IGNORED

Favorite version of RIVER RAID?

I would guess like many, thinking of ACTIVSION'S RIVER RAID most would have the 2600 version come to mind, it is certainly the version I immediately think of even though I had and loved my ColecoVision back in the day. Like many classic games and as demonstrated in this video (I love this comparison series) it was released on many classic consoles and computers. Now I would guess that generally the only differences would be sound / graphics dependent on each hardware's capability but I still wonder, does anyone else prefer of on any platform other than the 2600? If so what was your favorite and why? You can still chime in if 2600 was your favorite is you have tried it on at least one other platform. Let me know your opinions THANKS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CZO5QnkJ6WI

Atari 2600...simply because I played the hell out of that game as a kid, when all I had was the 2600.

Perhaps I should look into playing the hell out of this on my other systems today??? I'll just tell my wife that I can't go shopping with her because I MUST test out River Raid on my other systems...the fate of humanity depends on this experiment! :D

• Like 1

I’ll admit up front that it’s very difficult for me to be objective here due to my personal gaming pedigree, but I have to say Atari 2600 all the way.

Sure, some of those versions look like good video games, but it’s kind of like cover versions of classic songs—making a version with a more advanced guitar solo or a more pitch-perfect vocalist doesn’t necessarily make the song better.

In some versions, it looks like certain things were changed just for the sake of changing them. I’m sorry, but the fuel tanks in River Raid are rectangular objects that say “F-U-E-L” on alternating colored strips in a vertical orientation—any other representation is incorrect. That’s just how it is.

Besides, you can only tell so much from emulator-generated movies on YouTube. We mustn’t forget the controllers, and I can’t imagine a better stick from those times to use for this game than a CX-40, with its short throw and nicely positioned fire button. Intellivision disk thingy and Coleco Repetitive Strain Injury Nob Phone need not apply.

With that out of the way, I really like the look of that Atari 800 version; I’m going to have to keep an eye out for that one and give it a go.

• Like 1

2600 version - mostly because a stock Atari joystick works the best for this game imho, and it's the original version. I don't have the A8 version although I'm sure that's great, too. C64 version loses a point for load times (unless it came out on cart, in which case that'd be up there as well, but I never personally played a cart version on c64).

I remember the Intellivision version being very fun, and I do like the visual changes, although I haven't played it in ages. For some reason I no longer have that cart. I do like the Inty controller, and I think River Raid would control well with it. Not quite as good as the Atari joystick, but certainly playable.

• Like 1

2600 version - mostly because a stock Atari joystick works the best for this game imho, and it's the original version. I don't have the A8 version although I'm sure that's great, too. C64 version loses a point for load times (unless it came out on cart, in which case that'd be up there as well, but I never personally played a cart version on c64).

I remember the Intellivision version being very fun, and I do like the visual changes, although I haven't played it in ages. For some reason I no longer have that cart. I do like the Inty controller, and I think River Raid would control well with it. Not quite as good as the Atari joystick, but certainly playable.

River Raid was released on cart for the C64 as were other key Activision titles like Pitfall! If you look in the cartridge section of this site under Activision, you'll see the list:

http://www.mayhem64.co.uk/main.htm

Edited by English Invader
  • Like 1

Yes the Atari VCS stick makes all the difference. It's still the best controlling version of any of them.

• Like 1