IGNORED

Veccy Bird

mikiex

So here's my new game Veccy Bird for the Vectrex...

Updated:

Veccy_Bird_V1_5.zip

-Made bird brighter
-Added Support for Vectrex standard high score
-Fixed another high score bug where it would reset to a lower value sometimes.
-Reduced the maximum score required to win, its now easier to finish the game!
-Added new score name ratings
-Added new win screen (let me know if you get to it!!)

6gd2sj.jpg

29atvg3.jpg

Edited by mikiex
  • Like 7

Hopefully I will make millions and have to go into hiding :)

I already fixed a bug where the highscore was not being saved.

Here is a video running on actual hardware, sorry about the camera work - I will try and do a better video at some point.

Edited by mikiex
  • Like 7

Very nice, certainly not something we see on the Vectrex, a scrolling platformer.

Thanks, one problem for scrolling is clipping and seeing at this is my first ever game written in asm (for that matter first game I have programmed by myself to completion), I didn't want to get bogged down with any of that. So I fade the pipes off as they enter and leave the screen (might be hard to tell in the video). Scramble isn't dissimiar on the vectrex in terms of scrolling, they don't fade but you can see each section is like a tile. Of course the more recent thrust is really impressive with proper clipping.

This is incredible! How does the timing compare to the iOS original? I've watched YouTube vids of Flappy Bird, just curious how those who actually have it reckon this one compares?

It's a totally different game really as it doesn't have random levels (or random chunks of level.. I don't know what he did for sure), I could never get the timing the same at the mercy of 8bits .. I actually think its easier but then you get better at games when you test them at lot and not many people have posted high scores.

The movement I just tried different amounts of velocity for the gravity and flap bird velocity until it felt ok and worked with the levels. Then the velocity is linked to the bird rotation.

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome! I'm very glad to have a VecMulti right about now!

Hmm, my Vectrex CRT must be dying, the bird appears very dim for me. I've managed to get 8 points in about 15 tries. Further attempts may require bourbon.

I think my brightness was turned up quite a bit when I tested it and it looked a little dim when I turned it down, so I have brightened it up in v1,5 (link to new version in first post)

Edited by mikiex

• 1 month later...

Really impressive, I'm surprised how many people decided to do Angry bird versions for various consoles.

But in this one the bird isn't angry, she's flappy. ;)

Great game Mikiex! It's addictive, and better than the ios version. My current high score is 12.

I love the physics of this game. It would be fun to play a Veccy Bird sequel in a different environment.