IGNORED

Sexiest old computer?

It depends on how "old".

The Pet looked like it came from the space program... in 2035.

I like the way the Atari 800 looks.

Until the 1200XL blew that away.

Then came the Mindset.

In general, I like the pizza box form factor.. Amiga 1000, Sun workstations.

I do have to admit, while I never had one, the 1200XL IS a sexy looking computer...

Atari_1200XL.jpg

Click on image to REALLY, REALLY enlarge (for that close up view).

This is one of the few machines that I have never got my hands on due to it never receiving a UK release-same story with the 5200. The 1200XL is a work of beauty and I assume that it being an early introduction to the XL lines that it would have the original "qality" keyboard and not that wobbly cost reduced monstrosity that the later XL's had.

There is one on Ebay at the moment and I am considering it but choices have to be made-go on holiday or 1200XL, let the kids go hungry or 1200XL, no choice really-1200XL!

• Like 1

I got a cheap 1200XL the other year, with a partly malfunctioning keyboard. I was not awfully impressed, so I swapped it in a plain deal for an Atari 800, NTSC model as well. Most people probably think I got the short end of the stick, but I find that I appreciate the 800 more than I could find use of the 1200XL.

The 1200xl looks rather dull to me. If seen a lot more good looking machines in this thread. I'm pretty sure a lot of machines posted here are posted because of fond memories, not because of the looks.

And that's totaly understandable.

To me, almost EVERY new computer back then was sexy. When big DOS boxes swept everything else away, I cried a little because it seemed like no one was trying to be innovative anymore (except Apple, Atari and Commodore).

My favorite? Depends on the "era". 1979 was a very different year than 1984 for industrial design. For instance, I think the Atari 800 was extremely sexy. So was the Commodore Plus/4. But I think my favorite 8-bit was the Commodore 64-SX.

16-bit? Atari Mega-STe. 32-bit? NeXT cube.

As far as DOS compatibles, I think the Mindset was the best, then the Gavilan, then the Amstradt PPC-640.

I've always thought the 1200XL was a great looking computer. It's my favorite by far, in terms of styling.

As runner-up, I have to give props to the Apple //c. It's a great design with some nice functional aspects. Too bad the danged handle didn't lock into place, though. Ended up killing my drive BITD because the darned thing kept falling over (because of the way the desk I had back then was configured, I had to move the computer to insert/remove a disk).

Apple2cPlus.jpg

• Like 3

I've always thought the 1200XL was a great looking computer. It's my favorite by far, in terms of styling.

As runner-up, I have to give props to the Apple //c. It's a great design with some nice functional aspects. Too bad the danged handle didn't lock into place, though. Ended up killing my drive BITD because the darned thing kept falling over (because of the way the desk I had back then was configured, I had to move the computer to insert/remove a disk).

Apple2cPlus.jpg

That's a IIc Plus. It looks better than the IIc because of the 3.5" drive. It also has an internal power supply which is nice. I have a couple of those machines.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'd call many machines on the list "sexy". Cool, attractive, neat... yes... but sexy?

That's a IIc Plus. It looks better than the IIc because of the 3.5" drive. It also has an internal power supply which is nice. I have a couple of those machines.

The C is close enough to that image if you get a good looking one, it just has platinum keys and a 5.25 inch disk door flap on the side

The black wedge and its close cousin the white wedge are my favorite PC designs. As classic computers go, the Plus 4 was one of the biggest disappointments ever, but just look at this thing and tell me it's not ready to launch off your desk and take flight. My deepest regret is that they never put the VIC-20 in that awesome case.

I also liked the Atari XE design. Utilitarian, but it had an understated elegance, with those swooping function keys. Frankly, the late 70s designs for consumer electronics are a little too, uh, stone-aged for my tastes, and the XE was a nice upgrade from the dated 400/800.

Radio Shack had that Tandy 100 proto-laptop, originally designed by Kyocera. Looked nice enough, and was an on-the-go favorite until the rise of netbooks and tablets. I also thought their Pocket PCs were, well, not sexy, but certainly cute.

• 1 month later...

After seeing all these great vintage computers, I have to say there are some very interesting and sleek computers of yester-year, though I can't use the word "sexy" as sex never enters my mind when looking at computers. But I still think the Atari 1200XL is the sleekest and most beautiful of all. They still look sleek and modern to my eyes today. Though I don't like the look of the 600/800XL computers nearly as much, even with the same color scheme, they just look "cheap" to me. Second for me is the original Atari 800.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

But I still think the Atari 1200XL is the sleekest and most beautiful of all. They still look sleek and modern to my eyes today. Though I don't like the look of the 600/800XL computers nearly as much, even with the same color scheme, they just look "cheap" to me.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I like the XL styling, but the 1200XL seems in a completely different aesthetic class.