IGNORED

KC Munchkin Monster Maze (Atari 2600)

Mr SQL

I have been playing this a lot recently and have had a lot of fun with the game. My favorite part of the game is the shifting walls, as it adds a fun randomness to the game that keeps it from being too easy/predictable. I have been playing it in Z26 without issue as I do not have a Starpath Supercharger.

Edited by pacpix
  • Like 1

I have been playing this a lot recently and have had a lot of fun with the game. My favorite part of the game is the shifting walls, as it adds a fun randomness to the game that keeps it from being too easy/predictable. I have been playing it in Z26 without issue as I do not have a Starpath Supercharger.

Awesome description pacpix! :)

I will be sending the Harmony backup ROM and a .wav recording to everyone who already has the original! you can put the .wav recording on the B side, or just after or in place of the original if you wish :)

How are others copying the .wav file from your computer to a cassette tape?

• Like 1

How are others copying the .wav file from your computer to a cassette tape?

Great question toymailman! :)

Here are are the steps I use:

1. Connect a standard audio cable from the line-out or headphone jack on your computer or MP3 player to the microphone jack on the cassette recorder (the recorder has a mono jack but it will line up fine).

2. If you wish to preseve RC1 forward the tape a bit until the end of the RC1 recordings (there are three copies on the tape)

3. Press play and record on tape.

4. play the .wav file:

Your equalizer should be off or have all settings set to neutral and the output volume should be halfway (a little higher is fine too). Whatever recording volume you were able to load RC1 with is fine on your tape recorder, you don't have to adjust it.

There are more precise settings that can be used, but I use 300 baud encoding which takes longer to load (part of the fun! :) ) than the 1200 baud used on some of the game compilations like the Stella gets a new Brain CD, but is more forgiving and reliable for loading.

Box for KC Moster Maze.

AtariAge Profile ==>Marc Oberhäuser

Drop him a PM. Tell him Supercharger version.

Box1.jpg Box2.jpg

Box only. No docs.

I ordered this. It is very nice. And a box for Sinistar that I have wanted for a while. They come with cart holder cardboard slide ins and the cassette even fits nice even though it is too tall, if you don't bend the top cardboard piece of the cart holder.

14 Euro per box, up to 8 boxes can ship to US for 4 Euro.

• 4 weeks later...

That is very cool they mentioned and showed your homebrew game!

Very thorough and complete down to the mention of the unreleased Decathalon-style game.

I wonder why it was not mentioned that the Supercharger can play most 2K and 4K games, and the 2K and 4K ones it can't play have been patched to work? The other guy has to know this fact as he has collected the entire Supercharger collection.

That is very cool they mentioned and showed your homebrew game!

Very thorough and complete down to the mention of the unreleased Decathalon-style game.

I wonder why it was not mentioned that the Supercharger can play most 2K and 4K games, and the 2K and 4K ones it can't play have been patched to work? The other guy has to know this fact as he has collected the entire Supercharger collection.

Yes the review of the graphics and the gameplay was pretty awesome! :) Fantastic they shot the footage of KC from a real Atari too; the artifact colours for the 3d maze walls showed up really well! :)

I think they covered the 2k and 4k games via the Stella gets a new Brain CD.

I have had a copy of KC Monster Maze for a little while now and I really enjoy the game. The gameplay is fast and the graphics are nice to look at. I recently just got a "new" CRT TV and tried this game out on it to see how it was meant to be played and was blown away by the subtle effects that are lost on an led/lcd monitor. This is one of those games where it completely hooks you and you keep saying, "I'm going to give it one more try."

If you haven't picked this game up for your collection, I completely recommend it. You will not be sorry that you did. I'm also championing for a sequel to this. Perhaps it could add elements of KC's Krazy Chase?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any option to just donate a small amount to the cause and recieve the Harmony ROM? I do not own a supercharger and I'm sure several other members don't either. I only have one working dual cassette deck in our house which I rarely use to backup old tapes. Either way, without a supercharger, the cassette tape or *.wav file is useless to me.

***Please note I'm not asking for free ROMs. I respect the developer's wishes and would never do that. However, I would be willing to make a small donation to the developer in exchange for a ROM that I can play on my Harmony cart as the game looks intriguing. I hope this makes sense.

This guy keeps going on and on about "artifact colours", without ever explaining WTF he's talking about. The only time I've ever heard this term used is in relation to the colors you get on an A8 when running in 320H mode, caused by the horizontal pixel frequency confusing the TV into mistaking luma signal for chroma signal. Since the 2600 can't do 320H resolution, he must be misusing the term to describe something else. But what? He isn't saying.

Between this, the insistence that it only manifests its magical never-before-seen special effects on a particular model of 2600 hooked to a specific type of TV, and the weird YouTube videos that look like they're filmed through a lens, this entire thing comes across as an elaborate piss-take.

Edited by ZylonBane
  • Like 1

"Artifact Colors" in this case is technically chroma bleed.

"The chroma is not well-filtered, so it will tend to bleed into the luma when using composite or RF."

This makes a different color between certain light and dark areas, which the programmer refers to as "3D walls."

Certain good Atari 2600's with a clean RF and an adjusted CRT will not show this effect.

Hope that helps.

This guy keeps going on and on about "artifact colours", without ever explaining WTF he's talking about. The only time I've ever heard this term used is in relation to the colors you get on an A8 when running in 320H mode, caused by the horizontal pixel frequency confusing the TV into mistaking luma signal for chroma signal. Since the 2600 can't do 320H resolution, he must be misusing the term to describe something else. But what? He isn't saying.

Between this, the insistence that it only manifests its magical never-before-seen special effects on a particular model of 2600 hooked to a specific type of TV, and the weird YouTube videos that look like they're filmed through a lens, this entire thing comes across as an elaborate piss-take.

Zylon,

artifact colours are an illusion pulled straight from the ether; you get your colours for nothing, you get your RAM for free :)

The special effects are real - watch the review by Metal Jesus and the Immortal John Hancock, it's at 12:15 in the SuperCharger video :)

This is exactly the sort of deliberately vague, snake-oil nonsense I'm talking about.

Zylon,

why so negative? The videos and the footage in the review show these effects along with the gameplay! :) There is no snake-oil, artifact colours are old-school 80's technique and only increase the fun!

There is no snake-oil, artifact colours are old-school 80's technique and only increase the fun!

Artifact colors are an old-school 80s technique on computers that put out high-resolution video signals. You're using the term in a way that it has never been commonly used before. So if this is an old-school technique, it must have gone under a different name. So you should have no trouble listing some older games that used it.

Artifact colors are an old-school 80s technique on computers that put out high-resolution video signals. You're using the term in a way that it has never been commonly used before. So if this is an old-school technique, it must have gone under a different name. So you should have no trouble listing some older games that used it.

Zylon,

a Y resolution of 192 is "80's high-res"; KC's virtual world tiles have a high resolution texture that interacts with the NTSC signal to create artifact colours at the vertices of the pattern. On a 4-switch (more chroma leakage) they will show more strongly and bleed onto the characters creating real lighting and shadow effects :)

The game comes with a flyer/magasine ad from the 80's showing some of my Assembly games that used artifact colours back in the day! :)

Okay, I give up, you clearly have no intention of providing a straight or even coherent answer to my very simple question.

Huh? I gave you the technical answers to your question, my artifacting is no different than the techniques you linked in the article.

Here is a screenshot with artifact colours from one of my 80's Video Games:

post-30777-0-33054600-1404433213.jpg

Why do you think this can't be done on the VCS? It has a vertical resolution of 192.