IGNORED

DK Arcade 2600 - Playable Demo!

Byte Knight

FYI -- Found a couple of bugs on the elevator board. See attached screenshot.

A — Going up the ladder too much to one side does not allow you to firmly land on platform. And you fall.

B — I tried to jump on the elevator as it descended, but I went right through it.

I'm sure the two items above would be applicable to all of the ladders/elevators on this board.

-B

post-27802-0-86893900-1394469291_thumb.gif

FYI -- Found a couple of bugs on the elevator board. See attached screenshot.

A — Going up the ladder too much to one side does not allow you to firmly land on platform. And you fall.

B — I tried to jump on the elevator as it descended, but I went right through it.

I'm sure the two items above would be applicable to all of the ladders/elevators on this board.

-B

You are using an old build.

The latest one is here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222281-dk-arcade-2600-playable-demo/?p=2939127

and in the link in my "signature."

Byte Knight made the platform at "A" shorter in the latest build, and fixed "falling through" and other bugs.

P.S. I tried to beat your high score yesterday, but came nowhere close! :D

• Like 1

There's still the bug of Mario getting "stuck" once in a while when he jumps from the starting platform to try and catch an elevator.

He just hangs there twitching with elevators passing through him until you move, then you die

Need to find a way to consistently reproduce that

And on the cement screen, should the shrinking top ladders allow you to climb up and "touch" Kong and die?

Always thought you were safe from that

But make a mad dash for the one on the right and if you get lucky, it happens

need to start recording my games

Edited by godzillajoe

You are using an old build.

The latest one is here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222281-dk-arcade-2600-playable-demo/?p=2939127

and in the link in my "signature."

Byte Knight made the platform at "A" shorter in the latest build, and fixed "falling through" and other bugs.

P.S. I tried to beat your high score yesterday, but came nowhere close! :D

Oops! I think I somehow missed that post. I downloaded the new one. Thanks!

-B

There's still the bug of Mario getting "stuck" once in a while when he jumps from the starting platform to try and catch an elevator. He just hangs there twitching with elevators passing through him until you move, then you die. Need to find a way to consistently reproduce that

Yes, let me know if you find a way to reproduce that bug - I haven't been able to trigger it.

And on the cement screen, should the shrinking top ladders allow you to climb up and "touch" Kong and die? Always thought you were safe from that

I'm not sure if this is the case with the arcade game or not. I'll try it out on my real DK and see.

OK, one way to get the elevators bug is this....

Jump to the platform with the "hat" or whatever that bonus thing is closest to where Mario starts but up one and to the right

Stand on the edge of that platform facing left

When a passing elevator is just about nose level with Mario, just walk left and off the platform

You'll fall to the bottom and kinda float there for a few seconds before you die.

Just save the state in Stella and keep trying, it's not that hard but it does depend on timing it just right

This version of DK Arcade 2600 is just one of the many incredible examples of how phenomenally incredible a machine the 2600 is. I would have NEVER thought a DK of this quality would be possible back in the day. I am pretty clueless on game programming, so i though Coleco DK was the best it could get. The power of the 2600 is limitless it seems, the 2600's ability to play improved versions of previous games is amazing. I welcome an improved DK for the 2600. I see 2600 ports very enjoyable to play, in some cases 2600 ports are superior to others IMO. So, thanks for sharing this with us BYTE KNIGHT!

Edited by Rik
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing work!

What type of bank switching is it using?

Regards,

Paulo

Thanks, from both of us. It is batari Basic DPC+ kernel.

Stella reports NTSC* DPC+* (32K)

It should be similar to Space Rocks as that uses DPC+ but Space Rocks is assembly language programmed.

Thanks, from both of us. It is batari Basic DPC+ kernel.

Stella reports NTSC* DPC+* (32K)

It should be similar to Space Rocks as that uses DPC+ but Space Rocks is assembly language programmed.

Oh, I see... That is why it does not work with Javatari.

Javatari does not support DPC+ yet. I simply cannot find enough technical information regarding it to be able to implement support in the emulator.

Do you guys have any info or directions on how I could get technical specifications for the DPC+?

Regards,

Paulo

The DPC+ from what I know was an extension to Pitfall II DPC chip (some unused DPC functions were dropped, and new functions added), and was programmed as emulation in the Harmony cartridge ARM chip by batari and SpiceWare, and possibly other coders.

I believe they added support to Stella.

Maybe search Stella source for "thumb" ? I think thumb is the emulation for the ARM chip?

The DPC+ from what I know was an extension to Pitfall II DPC chip (some unused DPC functions were dropped, and new functions added), and was programmed as emulation in the Harmony cartridge ARM chip by batari and SpiceWare, and possibly other coders.

I believe they added support to Stella.

Maybe search Stella source for "thumb" ? I think thumb is the emulation for the ARM chip?

I see... Thanks.

But I still hope to find some specs of the DPC+ features only, so I could emulate the features themselves in the emulator, and not implement an ARM emulator to emulate the DPC+ :-)

Regards,

Paulo

Great work, Byte Knight, as always.

Any chance some of the sounds/music could be altered? Some of them are very harsh sounding.

Thanks. Anything can be altered before the final release. Which sounds don't you like? I thought iesposta did a great job with them...

But I still hope to find some specs of the DPC+ features only, so I could emulate the features themselves in the emulator, and not implement an ARM emulator to emulate the DPC+ :-)

I'm not sure if there's a formal spec, but emulating the DPC+ interface will only cover a subset of DPC+ games. DPC+ can be extended with custom ARM subroutines. Games that take advantage of this are bB based DPC+ games, and (all of?) SpiceWare's DPC+ games.

In truth, I'm not entirely sure there exists a game that uses just the DPC+ provided functions.

Oh, ok...

Well, this sounds like a borderline to me.

I'm not sure that games with custom ARM code can even be called VCS 2600 games. :-)

That can potentially eliminate the processing power and CPU cycles limits that a normal VCS game has do deal with. Of course other limitations like those from TIA will still be there.

What if someone decides to launch a cartridge with a Core i7 processor inside? :-D

The normal DPC (Pitfall 2) can be considered a "fixed" hardware extension, just like the Supercharger and the other cartridges with more RAM inside, etc. But game code being delivered as ARM code, well...

Of course, its very cool to see those amazing achievements that are possible with ARM code, but I somehow fell its almost like another platform.

But I'm sure that is a very deep and controvert topic, that I do not want to start here! :-)

Thanks for the info!

Paulo