Added new levels.

Still working on the music.

Fixed several things.

Tanks exploded better

added towers to biplane level

added clouds to biplanes level

added a track round a bout level

added a buildings level to the tanks and reworked level 2

Still some glitches which cause the tanks to teleport.

Overall much better.

Edited by digress
  • Like 2

Well, he says "still working in the music" ;)

True, but I still feel I should mention it because some people find certain things annoying, while these same things are not annoying at all to some other people. If digress believes his music is acceptable as it is, then other people (namely those who will purchase the actual game cartridge) should voice their opinion about it.

• Like 1

True, but I still feel I should mention it because some people find certain things annoying, while these same things are not annoying at all to some other people. If digress believes his music is acceptable as it is, then other people (namely those who will purchase the actual game cartridge) should voice their opinion about it.

In fact he could lower the octaves and the volume because it hides the main Walkyries music.

hi, yeah I am well aware of high pitched squealing. it annoys me too.

the coleco sound chip doesn't handle those high notes well. so like was mentioned I am going to play with lowering the octave etc.

the music has been pretty difficult. I may have to switch tunes to something different altogether. This piece of music may not be suitable for the sound chip. I won't put music in there if I can't get sound good. better I just do sound effects.

i'll put in an option to disable music. probably a keypad button that you can toggle anytime.

and please any feedback is great . that's why I put it up here. Espicially if there is something you don't like.

and please any feedback is great . that's why I put it up here. Espicially if there is something you don't like.

Here are my suggestions:

• When the tanks hit an obstacle or edge of land they judder back an forth. Visually this is very annoying - can you fix it so that they just stop moving completely?
  • I'm not sure I like the fact that shells fired from the tanks can wrap around the screen - although that may just be me :)
  • On the tank stages I think that the flock of birds flying by is a little superfluous and distracting. I can understand having it on the aeroplane screens but not with the tanks.
  • Any way to make the planes in flight look a little more natural? They just seem to completely defy any form of physics and it looks very odd. Perhaps look to the Coleco version of Looping for inspiration on how the planes could move.

Other than that, great work.

In fairness, I was controlling (trying) both planes at the same time which lead to a few passengers losing their lunch.

The difference (flight style) between looping and mine is

1) speed - looping is very slow in comparison so my planes rotate too quickly as well.

2) gravity - looping does not take gravity into account

3) looping has 20 rotational directions and I have 16 but that was because 1 plane vs 2 planes each with 2 colours and I was running out of sprites.

That being said the level of difficulty at flying is astronomical and I'll adjust that more towards looping.I have good control over it as is but it might be too hard for others. Actually the code is already there and working on the round about level. I'll try it on the other levels.

with the tanks:

1)the bird I was planning on converting into a jeep or something for the tanks that basically gets in your way to absorb a shot occasionally when you think you got a sure kill. Adds a bit of bad luck.

2)The bouning tanks has to come out for sure.

3) I'm not sure about the wrapping tanks & bullets. You may be right. Basically it was necessary for the planes due to the speed. I'll try a version without any wrapping for the tanks.

The airplane part of your video could be called "War: Crash Test Dummy edition". :P

But seriously, the high-pitched notes of the music are really annoying...

Here are my suggestions:

• When the tanks hit an obstacle or edge of land they judder back an forth. Visually this is very annoying - can you fix it so that they just stop moving completely?
  • I'm not sure I like the fact that shells fired from the tanks can wrap around the screen - although that may just be me :)
  • On the tank stages I think that the flock of birds flying by is a little superfluous and distracting. I can understand having it on the aeroplane screens but not with the tanks.
  • Any way to make the planes in flight look a little more natural? They just seem to completely defy any form of physics and it looks very odd. Perhaps look to the Coleco version of Looping for inspiration on how the planes could move.

Other than that, great work.

War aug 2014b Direct update based on feedback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of3xebMoC0Q&feature=youtu.be

-new music versions that should sound better on the coleco (still not complete but enough is there to compare)

I'm using parkfun101's Colecovision Music and melody creator. Helped greatly to revise the music around in 1 day

-planes now fly more like looping, slower and much easier to control (graity is disabled)

-tanks & planes now turn slower

-tanks now take between 1 and 3 hits to kill

if hit but weakened tank will turn black (i'll use a different colour than black later) but lets you know you have been hurt

-(sometimes 1 hit will kill you sometimes 2 sometimes 3)

-Tanks now come to a bounce & then stop when they strike an immovable object. They also have your course changed.

-you can now destroy some objects by running into them.

• Like 6

I only need to be told (unless your the wife...I don't hear anything she says) . Sometimes I don't see it and need others opinions. Thanks for the help everyone

Very much like the improvements. The planes and tanks movements look much more natural now. Well done :)

Thanks for some feedback. I am determined to finish the project.

There won't be much room for many additions as I'm up around 26kb now out of 32kb but definitely a lot of refinement to the existing games.

The tanks were a great suggestion, I was originally just doing biplanes but that has added a real nice variety. It fit my existing engine pretty good only need a week or so to make the different physics work. I like the idea of an additional level/variety with soldiers. I may not have enough room though.

I'm going to finish up the 2 variations as they are and 1 additional option to have biplanes with no gravity or ground. My daughter found it too difficult and crashed constantly so basically a beginner version. I like the gravity and ground because they do make it difficult to fly and fight at the same time. She had no trouble with the tanks control though. Actually kicked my ass!.

So yeah there is gravity so it makes flying a bit more realistic than say looping where you move at a constant speed even if going up or down. similar to triple action on intellivision where you can stall and fall backwards to the ground.

Hello! Please make this for the Intellivision too! ;-)

I do intend to a make an intellivision game possibly next or in the near future after I finish this one on colecovision. It would probably be a different concept altogether though.

Intellivision already has some nice tank games though . Triple action & Armour battle are very similar games. I'm not sure a version of this game would add much whereas there really isn't a similar game to this on colecovision.

I could make an intellivision box version though... but it would still have the colecovision cartridge inside. We'll see. I have to finish this one first.

Hello! Please make this for the Intellivision too! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...