IGNORED

Which DOS You use on real hardware?

Sikor

No ankets here, so, please leave answer.

Sugesstions:

1. MyDOS

2. Sparta DOS X

3. X-BIOS

4. DOS 2.64xx (xx means subversion, for example e)

5. DOS 2.5

6. Bibo DOS

7. Other (please, write in comment)

I prefer (use) MyDOS.

Edited by Sikor

DOS 2.0S or DOS 2.0D.

It runs on HD on the PBI, single or double density, 127kbs on SIO with a patched OS and fast CPU clock, and, we have commented source listings for both DOS and DUP.

I don't have any files larger that 180K, but if I did (?), I would use MyDOS 4.5.

Bob

Well,

I am using the following DOS versions on the real A8:

1) almost always: Turbo-DOS XL/XE V.2.1 (only the normal version by Reitershan without any speeders)

2) very often: DOS 2.5 by Atari (patched version, supports up to 256k Ramdisk)

3) from time to time: XDOS 2.4x, MyDOS 4.5x

4) very rarely: Bewe-DOS 1.3 but only a) when a program requires SDFS or b) to convert files from SDFS into D2FS; SDFS = Sparta DOS File System, D2FS = DOS II File System

SuperDOS looks quite nice, but it has a very high memlo and it is getting on my nerves since it always replies with "Type "Y" to lock/unlock/delete/format/write/... " Even when you use "/N" after a wildcard (e.g. D-delete files, *.COM/N), SuperDOS queries for the first file and waits for you to press the Y key (it only queries for the first file and all others are deleted without query then, but this is still annoying). With DOS XE you will see the same behaviour, almost everything you do is responded with "Press START to continue, or press SELECT to abort"...

Reminds me of MS-DOS or old Windows versions "Do you want to format drive A:/B:/C:/...?" and then "Warning, formatting drive A:/B:/C:/... will erase all data on it, do you want to continue? Y/N?", followed by "Are you sure ? Y/N?" and I always thought, hey how about some more stupid questions, like "Are you really sure? Y/N?" and "Are you really, really sure ? Y/N ?" and then "How can you be so sure ?" and finally "Give me a percentage of how sure you are wanting to format that disk (0-100) ?" You then type in 99,9% and the program responds with "Formatting aborted, user was not 100% sure."

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

SDX (there are other DOSes?)

As long as SDX can not run chaos Music composer i Will not use SDX as my primary dos. And I am also wondering whether SDX will run TurboBasic. Never tested. Had more incompatibilities in the past with SDX.

SDX is powerful, but I always have the feeling that it is a huge and powerful thing on it's own. I must say in that light XDOS is more my thing. That's a very light DOS.

Usually SDX from IDE+2, SIDE or U1Meg.

Sometimes if dicking around, DOS 2.5.

If just playing games then whatever's easiest to get the game going, which in most cases isn't a DOS.

Rarely do dev work any more on real hardware, in fact not even on emulation much. Just use editor/PC tools then run on emulation, test on real machine periodically.

• Like 1