according to the wall you have the tile/floor [2x2]chars size:

SF

SF

or

FF

SF

or

SF

FF

or

SS

FF

See it? The shadow dither just takes one char.

Here you have the idea (the difference is that here the shadow uses 4chars according to wich part of the wall it is covering):

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/LNIHnL-u61k/hqdefault.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DLNIHnL-u61k&usg=__sAefUZIA8jkNGFLHZtzmghWMEDA=&h=360&w=480&hl=pt-PT&start=1&sig2=hXOYBZWMVJwnwrFVJbVvEw&zoom=1&tbnid=DukppCPvgvSHVM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=129&ei=5HonU_nwLaiS0QXG6YGoAQ&sa=X&ved=0CCgQrQMwAA&ptbm=isch&q=Uwol+atari+8+bit

But if you use Irgendwer idea with that dither you just need 1char and then place it according to walls and its turning.

@José: Thank you for your comment. Shure i could realize "the shadow" in 1 font-characters. So it would be fine for all floor-pattern.
What i meant was: There are not only empty flor pattern, which needs to be shadowed, but there were also teleporter, keys, sweets, arrows, water, stones, ice, lava, switches, and so on. Each of this Items need to be drawn at least twice:
One Version with shadow, one version without shadow. (OK, at least 3 of 4 Characters, the lower right never get shadow). So the shadow would literally half my patterns... which means to half the amount of game-items to play with...

Or do i don't understand your vision correctly?

Edited by 8Bitjunkie

One Version with shadow, one version without shadow. (OK, at least 3 of 4 Characters, the lower right never get shadow). So the shadow would literally half my patterns... which means to half the amount of game-items to play with...

You are right. One way around this - without reducing the number of tiles that much - could consist in alternating fonts every two scan-lines (like the colours), where some of the pick-ups are available exclusively for these 2 lines.

But I don't want to complicate things and induce something which may lead to a violation of your dead line...

(BTW: Nice editor screen shot!)

• Like 1

... where some of the pick-ups are available exclusively ....

That would be an interesting idea - i will think about it :-) as i already use alternating fonts every character-line (first font-set defines the upper half, the second font-set defines the lower half of the pattern.

BTW: The editor will be able to create additional level-discs for Dimo's Quest und will be available for the public after the contest :-)

• Like 1

That would be an interesting idea - i will think about it :-) as i already use alternating fonts every character-line (first font-set defines the upper half, the second font-set defines the lower half of the pattern.

BTW: The editor will be able to create additional level-discs for Dimo's Quest und will be available for the public after the contest :-)

Excellent - this undoubtedly lead to the popularity of games like Boulder Dash.

I am just working on the last feature of the game engine: The moving enemies.

My sprite multiplexer seems capable of drawing one enemy per line without flickering.

As the CPU time (while drawing the screen layout) is really occupied with alternating fonts and changing color registers i only have CPU-time to multiplex one pair of player.
(The display list interrupt is already turned off, as saving the registers takes too long.)

The second pair of players is exclusivly used for Dimo himself without multiplexing...

I now have the choice, if two enemies were in the same line:
a) Draw each enemy only every second frame (enemies will flicker)
b) Show the odd lines of enemy 1 and the straight lines of enemy 2 every frame.

The picture gives an example of b) on line 7

post-38160-0-31031200-1395696924_thumb.png

what do you think?

Thanks for your feedback
Thomas

Edited by 8Bitjunkie
  • Like 2

As the CPU time (while drawing the screen layout) is really occupied with alternating fonts and changing color registers i only have CPU-time to multiplex one pair of player.

a) Draw each enemy only every second frame (enemies will flicker)

b) Show the odd lines of enemy 1 and the straight lines of enemy 2 every frame.

What about single PMG enemies instead of pairs?

So two of them per line would be possible without flicker or interleaved rows... (which I both find not so appealing, but would choose 'a)' if there is no way around it)

What about single PMG enemies instead of pairs?

So two of them per line would be possible without flicker or interleaved rows... (which I both find not so appealing, but would choose 'a)' if there is no way around it)

Yes, there would be time to multiplex 2 single-colored Players. But i don't like the monocrome players, i think they would not "fit" into the colorfull playfield...

Maybe we just design the enemies in a way, that never (or at least "infrequent") two of them will be in one single line...

Edited by 8Bitjunkie
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...