IGNORED

downfall+ cartridge release :: initial info, background and story

sh3-rg

Great work, and thanks for the awesome release! I have one small question though...

(from the first post)

The cartridge supports BJL file loading (BJL cable required) and Jagtopia CD bypass via button presses at boot for quick and simple access to these extras.

I think I am missing something obvious here or because I am just a noob. I am trying to run the BJL loader or Jagtopia with no results so far. At first I assume that "button presses", from the first post in this thread, means that I can press any button and it will detect and load for either function, but still no results.
I did some research on Jagtopia, but it seems that this has only been availiable in CD and Binary versions, and is supposed load automatically when you turn the system on, doesn't work in this situation because Downfall seems to load first. And for the BJL, the only instructions I have been able to find for that are the instructions for Protector SE. Holding 4+8, at boot, is supposed to start that. That doesn't seem to work in this situation.
Again, I am sure I missing something simple. Could someone please clarify how to use the BJL and Jagtopia functions on the Downfall+ cartridge version. Thanks in advance.

Great work, and thanks for the awesome release! I have one small question though...

(from the first post)

I think I am missing something obvious here or because I am just a noob. I am trying to run the BJL loader or Jagtopia with no results so far. At first I assume that "button presses", from the first post in this thread, means that I can press any button and it will detect and load for either function, but still no results.

I did some research on Jagtopia, but it seems that this has only been availiable in CD and Binary versions, and is supposed load automatically when you turn the system on, doesn't work in this situation because Downfall seems to load first. And for the BJL, the only instructions I have been able to find for that are the instructions for Protector SE. Holding 4+8, at boot, is supposed to start that. That doesn't seem to work in this situation.

Again, I am sure I missing something simple. Could someone please clarify how to use the BJL and Jagtopia functions on the Downfall+ cartridge version. Thanks in advance.

The instructions are (or at least should be, I hope so at least!) on the back of the box.

On menu, hold zero on keypad + UP for Jagtopia or zero + down for BJL 4-bit loader. I requested these be available sooner, before the game booted, but for whatever reason CJ prefered to have it run from the menu instead, so at least it sits there waiting for you rather than scrambling to hit the combo in time and not too late before the game loads up.

• Like 2

I feel stupid. No instruction book, and I didn't even think to check the back.... Just so exited to try it out :-D It works great! Thanks sh3-rg!

There was supposed to be a separate instruction sheet - that was the original plan. But when the first few attempts at printing on the back of the Reboot/Jagware flyers resulted in one very jammed up and super-heated brand new (and very expensive) colour laser printer, it was decided not to go that route :lol: So I simply wrote a note on them instead... and as usual, there's very little need for instructions with our games, they're designed to be pick-up-and-play quick hits not something you have to digest a novella before taking the game out of the box.

• Like 3

:(

On a side note, The same happened to me, but less destroyed. The case has a few transparent plastic parts broken on the inside, but no impact on cart or documents.

Or maybe my postal service is in a bad mood recently. Who knows :)

As someone who has never played either iteration, or even heard of Downfall until recently...

...what are the in-game and gameplay differences that make 'Downfall +' different from the JagCD release of Downfall.

To the general layman, all I can spot (more obviously) is a difference in the scrolling background :cool:

As someone who has never played either iteration, or even heard of Downfall until recently...

...what are the in-game and gameplay differences that make 'Downfall +' different from the JagCD release of Downfall.

To the general layman, all I can spot (more obviously) is a difference in the scrolling background :cool:

Game: The background, sprites, cart high score saves, website hi score generation, title music and backdrop.

Game play: Nothing. It is identical.

Judging by some of the comments I've seen maybe we should have just shoved out the old version on cart and not bothered :lol: Certainly puts potential further remixes of previous games on the CBA list.

Best wishes to our good friend - the guy who made the original sprites etc., Matt, who is recovering in hospital after a serious emergency operation at the weekend. I'm sure it'd make him smile to know some people prefer the original :D

• Like 5

Game: The background, sprites, cart high score saves, website hi score generation, title music and backdrop.

Judging by some of the comments I've seen maybe we should have just shoved out the old version on cart and not bothered :lol: Certainly puts potential further remixes of previous games on the CBA list.

Best wishes to our good friend - the guy who made the original sprites etc., Matt, who is recovering in hospital after a serious emergency operation at the weekend. I'm sure it'd make him smile to know some people prefer the original :D

Thanks for the clarification.

Also... I've read no comments here concerning an indifference to your upgrades/work on DF+...?

I'm sure there are plenty here and everywhere who are grateful for the upgrades. It's often easier to grumble unnecessarily than be unnecessarily complimentary for most though :)

You forgot:

Game: U235SE instead of SiniPlayer, Rotary controls, Heiko Mode

GamePlay: Some of the platforms, because they use different bitmaps, can now be ran across if going full speed.

• Like 1