IGNORED

Sexiest old computer?

Yes & No. Does that make any sense?

<< THIS ARTICLE >> will explain it better.

Does the IMSAI have the same functionality as the Altair. Yes.

Were computers that had the same functionality as the IBM PC but implemented in a different way considered clones? Yes.

So how is the IMSAI not a clone?

• 2 weeks later...

For this I choose "sexiest" to be only "look-wise" so I don't care if the computers I post are crap, clones, it's just the design.

First in my heart is the AGAT :

Agat-4_Red.jpg

This computer was build in Soviet Union in the mid 80's and is mostly an Apple II clone. It was rather successfull on this weird, non-concurrential and non-free but highly politized market and was found in many schools.

SMT Goupil G4 :

SMT-Goupil-G4.jpg

All of the Goupil machines have a nice design, but the G4 is very nice with that amost hidden floppy drive and "stacked" style.

Logabax Personna 1600 :

persona1600.jpg

This IBM PC compatible looks so professionnal it's awesome.

A late release in the 8 bits world, the Amstrad 6128Plus, released in 1990 :

amstrad_6128p_1.jpg

A pretty powerful system, but released way too late to gain any success. The lack of sofware for the system will nail his fate.

Bull Micral computer of the early 80's still had that 70's vibe :

1930_micral_mc1c.jpg

And, last but not least, the Polish made AKAT-1, build in the 60's.

logpc.jpg

This sci-fi movie beast is an analog computer, rather than an electronical, programmable one.

It's still a computer, and isn't that a goddam sexy one?

• Like 4

I've been trying to find a photo of a 386SX-16 computer I used to own way back in the 90's. It was not very wide, had rounded corners in the front and purple feet. If I remember right the 3.5" was over the 5.25" drive, both drives were tan/grey in color. It had a little control panel on the right side with lights and a flat reset button. It's been a LONG time ago, but I think it was a Leading Technology or a Leading Edge, I cannot remember. I do remember the lame little 105 meg HD though! I paid $1,200 for it and replaced it six months later! Anyway it was a CUTE little computer.

• Like 1

I've been trying to find a photo of a 386SX-16 computer I used to own way back in the 90's. It was not very wide, had rounded corners in the front and purple feet. If I remember right the 3.5" was over the 5.25" drive, both drives were tan/grey in color. It had a little control panel on the right side with lights and a flat reset button. It's been a LONG time ago, but I think it was a Leading Technology or a Leading Edge, I cannot remember. I do remember the lame little 105 meg HD though! I paid $1,200 for it and replaced it six months later! Anyway it was a CUTE little computer.

I remember those.. I have one somewhere.....

Leading Edge, I believe... I will see if I can locate it, for a Photo Op..

For this I choose "sexiest" to be only "look-wise" so I don't care if the computers I post are crap, clones, it's just the design.

First in my heart is the AGAT :

Agat-4_Red.jpg

logpc.jpg

This sci-fi movie beast is an analog computer, rather than an electronical, programmable one.

WOW! I love these two. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a piece of technology that I find more beautiful then that beast!

• Like 2

WOW! I love these two. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a piece of technology that I find more beautiful then that beast!

I can't lie, the red one is great, and the green one looks like something out of the Jetsons.

I can't lie, the red one is great, and the green one looks like something out of the Jetsons.

Ah yes it is strait out of the Jetsons, thats a perfect description. My GF is ok with my old computers as long as I keep them in my game room and away from her. She loves vintage furniture and knick knacks. I showed her that pic and jokingly told her I had bought it. She told me that one she would even love to have in the living room just as a piece of art.

A late release in the 8 bits world, the Amstrad 6128Plus, released in 1990 :

amstrad_6128p_1.jpg

A pretty powerful system, but released way too late to gain any success. The lack of sofware for the system will nail his fate.

I really like the looks of the Amstrad Plus models. I really wanted a 128 for my collection but most of the ones I've seen don't ship to the US. :(

It was pretty impressive as as far as 8 bits go.

And, last but not least, the Polish made AKAT-1, build in the 60's.

logpc.jpg

That looks like a school desk, and I don't mean just a little.

I think my grade school had desks like that in storage back in the 70s.

I can look for a 6128Plus for you and ship it if you want. It depends on how much you wanna spend. The Plus line is highly sough after, and price for one unit is about 50€ (about 65us$) Shipping to the US without the monitor will probably add 40/50$.

A 6128 not plus is way cheaper, but it doesn't get the same possibilities.

For both, keep in mind that the video output is either monochrome 50htz 625 lines, or RGB. No PAL composite available.

And you're right for the desk, but heh, they had to take the bottom part from somewhere I guess :D

That looks like a school desk, and I don't mean just a little.

I think my grade school had desks like that in storage back in the 70s.

I noticed that it looked like desk also. I had desks just like that in elementary school too. I see those desks at goodwill from time to time. For a moment it crossed my mind that maybe I could reproduce it in someway because I really love the look of that thing. Is there a chance this thing is just some sci fi movie prop made from a school desk, or perhaps a one off prototype made from a school desk? I assume its actually more of a terminal and thats the mainframe behind it that is if it's not a prop.

Edited by Dripfree

Apparently, it's an "analog computer" so it's likely a prototype or a small scale series (and remember that at the time, 40 computer was a BIG production) I guess the display was for graphs and things like that. if it was a terminal there will be a keyboard, not knobs everywhere.

• 1 year later...