IGNORED

Cliffall! a Pitfall II homage!

Aloan

I'm amazed how much fun I'm having, but please, make it so when I hit escape it says "Are you sure you want to quit?" rather than just abruptly exiting. I already accidentally lost everything twice. Also, when using the map, have a clicking block show your current location so you can know where you are, and have it pause the action (as you can actually move and potentially be killed when using the map) . Other than that, I love it so far!

Edited by Zap!
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Zap! don't worry. It is that I don't come here very often. I know... I forget!... well, good news, the game's webpage is here now... http://aloan.site90.com/cliffall.html

It is now a merged Pitfall 3 in the sense that the resolution mimics that of an Atari 2600 (double wide pixels) I know, color clocks! 160x192 (actually 320x192)...

Someone recently has shown interest in Cliffall lately and has even donated. i feel inclined to continue to polish it more. So my next step will be to convert its colors to the Atari 2600 palette!

How is that for great news! also, I plan to slowly bring the graphics, sprites an tiles more down to Atari 2600ish (one color per scanline) but no flickering and less sprite clutter...

Songs are not mine...

Someone mentioned something about a white bat that comes out of nowhere! (mmm) that happens on the Akeni game (updated 320x224 resolution commercial version) Did you buy Akeni and is wondering about the white bat? if so

Because as far as I can remember, I only did the "white bat" thing in that game, not in Cliffall.

The white bat comes out when you stay in one place for too long and will come suck all your blood, but if you move away it will then flee from you. It just appears so you can get moving! (the kind of thing that happened in games from Arcade cabinets)

Akeni (which is a Super arcade like Cliffall but with another character) can be found here: https://aloan.itch.io/akeni

Edited by Aloan
  • Like 1

I wish I could edit and delete all my posts. Best news is I will make an atari 2600ish separate version so as to alter all graphics and sounds. If it is well applauded then I will delete the other version. I bet I will have q lot of fun working on the original sprites :-D I would call it the super atari 2600 which is a fictional console that has more memory and so it is flicker free. Limitations such as the band coloring will continue. the only plus is you can have more sprites on the screen and no flicker. background limitation will continue. Will talk more about it on my atari page: aloan.site90.com/atari_graphics_simplified.html

Edited by Aloan
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi friends, I just made a simple Atari 2600 graphics maker (drawing) app which allows you to draw the background, the playfield and even the player without worrying about all the math and aspect ratio (double stretch effect)

I wonder why nobody has ever come up with such thing... I am always open for corrections or suggestions... I could not wait another hour to share, but I do plan to have repeated playfield capability (mirrored is the only one so far) - instructions and executable are inside the zip file... app was made using Fusion 2.5 and only works on windows or linux pcs

here you go scroll down to get: The Atari 2600 graphics maker

Edited by Aloan

Mirrored and repeated playfield possible now! 2x (double stretched) and 4x (quad stretched) player drawing possible now!!!!

instructions are in the zip, but here are some:

press 1 to draw the background one scanline coloring at a time

press 2 to draw the playfield (mirror mode)

press 3 to draw the playfield (repeated mode)

press 4 to draw the player (normal size)

extpl.png

press 5 to draw the player (double size)

press 6 to draw the player (quad size)

Features coming soon:

scanline per scanline coloring rule limitation (when drawing the playfield and the player)

player 8 color clocks width limitation (when drawing the player)

Obs: I guess the ball and the missiles can be drawn using the player cursor as well, so I may not create a drawing brush just for them (no need)

Edited by Aloan
  • Like 1

scanline per scanline coloring rule limitation is in!!!!! download above

Now I guess the last thing to do is to find a faster and better way to visibly pick from the 128 colors palette! as for now pressing > or < shifts through the colors when drawing the playfield or player

Picture above is composed of:

sky, sea and grass: background

clouds and palms: mirrored playfield

player: double wide player

Edited by Aloan

Update: turbo drawing now possible using W,A,S,D... use arrow keys to turbo move the cursor around as well as fast delete after pressing Z.. instructions in the zip...

Next update.... graphical user color palette menu for faster color picking!!!!! the last and best feature imo :D - press c to call the color table! use the mouse to pick the color

Edited by Aloan

I had forgotten to also include turbo cursor to player drawing mode, player 2x and 4x mode. Now it is all in.
Turbo cursor means, you can hold the arrow keys to auto move (fast) to any direction to choose the right position to start drawing.
Soon I will also change my Atari 2600 drawing page to reflect such helpful tool. http://aloan.site90.com/atari_graphics_simplified.html

Edited by Aloan

• 2 weeks later...

