IGNORED

Would You Buy a New Game for the SGM?

Troy_Whelan

Gauging Volume of Sales for Games Requiring the Super Game Module  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Buy a New Game for the SGM?

• No, I do not have a Super Game Module
    • Yes, even though I do not have a Super Game Module I would buy 1 copy
    • Yes, even though I do not have a Super Game Module I would buy more than 1 copy
    • Yes, I have a Super Game Module and would buy 1 copy
    • Yes, I have a Super Game Module and would buy more than 1 copy
  2. 2. How many copies of a game would you buy?

• None.
    • More than 3

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I am trying to gauge interest in new ColecoVision games that would require use of a Super Game Module (SGM). This is being done because the game producers are not currently focusing on any SGM games due to the limited volume of SGMs in circulation. I think there are enough SGMs in circulation to warrant SGM game production. I also think the ColecoVision gaming community typically buys more than 1 game for a variety of reasons. Some buy an extra game as a spare, to display on a shelf, to trade with others for a missing game, or to sell years later to offset costs. This poll may help to raise awareness one way or the other around potentially creating and selling more SGM games before any more SGMs are created and sold.

To be clear, nobody requested me to do this. Not CollectorVision, not Team Pixelboy, not anyone. This is something I want to do because I want to see more Super Game Module games being created for the ColecoVision.

Troy, if you want to see more SGM games, then hire a detective and find Eduardo ;)

Kidding assides...

I'm clearly not sure I would want to produce any SGM right now , even if your poll goes successfull

Even when taking reservations, there's always people who never show up when it's time to pay/ship

Right now, the problem is Eduardo MIA as he is the one who produce the SuperGame Module

There's just too much people who are pissed to not have their orders ship by now, that I'm still afraid those very same people will lost fate into the WHOLE Colecovision scene in general ...maybe not, maybe yes....

I just wish to see Eduardo back here as soon as possible, but first and foremost, I hope he is ok

Back on the main topic, maybe having new games compatible with the ADAM ....and SGM would be the ideal solution ?

What do you think?

• Like 1

why dont make game with 24k ram so it will be possible to play on the adam + sgm so more people will be able to play right now and 24 k ram mod is possible on colecovision a mod that yurki and 5-11 could offer or if 5-11 release the 1.2 replacement board

Edited by chart45
  • Like 1

I can't speak for anyone but myself but I will not be purchasing any SGM games until I receive the SGM I purchased last spring. I would consider myself to be a gamer first collector second. At this point buying SGM games seems like throwing good money after bad. If the point comes that more SGM games are in circulation (from people buying in hopes they get their SGM's but never receive them) then there are SGM owners the value (in terms of resale of games) will also drop. (making reselling said games impossible) Pixelboy finally sold his last copies of some of the first run SGM games (Dragon's Lair, Kings valley, ect.) in the past couple weeks. If there was a real shortage of SGM games they all would have sold out a long time ago. (and not a year later)

Look Troy, I appreciate your desire to see more SGM games made and released, but in the end, it's my prerogative to publish new ColecoVision games under my Team Pixelboy label. Right now I'm working on Jewel Panic, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will contain all the features that I planned for it. And need I remind you that I am currently unemployed, so there's no way I'm going to spend a large amount of money in the short term.

Eduardo is MIA, and until he comes back, I'm not going to dip my toe in the SGM pool. When he does come back (hopefully next spring as Eduardo previously indicated) then we'll see where we all go from there.

• Like 2

If you want to see new SGM games published, you're more than welcome to put them out yourself. I think CollectorVision and Pixelboy have made their stance pretty clear in this situation, on multiple occasions. To me, it seems a little rude to make a public poll like this, trying and guilt publishers in to releasing more titles.

In regards to the question posed in this thread, my interest in the SGM was specifically to be able to play certain Adam games on my CV. I already have the two games I wanted, so I'm happy with my purchase. For regular homebrew titles, I prefer that they remain within the hardware limitations of the original system. I'm fine with carts which hold more data than the originals, but that's about where I tend to draw the line.

I didn't order a SGM more through procrastination than luck or otherwise. For me and perhaps others who have read some topics but still don't have a clear picture, is an SGM game only playable using the module perhaps without taking full advantage of some features and/or is it still playable on an ADAM or does it depend on the specific game. The answer may have me change my vote.

thankyou

Few voting option are missing.

1- I have a SGM but i won't buy any new games.

2- I have a SGM but i will buy only DK Arcade nothing else.

3- I don't have SGM but i will buy DK Arcade

Aside that , i think the Colecovision does not need the SGM to have great games. Just Look game like Mecha8 , Princess quest, Quest for Golden Calice, Module Man, Zombie Near , bomb'n Blast, Side Track , Mario etc... they don't use SGM.

Just the fact to use More Rom space thanks to a mega cart allow you to multiplies possibilities in matter of game.

• Like 3

I didn't order a SGM more through procrastination than luck or otherwise. For me and perhaps others who have read some topics but still don't have a clear picture, is an SGM game only playable using the module perhaps without taking full advantage of some features and/or is it still playable on an ADAM or does it depend on the specific game. The answer may have me change my vote.

thankyou

I'd say it depends on the game. The ADAM conversions (Dragon's Lair, etc.) don't require the SGM when played on the ADAM, but Eduardo ported King's Valley, Thexder and Rollerball, and he included a specific SGM detection routine in those three games (because they use the SGM's sound chip) so you absolutely need an SGM in those three cases. For Mecha-8, if the SGM is not plugged in, the game defaults to the "regular" sound output.

