IGNORED

600XL (composite modded) on a TV

iast

Hello. Today I got in a 600XL I won on ebay. The previous owner had modded the console by removing the RF-out socket and replacing it with a 3.5mm phono jack wired for composite video & mono audio. I tested it out on two different CRT TVs and while it works/plays fine and all, I noticed this with the picture on both TVs:

http://imgur.com/9x6tCLd

Basically, the letters aren't as solid as I was expecting them to be. They have some weird stratification or ghosting effect to them. Now, on his ebay listing, the seller shows it hooked up to a LCD monitor and everything looks much more solid/filled-in:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-600XL-Computer-with-64K-Ram-and-Composite-Video-/131119798001?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=oFvxcWnvVQHVXOVLdK%252BKFvmujAI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

So what I'm wondering is if this issue I'm getting is due to playing on a CRT television or if there might be something else going on. Thanks.

Alright, on a suggestion I tweaked with the potentiometer under the computer. I can get the screen looking a bit crisper doing that, but it only really gets that way if I turn it enough to make the picture black & white. At this point I'm not sure what to do. The seller did offer to refund me for it though which is nice, but I'd like to explore my options before resorting to that.

I guess it's NTSC, PAL has the monitor port.

S-Video is the best solution, but no idea if there's a project around to add the required circuit to the 600XL.

Chances are someone performed a video mod on the machine in addition to removing the RF modulator, but the output should be a lot better than that.

After deciding to keep this, I opened it up to have a closer look. As it turns out, the RF modulator is still inside, or at least the case for it is there.

As you can see in the pictures below (link goes to album), there's three wires coming from the back of the modulator casing. Two are soldered to the PCB right behind it and a longer third one is soldered to the top lead of a resistor. You can also see in the pics the phono jack that sits where the RF jack used to be.

http://imgur.com/a/DxAFp

Edited by iast

Hmm, alright. So what would be the best way of proceeding about correcting this? I haven't done much mod work myself before but the 600XL otherwise is in nice shape and I'd hate to get rid of it just because someone's mod wasn't attuned right.