IGNORED

810 drive ID always behaves like drive 1

Arcanis-Will

I was testing an 810 drive yesterday and initially I thought it was broken. I had the slide switches set for drive ID 3 and it was not responding. But I decided to test all drive IDs and I found that the drive always thinks it is drive 1. Using it as drive 1 seems to work ok. I was able to make a boot floppy and save/load some test files.

Has anyone else seen this? If I clean the switches will it fix the problem? Or are there other fixes I should perform like maybe installing new switches?

Try a different 6532. 2 of the IO pins go to the switches.

Might be just dirty contacts on the switches

I just found the 810 Field Service Manual online. Thanks for the tips - the schematic for the switch positions shows they are read by the 6532, and also that one of the valid positions for each switch is open-circuit. So a set of dirty contacts probably manifests as the open position for both switches. It would make sense for the drive's default ID to be 1 in the case of switch failure or stuck open. Since the drive appears to otherwise work, I think it's more likely to be a dirty switch contact. I will try cleaning it and then check the switch operation with a multimeter. Thanks for the suggestions!