IGNORED

No video output from C64

goldenegg

I just received a C64 from a member here. I hooked it up and am not getting any video from it. I've tried both RF and composite. I have another C64 that works fine, with the exact same cables.

He insists the system is working and says :

I didn't test the RF, but I did test the three way composite on a Commodore 1701monitor before shipping. It does indeed work. Try again, try different cables try blowing into the connectors, troubleshoot the problem. It's not broken.

I used a can of compressed air to clean the connectors, but that didn't make any difference.

Anyone have any thoughts? I can't think of anything I could possibly be doing wrong.

Are you using the known good power supply with the new C64? Otherwise you might have received a bad PSU that outputs the voltage required to lit the LED but nothing else. Also, I think in some cases the LED might go on even if the internal fuse is broken, it is worth checking.

By the way, is it an old style breadbox or a flat C64C? The older breadboxes are very prone to broken PLA chips (memory addressing) and it is fully possible that it booted when the seller packaged it, and then this chip has gone bad when you received it. One way to test it is to power on/off/on rapidly for a few seconds and leave it on. Sometimes the PLA comes to life and you get a display. Notice that newer C64C generally don't have this problem.

Edited by carlsson

You could try on the monitor, blind type to get some sound going:

POKE 54296,15
POKE 54273,70
POKE 54277,0 : POKE 54278,255
POKE 54276,33

Should give a constant med/high pitched sawtooth waveform.

Thanks. I'll give that a try on the weekend. I won't have a chance to use the system again until Saturday.

Are you using the known good power supply with the new C64? Otherwise you might have received a bad PSU that outputs the voltage required to lit the LED but nothing else. Also, I think in some cases the LED might go on even if the internal fuse is broken, it is worth checking.

By the way, is it an old style breadbox or a flat C64C? The older breadboxes are very prone to broken PLA chips (memory addressing) and it is fully possible that it booted when the seller packaged it, and then this chip has gone bad when you received it. One way to test it is to power on/off/on rapidly for a few seconds and leave it on. Sometimes the PLA comes to life and you get a display. Notice that newer C64C generally don't have this problem.

I'm pretty sure I used the power supply from the system that works, but now I'm second guessing myself. I'll make sure to try that when I test the system again.

It is the breadbox style, so I'll also try your recommendations to let the system warm up a bit. If the PLA chips have gone bad, can replacements be purchased?

I had a little bit of free time this afternoon, so I ran some more tests.

1 - I confirmed the system I received doesn't have socketed chips. Everything is soldered to the board, so nothing would have come loose.

2 - I made sure to use the power supply from the known working system and it didn't fix the issue. Still not getting any video output.

3 - I got hold of a 1541 drive and tried to blind load a disk. Nothing happens after entering the load command

4 - I used Rybags' code to try and produce sound, but nothing happened

Seems to me that this system is dead in the water. Anything else I could try?