IGNORED

7800basic beta, the release thread

RevEng

Welcome to the official 7800basic release thread!

To download the latest version of 7800basic, visit the 7800basic github release page. Additional info may be found at the 7800basic page of the 7800 Development Wiki.

Random Terrain has provided an online version of the 7800basic guide.

Please report any issues, errors, etc., in this thread. If this language is going to be useful, bug-free, and a pleasure to use, it's going to be through shared collaboration.

And most of all, lets use this language to make some new kick-ass games for our all too often overlooked platform. :)

• Like 28

Just one tiny suggestion for page 20 regarding this:

post-18-0-30067500-1393689162_thumb.png

Hue $a is closer to a member of the "blue" family for both NTSC and PAL.
It will start to appear more "green->blue" (low->high end) with a system having a higher phase shift (~26.7 degrees and greater).

Hue $c would be the 'official' "green" (remains consistently that way despite a lower or higher phase shift) for NTSC, $d would probably be better for PAL (And would work for NTSC too in the example).

The Level 1 forest for Bentley Bear utilizes $d (Bob, please correct if mistaken).

Color charts showcasing phase shifs from 24.7 degrees thru 27.7 degrees can be found here.

• Like 2

I woke to find this thread. Have been reading all morning. Great documentation. Tried compiling simple.bas just a moment ago.

One thing that might throw someone off just starting is you used "_simple" for a folder name in one of the command lines but the actual folder is "simple", no underscore.

Here comes the newbee questions:

With the command line: 7800basic.sh simple.bas , I am getting the message "Command not found".

I have 7800basic.sh in the same folder as simple.bas. Does it need to be in a different folder?

Forgot to mention working in OS X.

Allan

I see this is going to be battle from the gate. Uggg!!!

I just tried installing install_win.bat in Windows XP.

I got a message:

:FAILED
echo Setting the bas7800dir variable failed. This batch file requires SETX,
echo which comes with WinXP SP2, Windows Vista, and later versions of Windows.
echo.
echo You should obtain a copy of SETX and re-run this script, or set the
echo bas7800dir variable manually.
echo.
pause

I updated windows XP with SP2, restarted windows, ran install_win.bat and got the exact same thing.

Allan

I woke to find this thread. Have been reading all morning. Great documentation. Tried compiling simple.bas just a moment ago.

One thing that might throw someone off just starting is you used "_simple" for a folder name in one of the command lines but the actual folder is "simple", no underscore.

Thanks, I'll fix that for the next update!

With the command line: 7800basic.sh simple.bas , I am getting the message "Command not found".

I have 7800basic.sh in the same folder as simple.bas. Does it need to be in a different folder?

7800basic.sh shouldn't have to be in the same folder. Did you run "install_ux.sh" in the 7800basic folder? This sets up your PATH so you can run the script from anywhere.

It's also worth mentioning that you need to open a new terminal window after running install_ux.sh". This tidbit is mentioned by install_ux.sh itself, but easy enough to miss.

I just tried installing install_win.bat in Windows XP.

My mistake. I got the bit about "setx" being delivered with XP SP2 from the net, but clearly it's not exactly right.

Check out the answers in this thread for how to obtain it for XP.

Or we can go over how to set the variables manually, if you prefer.

Thanks, I'll fix that for the next update!

7800basic.sh shouldn't have to be in the same folder. Did you run "install_ux.sh" in the 7800basic folder? This sets up your PATH so you can run the script from anywhere.

It's also worth mentioning that you need to open a new terminal window after running install_ux.sh". This tidbit is mentioned by install_ux.sh itself, but easy enough to miss.

My mistake. I got the bit about "setx" being delivered with XP SP2 from the net, but clearly it's not exactly right.

Check out the answers in this thread for how to obtain it for XP.

Or we can go over how to set the variables manually, if you prefer.

I ran install_ux.sh in terminal. I just opened terminal and dragged the file install_ux.sh onto the terminal window. It gave me the message:

Quote:

__________________________The_7800basic_Unix_Installer_v1__________________________

This script will update your /Users/allan/.profile file to

set the following variables each time you open a terminal window.

export bas7800dir="/Users/allan"

export PATH=$PATH:$bas7800dir

You may run this script as many times as you like, and should do so if you're

installing a new version of 7800basic, or if you relocate this basic directory.

Hit [ENTER] to begin, or type Q and [ENTER] to quit.

End Quote.

I hit 'return' and it then gave me the message:

Quote:

/Users/allan/.profile has been updated successfully.

To test the new setup...

1. open another terminal window. (the bas7800dir and PATH variables will

now be active in any new terminal window)

2. type: cd "/Users/allan/samples/_simple"

3. type: 7800basic.sh simple.bas

This should create a test.bas.bin binary file in the samples directory

that will work on real hardware or under emulation.

End Quote.

I then opened a new Terminal window and typed:

cd "/Users/allan/samples/_simple"

hit 'return' and the typed:

7800basic.sh simple.bas

and got the message:

'command not found'

Allan

Thanks, CPUWIZ.

The top page is what I used to find the bottom page. I did what was said and XP said it was updated but I still got the same message when I ran install_win.bat for 7800Basic.

Weird.

Hopefully I can get 7800Basic to work with OS X Terminal. It's a little easier than having to switch over to Windows.

Allan

Excellent, and thank-you! I'll update it.

I've been using the default MESS palette for my work, but it seems that might be a bad idea.

More recent versions of MESS, in the last year or so, should have a 'good' palette (~Versions 0.148-0.152).

Anything earlier, may likely have some issues.

Hopefully I can get 7800Basic to work with OS X Terminal.

I had success in the Terminal.app on OS X, Allan. I had to cd to the actual folder I'm storing 7800basic in at the moment. (In my case, ~/A7800 Development/7800basic/7800basic.0.1beta20140228/ which is sloppy, but hey. :) ) When I ran the install_ux.sh file after doing so, things just popped.

Edited by MAC-42
  • Like 1

I had success in the Terminal.app on OS X, Allan. I had to cd to the actual folder I'm storing 7800basic in at the moment. (In my case, ~/A7800 Development/7800basic/7800basic.0.1beta20140228/ which is sloppy, but hey. :) ) When I ran the install_ux.sh file after doing so, things just popped.

For some reason it just doesn't see it or something. I have everything in the same folder but no go. I'll keep bagging away at this.

I tried typing 'ls' in Terminal and I got a list of the files in the folder that Terminal is pointed to and it seems to be the correct folder. It contains all the 7800basic files including simple.bas and 7800basic.sh.

Allan

Hi Walter,

Here are the two sample programs compiled. The first one is very basic, just so people can see an uncomplicated program.

simple.bas.a78

adventurer.bas.a78

Installation on Windows 7 is pretty straightforward. It's covered in the last part of the Guide, but its just a matter of unzipping the zip file somewhere on your computer. (make sure to unzip with directory support). Then double-click the "install_win.bat" file.

Actual usage is from the command-line, but that's also covered in the last part of the Guide too.

In your earlier post you asked how you could learn this. My suggestion is to follow the guide instructions on how to compile the simple.bas example. Then read through the commands in the guide a bit. When you read something you want to try, modify simple.bas and try it out.

If you run into problems as you learn, post in the forums. I'm glad to help, and the guys who know bB automatically know a good deal of the 7800basic syntax, so they can help too.

Allan, when you unzipped, did it create subdirectories like /doc and /samples, or did everything go in one spot?

Judging from your variables it looks like the latter. Try unzipping with directories, if that's the case.

Yes, it created subdirectories.

Allan