IGNORED

WTB - Atari Flashback 2 mod installation

chupathingy

Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong sub-forum.

I've got a Flashback 2 that I want a cart slot on. Ideally I'd like the configuration where it has the microswitch that grounds out when a cartridge is inserted. It doesn't have to be pretty or anything, just needs to get the job done.

I've taken my 2600 to a few live shows I've played, but it's too much of a hassle to get set up, I need to drag along a huge CRT tv and VCR, and the sound isn't that good. I figure the Flashback would be a good alternative, seeing as it emulates 2600 hardware and has a direct audio out, allowing me to plug it directly into a mixer board.

What's the going rate on a job like that?

What do you need a VCR for? There are much simpler ways to hook up an Atari, with a cleaner signal:

https://atariage.com/howto/connect.html

Rather than paying someone to do a mod, I would suggest that you just get yourself an F-Type adapter (works on any TV with coaxial, so you shouldn't need to pack one of those either), no more than a couple bucks at Radio Shack or wherever.

Edit: Didn't notice the bit about the mixing board! But in all honesty, how clear to the beeps and boops need to be?

Edited by MagitekAngel

What do you need a VCR for? There are much simpler ways to hook up an Atari, with a cleaner signal:

https://atariage.com/howto/connect.html

Rather than paying someone to do a mod, I would suggest that you just get yourself an F-Type adapter (works on any TV with coaxial, so you shouldn't need to pack one of those either), no more than a couple bucks at Radio Shack or wherever.

I've got the adapter and everything, I guess I forgot to mention that I hate taking my only original 2600 on the road with me. Having the smaller unit would be a bit more easy to transport and less prone to breaking down.

The reason I took the TV as well as the VCR was so I could get an audio signal with the VCR, bypassing the high pitched whine that comes out of the TV. I'd use just the VCR but Synthcart has a nifty light show mode that I make heavy use of.

Plus I just think they look cool.

I'd do it myself but my hands are far too shaky and I still haven't progressed past headphone repair.

Edit - I'm a horrendous perfectionist when it comes to audio. I finished material for a new album about a year ago but I'm still mastering and getting things just perfect. The way I was running the 2600 through the VCR got the job done, but cut down a whole heck of a lot of treble. I had to boost it on the mixer and it ended up sounding like crap.

This is why I haven't used any real hardware in my studio recordings. (Except for the Amiga, but that was just for the speech synthesizer.)

Edited by chupathingy

I'm not aware of anyone offering to do these right now. There is a group called Electronic Sentimentalities that do custom AV mods (and sell kits). They may do this for you, but I know they would also be happy to mod your 2600.

http://electronicsentimentalities.com/

AtariAge user "Yurkie" may also be able to help in this area.

I'm not aware of anyone offering to do these right now. There is a group called Electronic Sentimentalities that do custom AV mods (and sell kits). They may do this for you, but I know they would also be happy to mod your 2600.

http://electronicsentimentalities.com/

AtariAge user "Yurkie" may also be able to help in this area.

Thanks a million! I'll be sure to check that out.