InsaneMultitasker

Horizon RAMdisk ROS and CFG Development

I am not ambitious enough to program CFG to identify every piece of TI gear.  We have these things called "eyes" and "hands" to help us with that. ;)

For cards that have unique DSR entries, I will add dedicated detection when the details are shared with me.  I am also not interested in determining every different flavor, e.g., does it really matter if  the card is WHT SCSI or ASCSI.  :)   

Hsgpl, SCSI, SAMS are detected.   Some devices are not CRU-based which is what CFG is looking at, though I can add non-CRU devices if needed.  I don't think there is a way to detect the SID-Master cards from my discussions with Hull.  Is there a routine that would identify speech? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I am not ambitious enough to program CFG to identify every piece of TI gear.  We have these things called "eyes" and "hands" to help us with that. ;)

This is what I also had in mind some time ago, when I proposed a new boot EPROM. Auto-detection is a kind of luxury that one must be able to afford. My idea of "drivers" for cards would be a unified way of loading specific drivers, and making use of the user's intelligence to provide the correct one. ;)

You can identify speech by trying to load vocabulary bytes. See Editor/Assembler manual, "Chcking to see if the speech synthesizer is attached" (22.1.6).

I'll have to plug in my RAVE speech card again. In the dim recesses of my memory I think CFG found it. I was mistaken, it was NOT found - no big deal.

Edited by atrax27407

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

For cards that have unique DSR entries, I will add dedicated detection when the details are shared with me.  I am also not interested in determining every different flavor, e.g., does it really matter if  the card is WHT SCSI or ASCSI.  :)   

Hsgpl, SCSI, SAMS are detected.   Some devices are not CRU-based which is what CFG is looking at, though I can add non-CRU devices if needed.  I don't think there is a way to detect the SID-Master cards from my discussions with Hull.  Is there a routine that would identify speech? 

The original idea of CFG and list of devices, was for the noobie to know what CRU slots were free on his/her PEB system before setting the dip switches to a FREE address for their Horizon card.

So CFG only detected devices that replied to normal >1000 to >1F00 CRU banks that is scanned by default for DSR at >4000 with devices.

Of course you could have even more devices listed like for example my POP-CART is at >0B00 CRU and has a CART. device in it (yes, you can have grom-based DSR's also, like CS1, etc), but for normal PEB scan >10 to >1F and cards that appear in DSR space there is enough so the user knows where and how many Horizon cards he can install and at what free CRU slots.

As for devices that should be labelled and missing from your list that can cause issues as it takes up a CRU slot, would be the Official TI99 Thermal Printer sidecar! :)

Edited by Gary from OPA
missing device
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

As for devices that should be labelled and missing from your list that can cause issues as it takes up a CRU slot, would be the Official TI99 Thermal Printer sidecar! :)

Done!  Thermal Printer has been added!  :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dhe said:

ok... this is fun... I'll see Gary's Thermal Printer, and Raise you a Hexbus adapter! 😃

no problem, now we just need the person that won the 'dial-up modem sidecar' prototype from ebay to dump the DSR and find out also the CRU base, and we can add that to the CFG. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

no problem, now we just need the person that won the 'dial-up modem sidecar' prototype from ebay to dump the DSR and find out also the CRU base, and we can add that to the CFG. :)

I'm working through the schematic for that one now, Gary. Once I'm done with that reconstruction, I'll start looking at the DSR. ;) I've seen a list of TI-reserved PEB card addresses that includes the MODEM though, so some of the data is already out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1