It's too bad about the SGM.

I remember meeting Eduardo back in 2010 I believe, got to see Donkey Kong in action on his SGM prototype and we chatted "homebrew" for a few minutes/etc.. He was totally excited and eager to talk about it all :)

I know the feeling of being overwhelmed with work though, it can cause a manic/depressive state. You are so excited and so happy with the public response but then a few things go wrong and your in over your head. The easy thing to do is just give everyones money back but thats admitting defeat. Sometimes you need a break to get back into the "manic" state...but completely vanishing is not the way to do it, lol

If you want to see new SGM games published, you're more than welcome to put them out yourself.

Ah Goldenegg, you make me laugh! Thanks for that! Maybe I will get started on publishing SGM games for the CV around the same time you begin re-creating unreleased ROMs for the CV!!! LOL Seeing that you were baffled about them not being shared and your comment above about creating things yourself that you want, it stands to reason that you will be creating the ROMs yourself! :D

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222445-who-wants-to-see-a-2nd-run-of-ghosts-n-zombies/?p=2936629

I think this thread is generating some good conversation. As I said in the first post here, “This poll may help to raise awareness one way or the other around creating and selling more SGM games before any SGMs are created and sold." This was to provide some insight and I am aware that this could prove that there is little to no demand, adequate demand, or enormous demand.

Just so others know where I am coming from with this poll. I have worked with 4 different ColecoVision homebrew groups including developers and publishers since 2005 to beta-test 14 different ColecoVision homebrew games. I have also provided input regarding editing new game manuals and even participated in beta-testing the Super Game Module itself. My interest is in helping the ColecoVision homebrew community and supporting new game creation. Clearly I also like the ColecoVision games, but looking at the line-up CollectorVision has for this year I have no worries regarding new games coming out.

If I have offended, or tried to pressure, or even tried to make anyone in the homebrew game production community feel guilty regarding SGM game creation, then you have my sincere apology as that was not my intent. I merely wanted to answer an unanswered question: Is there currently a demand for SGM games?

Edited by Troy_Whelan
  • Like 3

Ah Goldenegg, you make me laugh! Thanks for that! Maybe I will get started on publishing SGM games for the CV around the same time you begin re-creating unreleased ROMs for the CV!!! LOL Seeing that you were baffled about them not being shared and your comment above about creating things yourself that you want, it stands to reason that you will be creating the ROMs yourself! :D

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222445-who-wants-to-see-a-2nd-run-of-ghosts-n-zombies/?p=2936629

Releasing roms is a free activity, while releasing new cart based games takes an invesent of thousands of dollars. The two are nowhere near equivalent. Also, I simply stated an opinion on the subject rather than trying to publicly shame and humiliate the publishers.

Releasing roms is a free activity, while releasing new cart based games takes an invesent of thousands of dollars. The two are nowhere near equivalent. Also, I simply stated an opinion on the subject rather than trying to publicly shame and humiliate the publishers.

Not sure if it's a direct insult to CollectorVision, but let me tell you something

We already released most of our roms, and those who are not released, yet, will be

You also have to know it's not always up to publisher to release the roms or not, take as an example, GnZ

There's nothing we can do about it

Anyway guys, you're both right to have different opinion and you should respect each others

Otherwise, you should try to explain yourself in PM

No harms

Cheers! :)

Not sure if it's a direct insult to CollectorVision, but let me tell you something

We already released most of our roms, and those who are not released, yet, will be

You also have to know it's not always up to publisher to release the roms or not, take as an example, GnZ

There's nothing we can do about it

Anyway guys, you're both right to have different opinion and you should respect each others

Otherwise, you should try to explain yourself in PM

No harms

Cheers! :)

You completely misunderstood my post.

I was calling out the difference of posting a comment regarding an activity that's free vs trying to force people to do something that costs a great deal of money.

I know what CollectorVision an PixelBoy have done in regards to releasing roms and greatly appreciate it. The comments I made which were linked were directed at a developer and not a publisher.

I was calling out the difference of posting a comment regarding an activity that's free vs trying to force people to do something that costs a great deal of money.

I know what CollectorVision an PixelBoy have done in regards to releasing roms and greatly appreciate it. The comments I made which were linked were directed at a developer and not a publisher.

Ok, sorry then ;) :)

Not sure why you think I am trying to force anyone to do anything... really odd for you to say that. Team Pixelboy and CollectorVision are entitled to do, and clearly will do what they want to do. I am not trying to force anyone, nor do I think I could force anyone, to create anything. Also odd for you to say giving away a ROM is free. Free to you, but not free to the developer that created it. That ROM has value; it is the result of what you yourself say "costs a great deal of money". The creation and selling of carts is merely a way to recoup that money so the comparison is very much relevant. Creating and selling carts incurs more costs added to the cost of building the ROM, and that is the means to recoup the money. I am encouraging the creation of something that I will gladly pay for. You are asking for something for free that the developer does not want to give away. I am supporting homebrew creation while you are trying to "guilt them, force them, shame them, humiliate them" to give you the Ghosts N Zombies ROM for free. You, not me.

You are entitled to your opinions, but I am really not sure why you feel the need to alter the intent of this with your jaded opinions while acting like your actions are fine. I tried to laugh it off but you keep going. Let it go.

Edited by Troy_Whelan