IGNORED

Which DOS do you use on real hardware (Poll)?

MrFish

Which DOS do you use on real Hardware?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Select your DOS

• BiboDOS
    • BW-DOS
    • Com-DOS
    • DOS 2.0S
    • DOS 2.5
    • DOS 4.0
    • DOS II+
    • DOS XL/XE
    • Happy DOS II+
    • InstaDOS
    • K-DOS
    • Mach DOS
    • MicroDOS
    • MyDOS
    • MyPicoDOS
    • OSS A+
    • Real.DOS
    • SmartDOS
    • SpartaDOS (Disk Based)
    • SpartaDOS X
    • SuperDOS
    • Top-DOS
    • Turbo DOS XE
    • XDOS
    • Other...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I have to admit, I am one of the DOS XL users. It was my first DOS, got it with my Indus GT. I still like it, and I find it to be somewhat more compatible than other more advanced DOS's. I really like the new versions of SpartaDOS X (thoroughly impressed and awed by what those guys are doing with it), but, I have trouble getting the Atari Macro Assembler and its editor to work correctly with it. I also used to use AMAC when I was younger, and feel nostalgic for both it and DOS XL.

• 1 year later...

I'd like to see if there are any others out there who haven't seen or voted in this poll.

I'm also interested in hearing from anyone who voted for a DOS other than: Atari DOS, MyDOS, MyPicoDOS, or SpartaDOS / SpartaDOS X, as to what you find useful about your chosen DOS that compels you to use it over these other more popular DOS brand names. I already know some of the answers, but there are quite a few DOS versions here that I'm not familiar with too. I appreciate any comments in this regard.

• Like 1

How did I miss this before? I prefered OS/A+ in the day and just never upgraded. I liked its smaller footprint and its CP/Mness. Though it was painful that COPY was an external command.

I've learned a little about OS/A+ and DOS XL for the first time recently, by way of adding entries for them both on my website, and processing an improved version of the manual for DOS XL. I also like the idea of them having a relatively small footprint -- although more so the case with v2.1 and DOS XL than v4.1, IIRC. It's definitely something to consider, although maybe more so back in the day. I wasn't aware of the relation to CP/M, but indeed they mention it in the manual -- as I just read.

Edited by MrFish

Rarely use anything else than Sparta-Dos 3.3 so that's what I did choose.

There are a few occasions I use another DOS but if I had to take those into account I had to choose all of them, like Bibo-DOS (ease of use, loaded from Speedy ROM), Turbo-DOS (ease of use from Super Speedy ROM), Magnus Cruncher (more or less requires MyDOS), DOS 2.5 (testing code for compatibility), X-DOS or Super-DOS (as a high speed, and double density, DOS 2.5 replacement), etc...

Like many (most?) average consumers/computer nerd kids in the 80's, I used Atari DOS 2.0S or 2.5 for almost everything except the pirated crack disks that floated around.

More recently, since getting a U1MB and SIDE2 cart, I have been a convert to SpartaDOS X. I can't imagine anything else at this point except for special purposes, and then it's usually SpartaDOS 3.something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Started with 2.0S but then upgraded to DOS XL in the 80s which felt a lot more "professional" with commands rather than a menu, all on an 800. Nowadays running XDOS on the Kids 130XE because DOS XL doesn't work for Turbo BASIC XL. Planning to use SDX once the Incognito is up and running and the new SDX carts have arrived.

Started with Dos 3.0, then moved to SpartaDos 3 when I installed a US Doubler. I then added MyDOS to the mix.

Today, it's SDX a majority of the time, and then MyDOS for those apps that don't work under SDX (like when my daughter wants to use AtariArtist).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello Montezuma

No, but I bought a car alarm years before I had a car. ( I was a trainee in a car garage somewhere in the early 90's when this car audio shop owner came by to demonstrate a new car alarm. Of course, being the gadget freak I am, I needed this alarm badly. So I imported it myself. Bought my first car (the one I still drive) in the second half of the 00's. Still haven't installed it, as I first want to add remote control to my central door locking. Which I want to install the way Volvo would have done it, if they would have done it the way I think they should/would have done it.)

I had MyDOS before I had a disk drive, because it came on the disks that came with Alpha Systems books on copy protection.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

Well I use SDX now... and I owned it since day one. Bought it as soon as I heard of it, but I mostly stuck for SpartaDOS 3.2D. Various reasons, but it was easy to load onto my Multi I/o so that it booted fast. I think some stuff didn't work with SDX back in the day (BBS Express 2.0 comes to mind).

