IGNORED

Getting your CLASSIC COMPUTER on the Internet BBS's

Omega-TI

I recently obtained a little gadget that some of you may or may not know about, it's called a Lantronix UDS-10. It can get your old Classic Computer on the Internet. It acts like a modem, but it handles all the telnet protocols internally. One end hooks up to your classic computers RS-232, the other end uses an Ethernet cable and plugs into your router.

I was amazed to find "GOBS" of active BBS's on the Internet.

In my gallery << HERE >> you can see some images of the unit and a screen shot of the TI connected to one of the BBS's.

<< HERE >> Is the eBay search string.

Sometimes you might have to wait a week or two to find a good, but you should be able to get one under $30.00 (shipping included) if you are patient.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

--- Ω --- wrote:

> I recently obtained a little gadget that some of you may or may not know about, it's called a Lantronix UDS-10. It can get your old Classic Computer on the Internet. It acts

> like a modem, but it handles all the telnet protocols internally. One end hooks up to your classic computers RS-232, the other end uses an Ethernet cable and plugs

> into your router.

Heh, I still use a modem from the Commodore 128, run Desterm 2.01, go to my dial-up shell account, and telnet into Internet BBS's in that manner.

Back from Europe,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://videocam.net.au/fcug

July 26-27 Commodore Vegas Expo v10 -

http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

Another option that I'm using is a Livingston Portmaster terminal server. I picked up a 32 port awhile back on eBay, and currently use on port with my 800XL and 850 interface to connect to BBSes and use IRC. By using a terminal server, I can connect several of my older systems up to it. Bonus points for allowing me to connect my VT420 terminals up. :-)

Requires a little more work for the set up, and for some reason I have to reset the port my XL is on a lot, but I'm sure that's just some configuration issue I need to figure out.

Another option that I'm using is a Livingston Portmaster terminal server. I picked up a 32 port awhile back on eBay, and currently use on port with my 800XL and 850 interface to connect to BBSes and use IRC. By using a terminal server, I can connect several of my older systems up to it. Bonus points for allowing me to connect my VT420 terminals up. :-)

Requires a little more work for the set up, and for some reason I have to reset the port my XL is on a lot, but I'm sure that's just some configuration issue I need to figure out.

I've never heard of the Livingston Portmaster before. I'll search online and check it out. The beauty of the Lantronix Device, it'll work with ANYTHING, even the old data terminals.

• 1 month later...

For those that are still waiting for the right time to get a Lantronic UDS-10 Box, the buying just got even better...

Lot of 5 Lantronix Universal Device Server Lan to Serial UDS 10 UDS-10 UDS10

A lot of 5 Units, for $24.99. plus $10.00 shipping in the USA

These UDS-10, were designed to make RS-232 Serial Lines go places that it would be hard to place Serial Cables.

Theoretically, an Apple ][ user could run ADTPro, or a Tandy CoCo user run DriveWire across Ethernet, by using a Box on the Apple ][ Serial Card or Tandy CoCo and one at the PC end..

MarkO

Edited by MarkO

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone provide me with a step-by-step of how to use a Lantronix box. Say -- for example -- I wanted to connect to a BBS using an Amiga. What would I do?

I haven't spent the time to set mine up, yet, but the way the boxes generally work is that you configure them with an IP Address and Routing Information, then your Serial Device knows nothing about the TCP/IP part, that provides the Transport from your location to the BBS or Host..

Here is more information on setting this up...

What is the Lantronix UDS-10 and what can it do for me?

MarkO

• Like 1

Just ordered one from eBay. Buyer accepted my offer of $24 shipped. Comes with "Power Supply, Lantronix serial cable (DB25 male to DB9 Female), and Lantronix software." Can't wait for this to come!

For a complete package, that sounds like a Good Deal...

I only received the UDS-10 Units..

I am using a Power Supply from a Toshiba Laptop, and the UDS-10 Manuals and Firmware are available here.

MarkO

For a complete package, that sounds like a Good Deal...

I only received the UDS-10 Units..

I am using a Power Supply from a Toshiba Laptop, and the UDS-10 Manuals and Firmware are available here.

MarkO

Yeah, it's suppose to come tomorrow, he even shipped it 2 Day Priority. I'll have to use it with my Atari ST, although I have to order an Ultrasatan to really get use out of it. Thanks for the link!

that is a pretty good deal, I got mine with box only (and I think its got some issues as its not quite stable) for 20 bucks, shipped I snagged a DB25 to DE 9 adapter from work and I have piles of supplies and serial cables at home so it seemed like a good deal given the typical ebay price for them

I have used it but not on a retro puter, and its weirdness could just be my ethernet cable turned crossover serial cable echoing at super fast modern speeds, the apple mac SE I got it for maxes out at 19200, I was running it on the pc 115200 and faster heh

I have used it but not on a retro puter, and its weirdness could just be my ethernet cable turned crossover serial cable echoing at super fast modern speeds, the apple mac SE I got it for maxes out at 19200, I was running it on the pc 115200 and faster heh

Be thankful you are not running on an older ClassicTI-99/4A. With a program called Telco I pretty much max out at 4800 baud. While the TI can do much faster, somehow the program 'get's in the way'.

heh yea I am thankful even on my apple IIc with some state of the art driver magic I can bang 115200

stock 9600 is a chore thanks to a firmware bug in the UART handling, default is 300 baud

luckily the II's super serial card's firmware has a terminal mode so your just send off a couple wonky keyboard commands and the system turns dumb

Edited by Osgeld