IGNORED

7800basic beta, the release thread

RevEng

Downloaded just fine from Edge and Chrome for me - no issues.

Under IE, I received a pop-up that stated: "Your current security settings does not allow this file to be downloaded". So, I performed the following navigation steps:

Tools --> Security Tab --> Select 'Internet Zone' --> Clicked "Custom Level" button.

Scrolled down until I came to the "Downloads" option and clicked on 'Enable':

post-18-0-36756200-1529798799.png

Clicked 'OK'.

Attempted the download again under IE and it downloaded fine, just as it did under Edge and Chrome.

Definitely check as RevEng mentioned anti-virus software blocking the download, or it may be your browser settings.

Thanks can't wait to try 7800 wanna try a castlevania style 2 button game or castle wolfenstein

Two game ideas that would work very well on the 7800, I look forward to seeing what you do. The atarivox would be a good way to get speech into a Castle Wolfenstein-like game.

• Like 2

Two game ideas that would work very well on the 7800, I look forward to seeing what you do. The atarivox would be a good way to get speech into a Castle Wolfenstein-like game.

Thankfully I didn't pull my hair out trying to get MAME up and running but I did it and the reveng's simple.a78 was generated and ran. Now I can get down to the docs and try to get a grasp on how this system goes.

• 1 month later...

"Not sure. I was able to run the "pokey" program from the 7800basic samples, and it seems to detect the pokey fine. Give that a shot. If it doesn't work, but you can get pokey music from other games with a7800, we can move this over to the 7800basic thread."

RevEng, I've tested the POKEY sample and it's just saying it can't detect the chip in MAME/A7800. I noticed I was using a slightly older version of 7800BASIC but I get the same thing with the current version. It works perfectly on hardware via a Mateos 16-in-1 and a Ballblazer ROM works fine in MAME so I'm not sure what's going on. Some sort of configuration problem perhaps?

I did make some slight POKEY changes a while back to fix false detection when Concerto was used without a POKEY plugged in. I'm not sure that's the difference, or even if that bit made it to the public release yet or not.

Does this one work any better for you?

pokey.bas.a78

If not, how are you running it? When I use "a7800 a7800 -cart pokey.bas.a78" the attached rom detects the pokey@450 just fine.

I recreated your map from scratch, and didn't need to embed. I'm thinking this might be an issue with a differing Tiled version. I'm using Tiled 0.14.2. What's your version?

Either way, great that there's a work-around.

I was fiddling around with plotmapfiles this week and getting the same issue with the "*** (64): ERROR, plotmapfile didn't find a palette for palette0".

Was using version 1.0.3.

Didn't do any embeddling and noticed the top portion of the .tmx file was indeed different.

<tileset firstgid="1" source="../gfx/rpgtiles5.tsx"/>
 <tileset firstgid="22" source="../gfx/rpgtiles1.tsx"/>
 <tileset firstgid="27" source="../gfx/rpgtiles2.tsx"/>

... instead of the contents of the .tsx files being included in the .tmx file directly. Additionally, I'm not entirely sure how to enable embedding for the tsx files as in my version it seems to be greyed out.

In version 0.15, I saw this in the tmx format changelog: "The pure XML and Gzip-compressed tile layer data formats were deprecated, since they didn’t have any advantage over other formats. Remaining formats are CSV, base64 and Zlib-compressed layer data."

That's a separate issue perhaps - the default format for saving is CSV now. While you can change it back to XML for now, that might be something to keep an eye on as new versions get released.

As a possible easy way to add compatibility for the above difference, when it sees one of those types of lines in the code segment above it could treat that as a "include" statement for the associated tsx file. The contents of the tsx files appear to be identical to what use to be added in those locations by default. Might be worth testing out. :)

At the very least you'll probably need to make sure it doesn't require embedding. As of 1.0.3, which I have, while technically a checkmark still exists when creating a new tileset file it's been grayed out. I've yet to figure out if there's a way to actually enable it but their manual pages indicate it's not enabled by default because apparently that's more useful. (not having to recompile tilesets for different maps, etc.)

• 4 weeks later...

I have some updates in my private build, which haven't been released... I need to work on the documentation a bit.

There are 2 main updates:

• Different tallsprite modes. This allows you to import all sprite data that's in the png file, even if it's taller than a zone height. With one mode, plotmap will automatically plot the extra sprites required to make a "tall sprite". With another mode, plotmap will still assume sprites are a zone height tall, allowing you to import long sprite sheets of animation. (not yet implemented, but considered - user-specified height for tall sprites, so tall sprites can be imported with animation sprite sheets)
  • Different controller support. Currently implemented are joysticks, driving controller, atari st mouse, amiga mouse, and keypad. TODO: Paddle, Trakball, and Lightgun. A lot of these are alpha code, because I've only been testing in emulation, so buyer beware.
  • Like 2

If you mean with with IF statements and other conditions then that's already possible with some restrictions. It uses symbols rather than words in a way that's fairly standard across languages.

If you mean bitwise AND and OR then I think you'd need to use a couple of lines of assembly.

I've taken this from the guide regarding conditional logic.

The third type of ifthen is a complex or compound statement, that is, one containing a boolean AND (&&) operator or a boolean OR (||) operator. You are allowed only one OR (||) for each ifthen statement. You can use more than one AND (&&) in a line, but you cannot mix AND (&&) and OR (||).

if x < 10 && x > 2 then b = b - 1

if !joy0up && gameover = 0 then 200

if x = 5 || x = 6 then x = x - 4

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having a problem with Windows 10 and running 7800bas. States that it can't open "default.inc" for reading. I tried to do the set path, set directory thing, it did not work. I changed the security permissions so files can be written inside the directory. I know the file is inside the Includes folder. The folder is not on the C: drive, using E: instead.

The "can't open default.inc for reading" is due to your problem with install_win.bat. If install_win.bat created a "install_win.log" file, can you attach it here?

You can probably work around this by copying the 7800bas.bat file to the project directory with your basic file, and add something like the following to the top of that copy of the batch file...

SET bas7800dir=E:\7800basic
SET PATH=%PATH%;E:\7800basic

(adjusted to point to the location of your 7800 directory, of course.)

When DoubleBuffer ON with set screenheight 208, or other than 192, it seems to create a jumpy screen. I wonder if the Double Buffer function is intended to work only with the screen height of 192. Does it need to do the extra functions while the beam is passing between the off screen area?

When DoubleBuffer ON with set screenheight 208, or other than 192, it seems to create a jumpy screen. I wonder if the Double Buffer function is intended to work only with the screen height of 192. Does it need to do the extra functions while the beam is passing between the off screen area?

There's nothing special you should have to do.

I had doublebuffer tested with 208 and 224 before releasing it, but it seems the issue you're running into is specifically with a zoneheight of 8. I'll try to track it down then I get a chance.

• 2 weeks later...