IGNORED

Energizer Lithium batteries

midnight8

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I ran a search and did not see it, but forgive me if I missed. has anyone used the Energizer lithium batteries in their lynx? They have a little more voltage than a regular alkaline battery. Will it hurt anything?

I have heard that lithiums run a higher voltage than alkaline, so that would cause some worry. But I use energizer lithium on a regular basis and haven't had any trouble. One thing to keep in mind though, I get mine from used devices at work so the batteries already have had some drain on them before I use them.

Why don´t you buy yourself an accupack? There´s one available for Lynx II from Naki. Atari made a super-large-batterypack as well, which you can mod into a supersized accupack. I own both of them and swapped the old cells from the Naki pack and modded an Atari Batterpack with 9000mAh D cells. Its so powerful that it even is possible to completely power the VEEEERY hungry PC Engine!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65709578@N06/12923071294/

Just get NMHi batteries and recharge all you want. Lithium batteries are very expensive and NMHi often last longer per charge than standard alkaline in high drain devices. Rechargables have lower nominal voltage but put out more amps so there's little to no voltage drop, so in practice they have comparable output. Slight variances in voltage between battery types won't matter too much but you may need to adjust the contrast on your Lynx to compensate.

Just get NMHi batteries and recharge all you want. Lithium batteries are very expensive and NMHi often last longer per charge than standard alkaline in high drain devices. Rechargables have lower nominal voltage but put out more amps so there's little to no voltage drop, so in practice they have comparable output. Slight variances in voltage between battery types won't matter too much but you may need to adjust the contrast on your Lynx to compensate.

You are probably right, but every time I buy rechargeables they seem to get taken by gremlins. I am not sure which gremlin in the house gets them, because I can never beat a confession out of them :). Seriously, the kids make them disappear or maybe it is the wife, I don't know. I also asked the question though because I tend to mainly play my lynx when I am on trips and sometimes there is no way to recharge the batteries. Airplane ride for instance. Going to Vegas soon and I need to occupy a couple hours in the airport and on the plane and what not. I also have to ride with other people sometimes and they occupy the cig lighters with their damn phones. lol

^^It's true about the NMHi batteries lasting longer than alkaline in certain devices. I have a bike light that takes three AAA batteries. On alkaline full brightness it lasts only a ride or two before it fades. Often I'm returning home with the light just barely glowing. I put some fully charged NHMi batteries in there because the alkaline batteries were becoming a money pit. Not only are the NMHi batteries brighter than the alkalines, but I've been on a bunch of night rides so far and have not had the light fade out yet. I should probably take out the batteries and recharge them though before I go riding again.

Anywho, your Lynx will probably be getting about 7.5V power for most of the duration of the charge. If you turn the brightness/contrast knob up slightly, the screen will display fine. You might be pleasantly surprised by how long they last. Or not. Unfortunately my Lynx is KO so I can't verify it, but you should be okay with those. Assuming the gremlins stealing batteries are your kids, I'm guessing they don't know the difference and are throwing them out like you probably taught them to do with alkalines? Maybe you could set a new rule that all expired batteries go in a designated bucket, not the trash. Get a cheap 3 LED battery tester, test the alkalines to see if there's any juice left, otherwise toss them, and collect the rechargable batteries and stick them in the chargers.