IGNORED

Which DOS do you use on real hardware (Poll)?

MrFish

Which DOS do you use on real Hardware?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Select your DOS

• BiboDOS
    • BW-DOS
    • Com-DOS
    • DOS 2.0S
    • DOS 2.5
    • DOS 4.0
    • DOS II+
    • DOS XL/XE
    • Happy DOS II+
    • InstaDOS
    • K-DOS
    • Mach DOS
    • MicroDOS
    • MyDOS
    • MyPicoDOS
    • OSS A+
    • Real.DOS
    • SmartDOS
    • SpartaDOS (Disk Based)
    • SpartaDOS X
    • SuperDOS
    • Top-DOS
    • Turbo DOS XE
    • XDOS
    • Other...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I would like to learn a practical, everyday example of these troubles. I.e. when it needs you to keep the track of its state, that is the main question. Perhaps something can still be improved in this respect.

I find myself switching SDX on and off 'all the time' ... so it is quite easy to make a list of circumstances where I have to do that. I'll make that list. Perhaps I am doing things wrong, so I'll have to learn... or indeed perhaps there are things to improve. I'll come back to you soon (through e-mail)

Thanks!

Marius

My experience was just the opposite. Rather than getting interested or acquiring things before getting a computer, I had my Atari for one full year before doing anything related to programming, productivity, or disk operating systems (or even cassettes, in spite of having a 410 at hand). For the first year it was only used as a game machine with cartridges; and what an awesome game machine it was (is)!

• Like 1

@Montezuma: that is exactly it, this very book. I bought it just because I was somewhat interested in computers (and the ZX Spectrum released 4 years before was still an incredible and exciting novelty), and because I spotted it in the bookstore. Of course studied it later and had occasions to verify it practically, because my school had Timexes 2048 (ZX Spectrum 48k clones, as you certainly know).

I think there was also some more general reason, just imagine an ordinary city with just *one* bookstore and nothing in it besides voluminous publications concerning cultivation of potatoes and sugar beets ... jeez, so what else I had to buy when THIS book appeared on the shelves? :)

@ProWizard: yes, excellent idea, such a list will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by drac030

• 2 months later...

I plan to move to sdx but as yet cannot use fdisk as it requires 128k,. So dos 2.5 is my default

I assume since you want to run FDISK that you have one of the hard drive options for your A8? Tell me what size your CF, SD or whatever is , how you want it partitioned, and I can make an image file to send you. Then on your PC you can write the image to the CF/SD.

• 6 months later...

Since this old topic has returned, I figure I might as well say what DOS's I use today. I probably voted for SpartaDOS in this poll years ago, but if there was more than one choice (I can't tell anymore as it just says I already voted) I probably would have selected MyDOS or SuperDOS as an alternate back then.

Today, I'm sticking with the two main DOS's, shown by the poll, SpartaDOS X and MyDOS. I Have the MyIDE 2, which is made for MyDOS under it's MyBIOS, but FJC and others (SpartaDOS project?) have made the tools to use MyIDE 2 with SpartaDOS X also now, essentially making the MyIDE 2 work like a SiDE 2. So I have a CF card for both, since there are certain apps and desktops that work with one or the other DOS, but not both. So depending on what I want to do on my Atari, I either Boot with MyBIOS and MyDOS or with an OS of my choice on my 32-in-1 OS and SpartaDOS X. If I could have everything working with either DOS, then I would be 100% a SparatDOS X user for all it's power.

I have been meaning for years to look into Atari DOS 4.0 seriously, from the little I know, it seems powerful and user-friendly and might have become the standard for all XL/XE's had it ever been officially released. But switching to it today would depend on compatibility, and with everything being basically DOS 2.5/MyDOS or SpartaDOS compatible, who knows. Also, if 4.0 is HD and large capacity ready or not...probably not.

Edited by Gunstar

I probably voted for SpartaDOS in this poll years ago, but if there was more than one choice (I can't tell anymore as it just says I already voted) I probably would have selected MyDOS or SuperDOS as an alternate back then.

It actually puts a blue star next to whatever you voted for on any poll.

Also, if 4.0 is HD and large capacity ready or not...probably not.

Nope, DOS 4 does not have the "HD ready" logo... ;-)

Afaik, max. floppydisk size for DOS 4 is DSDD or 360kbytes, no Ramdisk support, no batchfile support, no DOS II compatibility, unusual sector-management (allocation unit = 6 sectors, 768 bytes in SD and ED, 1536 bytes in DD), no subdirs, no large/HD partitions, no date, no time, etc. In other words: It is a waste of time, just like DOS 3.

Google translate:

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=de&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.de&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/Format_AtariDOS_4&usg=ALkJrhjbby2ncOJvwPVzZN1CNfJ4EoUk9Q

Nope, DOS 4 does not have the "HD ready" logo... ;-)

Afaik, max. floppydisk size for DOS 4 is DSDD or 360kbytes, no Ramdisk support, no batchfile support, no DOS II compatibility, unusual sector-management (allocation unit = 6 sectors, 768 bytes in SD and ED, 1536 bytes in DD), no subdirs, no large/HD partitions, no date, no time, etc. In other words: It is a waste of time, just like DOS 3.

Google translate:

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=de&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.de&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/Format_AtariDOS_4&usg=ALkJrhjbby2ncOJvwPVzZN1CNfJ4EoUk9Q

I'm just curious how do you setup DOS4 to format a disk in 360k?

That mobile theme seems to lack a 'back to' button at the bottom of the page. On my iPhone, I must scroll completely back to the top of page in order to hit that button.

If I hit the browser 'back' arrow, I think it screws up the 'new post' ^T looking things.

Edit: sorry, off topic.

Edited by Kyle22

I have been back into the "scene" for just under a year now.

I USE sdx now.. and I am learning more and I love it.

But as a REAL HARDWARE user only - I dont use any emulator on a regular basis. I find it interesting when buying lots of hardware etc.. the nostalgia of going through the disks you usually get with all the kit. There is such a mish mash of stuff - a lot of the multi game disk boot utilities but also a lot of doses.

Thanks for the poll though.. as there are doses on there I was not aware of, and it will give me something else to use my hobby for. :)

James