I loved SDX, but I just used 3.2 for years... and with the updates and tools added it was awesome. I mostly used SDX to get higher speed out of my Indus GT's. The part of SDX that kind of sucked for me was using SDX and the R-Time8 at the same time seemed ridiculous on my 800XL (on the 130XE with the MIO expander it was fine). Too bad SDX didnt have a clock... that would have killed.

But hey there really is nothing that beats SpartaDOS. I know I'll get hate from the MyDOS users, but this DOS just knocked it out of the park for me.

I hated having to boot into anything else...

• Like 3

I had a floppy disk Turbo Basic XL 1.5 before I had a 1050 ;) I had Turbo Basic on TAPE (SAG Tape 16 IIRC) and I bought it together with the excellent Turbo Basic book written by Wil Braakman. That book included also a floppy disk; which was (together with the awful loading time of the tape) for me a good motivation to beg my parents for a diskdrive, which I could not afford when I was 12 years old.

On Topic:

I really start to appreciate SDX more and more. It has some really excellent features which other DOS do lack. The most appreciated feature is the auto-save facility in cart use. When I am using Mac/65 and I exit to DOS the source is auto-saved in CAR.SAV file. I really like that.

I also use SDX for running The Last Word. This more than awesome wordprocessor does not run on SD 3.2 or 3.3 ...

But I keep using my a8 also for personal nostalgia reasons, and I have been using SpartaDos 3.2 and 3.3 for ages so I do not want to part with that, since it is what I'm used to. It matches with my habits and my nostalgia feel. The same for Dos 2.5

It's not completely true, since I also started using XDOS by Stefan Dorndorf. It is an excellent substitute of Dos 2.5 and has some very cool features.

Two last things:

What I dislike on SDX is the fact that it is actually a cart system. Yes it is intelligent and yes the SDX can be switched off with commands and all that. But still... I have to be aware of that. On a8: I play games, I watch demo's, I code in assembler and in (turbo)basic, I write papers and short stories, I compose music, and I do my financial administration. SDX does a lot of these tasks very well, but not all; and that keeping track of the SDX Cart state is annoying for me.

I find it very cool though that the SDX project is so alive and is improving all the time. It is a fabulous and powerful package.

My personal conclusion

I can not pick one dos that does it all. So I keep using different DOS's together.

• Like 2

No, but I bought a car alarm years before I had a car.

Actually, I had.

I was laughing, but this actually happens to me (from time to time) as well.

The reason that Retro Computing became my hobby falls into the same category ;)

When I was a kid and could not afford a home computer, I still could afford computer books (hoping to use one day the acquired knowledge in practice).

Some years ago I re-discovered such a book and that's how it started.

My 1050 drive came with Atari DOS III which I used for about a year, but then changed to Atari DOS 2.5 as nobody else used it. Also, 2.5 enhanced density disks were the standard in the local scene.

Later, I got a small AUTORUN.SYS that could replace DUP.SYS for most of the everyday XIO requirements keeping our BASIC programs in memory whithout a ramdisk in a standard 800XL, but I don't know it's name or author, and I don't remember how I got it. The AUTORUN.SYS file has 793 bytes (7 single density sectors)... Do someone know it's name?

post-20192-0-31859100-1458575191_thumb.png

I'm still using this on real hardware, except when I use TurboBASIC XL, which includes DIR, RENAME...

I was laughing, but this actually happens to me (from time to time) as well.

The reason that Retro Computing became my hobby falls into the same category ;)

When I was a kid and could not afford a home computer, I still could afford computer books (hoping to use one day the acquired knowledge in practice).

Some years ago I re-discovered such a book and that's how it started.

Well INDEED.... I had this book:

easyguide600800blackadar.jpg

( I Had it in Dutch btw). and there was a very good chapter about using DOS, Disks and Diskdrive. I kept reading it, and even before I had used a diskdrive before, I was already an "expert" in it lol.

Great time!

• Like 1

Yes it is intelligent and yes the SDX can be switched off with commands and all that. But still... I have to be aware of that. (...) keeping track of the SDX Cart state is annoying for me.

I would like to learn a practical, everyday example of these troubles. I.e. when it needs you to keep the track of its state, that is the main question. Perhaps something can still be improved in this respect.

As for buying stuff related to computers before computers themselves, I can confirm. I have bought a ZX Spectrum guide (that was the actual title of the book, of course in Polish) before having any computer at all. But this has not resulted in buying ZX Spectrum afterwards. I still have the book however and it was of great help while I was developing the ZX Spectrum emulator for 65C816 accelerators.

Edited by drac030
  • Like 2

As for buying stuff related to computers before computers themselves, I can confirm. I have bought a ZX Spectrum guide (that was the actual title of the book, of course in Polish) before having any computer at all.

I can't believe it. You also had "Przewodnik po ZX Spectrum", like me :)

PrzewodnikPoZXSpectrum.jpg