IGNORED

How to save programs you've mad on a atari 800xl

Hey everyone been a long time since i last posted. I have a question my friend and i were messing around on his 800 xl and made a clock program. The problem is we dont know how to save it to a disk. Is there a way to do it or is it lost forever, can it possibly be saved to a tape, my friend and i are both new to the 800xl so any help would be appericated thanks. :?

Edited by PAC MAN FEVER

You cane save it to tape, provided you have the proper tape/program recorder. I am aware of the Atari models 410, 1010, XC11, and XC12. In BASIC, you would type CSAVE then press Return to save it to tape and when you would like to load it later on the command is CLOAD. Keep in mind that the tape drives I'm factory form are slowwww!

There are quite a few different floppy drives for the Atari 8 bits. Atari 810, 1050, XF551, etc plus the 3rd party drives. The standard nomenclature is SAVE "Dx:FILENAME.EXT", where the x following the D is the drive number (should be 1 in a single drive setup) then insert a filename and extension of your choosing. BAS is often used as the file extension for BASIC programs. To load your program from a floppy, replace SAVE with LOAD and enter your drive letter with filename and extension inside quotes like you saved it.

If you have the good fortune of having a hard disk device for you A8, use the above example replacing the D1 (for example) with H1.

Then there are some awesome devices some of the community has developed like the SIO2PC and SIO flash devices.

Oops, I didn't see ProWizard's post. Yeah, if you do not already have a storage drive of some sort you are sol. If you need to retain the source code, better get to writing.

If you are not already, you may want to try one of the excellent emulators such as Altirra, Atari Win Plus, etc. You can add lots of virtual drives for free! Good luck!

Thanks alot everyone actually i do have a floppy drive my tape drive has stopped working :(. do i need to have the floppy drive plugged into any particular port? i seem to get error 130 every time am i doing something wrong. also how do "create or know what the program name is sorry im so new to basic) :)

If you didn't boot the system with a DOS disk or have a DOS by other means (cart, built in ROM etc) then you have a problem.

Dos can be made to boot up with a little effort but your program will be wiped so that's no use.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/117882-emergency-ramdisk-for-64k-xlxe/?hl=%2Bramdisk

I wrote that some time ago - just the thing needed for your situation.

Obviously, type it in such that it doesn't clash with already existing line #s.

To reboot, don't power off. Type BYE once you've saved to the Ramdisk. Then you need to boot up a Dos that doesn't use any RAM under the OS. Then you need to type the Ramdisk program in again and run it. Then you can load your program back into Basic and save to D:

Thanks alot everyone actually i do have a floppy drive my tape drive has stopped working :(. do i need to have the floppy drive plugged into any particular port? i seem to get error 130 every time am i doing something wrong. also how do "create or know what the program name is sorry im so new to basic) :)

ERROR 130 is 'no such device'

You have to put a leading " in front of your filespec (eg. SAVE "D:FILE.EXT) Either you didn't put the leading " or you gave something other than what is in the device table.

"S:", "E:", "D:FILENAME", CSAVE (no "), or LIST "C: or "K:". gotta also have the colon and it must be capital.

also "R: if you have a R: handler for a modem, "P: if you want to print to an attached printer. There was a neat "G: handler that would print ATASCII inverse characters

to a SG10 dot matrix printer.

Your file specification for disk file must have a '8.3' filename, any 1 to 8 capital alpha characters. Optionaly followed by a "." and up to three more capital letters.

Edited by russg

Pen and paper backup is an option too, but the save and load times are horribly slow. :P

Well, a hammer, a chisel and a (big) stone or rock are another option. The information stored there will last much longer than on tape or disk or CD or DVD or any other modern media. But the saving times are a bit awkward... ;-)

Many thousand years after the egypt empire, the roman empire and the greek empire have all gone, we can still read or decipher the information they have left. I doubt that in 1000 years someone will be able to read or decipher our data.