IGNORED

7800basic beta, the release thread

RevEng

1 hour ago, Karl G said:

I've been troubleshooting a weird bug in my code, and I think I finally figured out that it's a corner-case bug, or undocumented limitation. It seems that although plotchars can accept more chars than 32, breaking it up into two DLs, it doesn't seem to handle it correctly if the numbers of chars is given in a variable. In my case, I was trying to plot 36 characters, and that worked fine if I hard-coded the number 36, but when 36 was in a variable, it only plotted 4 characters (the remainder after 32 I suppose).

It's an undocumented limitation, at least for now. The present width>32 support is very much a compile-time feature, that adds extra code to only the affected plotchar statement.

When I have my hands in the code next I'll see what I can do about expanding it to runtime. I'll also look at some of the other recent feature requests too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another small (?) feature request: I would love to be able to mix numeric data with alphadata to be able to mark ends of strings or to be able to include characters not in the alphachars string in the case of a full ASCII characterset. I was thinking that maybe this used to work, but the checking for malformed alphadata content got stricter? Anyway, something like this:

alphadata askname text_tileset
    'What is your name?'
end

There's a new v0.33 7800basic release at github. Changes include:

• feature: auto-dimensioning of variables added
  • feature: alphadata statements can now also contain literal values
  • feature: strcpy added for quick population of ram with text strings
  • feature: PLOTSPRITE/PLOTSPRITE4 commands can now use variable arguments
  • fix: compressed files didn't previously work in folders
  • fix: brief hiscore screen glitch could occur
  • fix: double snes2atari controlled by first port
  • fix: data statement line length being exceeded didn't trigger line length error
  • fix: sprite index could fail with very tall and wide tallsprites

If I've discussed a fix/change with you and you don't see it above, I haven't forgotten. I'm just a bit short of time these days, and wanted to get these features and fixes out first.

I also noticed that in a few weeks 7800basic will have been around for a decade. I guess I need to go eat some cake or something.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, RevEng said:

I also noticed that in a few weeks 7800basic will have been around for a decade. I guess I need to go eat some cake or something.

An impressive list of changes! And I appreciate you incorporating my suggestions - will be quite handy with the project I'm playing with at the moment.  🙂 

And wow ... ten years! So when is the actual day for the decade anniversary? Is it the anniversary of the first public release, or when you started the project?

• Like 3

Thanks for that guys, and you're welcome Karl!

5 minutes ago, Karl G said:

And wow ... ten years! So when is the actual day for the decade anniversary? Is it the anniversary of the first public release, or when you started the project?

I'm going by the first public 0.1 beta release, which was February 28th, 2014. The first post in this thread was on that day (though it was updated a bit when 7800basic moved to github) I also have an old blog entry about it too

• Like 6

Completely selfish, layman's request to see a 7800basic demo created by a developer or developers that celebrates the 10th Anniversary of 7800basic. :-D

Ideally, it could include a (scrolling/tickertape) list of all the titles - at least the publicly published games and perhaps even demos, that have been created with 7800basic.

:ponder:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, RevEng said:

There's a new v0.33 7800basic release at github. Changes include:

• feature: auto-dimensioning of variables added
  • feature: alphadata statements can now also contain literal values
  • feature: strcpy added for quick population of ram with text strings
  • feature: PLOTSPRITE/PLOTSPRITE4 commands can now use variable arguments
  • fix: compressed files didn't previously work in folders
  • fix: brief hiscore screen glitch could occur
  • fix: double snes2atari controlled by first port
  • fix: data statement line length being exceeded didn't trigger line length error
  • fix: sprite index could fail with very tall and wide tallsprites

If I've discussed a fix/change with you and you don't see it above, I haven't forgotten. I'm just a bit short of time these days, wanted to get these features and fixes out first.

The cake is a lie!  Don't fall for it!  :lol:

• Haha 1

The new strcpy is working well for me! One question though: is there any way to sneak in a single quote inside the string if I'm using "alphachars ASCII"? I'm guessing not, but also figured it couldn't hurt to ask.  🙂 

18 minutes ago, Karl G said:

The new strcpy is working well for me! One question though: is there any way to sneak in a single quote inside the string if I'm using "alphachars ASCII"? I'm guessing not, but also figured it couldn't hurt to ask.  🙂 

Not presently. When I get a chance I'll look at adding an escape character... getting the preparser to go along with it may take some doing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mksmith said:

Tina Fey Nbc GIF by Saturday Night Live

That's exactly how I eat cake. I make a group of people watch as I eat the whole cake by myself, starting from their side so they won't miss a thing. I also wash down the cake with tears that I extract from their eyes using a series of tubes.

z_clockwork-orange-behind-the-scenes.thumb.jpg.89f7ffe1c15d84005ea67f67e37cea7c.jpg

HTML version of the 7800basic Guide has been updated:

https://www.randomterrain.com/7800basic.html

If anyone notices any mistakes, please let me know.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Hi Mike,  so i am getting this error when trying to add another large mother t-rex sprite.

segment: "GAME" 4000                    vs current org: 4111
   stack allowance: 22 nested subroutines.
   the canary is situated at: $1d2
   stack allowance: 22 nested subroutines.
   the canary is situated at: $1d2

banksetrom.asm (294): error: Origin Reverse-indexed.

I am guessing this is an overflow/space issue?

Edit: Think i answered my own question. After shuffling the sprite into another bank that has more space it compiles. Not leaving me with much left in all the banks so i am going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere as i have a few other smaller sprites to add 🤔

• Like 3