Best news is I will make an atari 2600ish separate version so as to alter all graphics and sounds. If it is well applauded then I will delete the other version.

I'm glad you posted about this again, I played this game years ago and was trying to find it again just a couple months ago. Why not keep both versions up? I quite enjoyed the original. I will have to give the new version a try. Glad to see you are still working on it! It is a worthy sequel to Pitfall in my opinion :)

I'm glad you posted about this again, I played this game years ago and was trying to find it again just a couple months ago. Why not keep both versions up? I quite enjoyed the original. I will have to give the new version a try. Glad to see you are still working on it! It is a worthy sequel to Pitfall in my opinion :)

Thanks Space friend, I was looking into this idea and it just so happens that it will be difficult and time consuming to make it as an Atari 2600ish game. I would have to make it from scratch to obey all the rules. So I will just keep the original as is (I may give it an update or two). I had worked on an upgrade from Cliffall which became Akeni (320x224 arcade resolution) as can be seen in my website: Aloan

Thanks Space friend, I was looking into this idea and it just so happens that it will be difficult and time consuming to make it as an Atari 2600ish game. I would have to make it from scratch to obey all the rules. So I will just keep the original as is (I may give it an update or two). I had worked on an upgrade from Cliffall which became Akeni (320x224 arcade resolution) as can be seen in my website: Aloan

In my opinion it doesn't really need to be remade to look more 2600ish. It feels like a natural evolution of Pitfall that a sequel might have been like. I look forward to checking out Akeni :)

• 1 year later...

The good news is that the website no longer seems to set my browser into a panic mode.

Here's a link straight to the download: http://aloan.site90.com/cliffall.zip

Looks like he's also done a Superman game:  http://aloan.site90.com/superman-remastered.html

Download link for Superman Remastered: http://aloan.site90.com/superman-remastered.zip

• Like 1

The most amazing thing happened:  I went to youtube to see a gameplay video of this game and I found none. I'm pretty close to freaking out here, don't think that's happened once in the past 7 years or so where searching on youtube for a videogame, even an indy one, resulted with zilch. 

I'll have to give this a try sometime.  Aloan:  The screenshots do look lovely, well done!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 11:48 PM, Loafer said:

The most amazing thing happened:  I went to youtube to see a gameplay video of this game and I found none. I'm pretty close to freaking out here, don't think that's happened once in the past 7 years or so where searching on youtube for a videogame, even an indy one, resulted with zilch. 

I'll have to give this a try sometime.  Aloan:  The screenshots do look lovely, well done!

I might have to change that by testing out my capture card! :D

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is an absolutely fantastic game. I will buy it in a second and promote it on my sites, but a few minor changes need to take place:

1) Pressing escape just quits. Please make a "Quit? Y/N" option after escape is pressed, in case of an accidental press.

2) Am I missing a joystick option? Playing with a keyboard is decent, but I'd love to play with a joystick.

3) The map. When I press the map button, please add a blinking cursor so I know where I am. Also, disable movement while on the map screen, because if you press left or right, you will actually move.

Do these simple changes and you will have an A++ game. I plan to review this on my Twitch real soon.

• 2 months later...
On 6/14/2020 at 3:43 PM, Zap! said:

This is an absolutely fantastic game. I will buy it in a second and promote it on my sites, but a few minor changes need to take place:

1) Pressing escape just quits. Please make a "Quit? Y/N" option after escape is pressed, in case of an accidental press.

2) Am I missing a joystick option? Playing with a keyboard is decent, but I'd love to play with a joystick.

3) The map. When I press the map button, please add a blinking cursor so I know where I am. Also, disable movement while on the map screen, because if you press left or right, you will actually move.

Do these simple changes and you will have an A++ game. I plan to review this on my Twitch real soon.

oh man! thank you all for the comments... I am sorry I don´t come here so much, which is a shame as my game seems to get the biggest praise here! gotta change that... but it is all about the "Getting used to" thing!
I don´t know if you guys (and girls) know, but in my website I have lots of other 2600 related stuff like a DIY atari-esque (no coding necessary) engine, a playfield painter and even a new game called Pigeon Pooper.. you can check it all here: https://aloan.neocities.org/videogame.html
Do check and play my Superman remastered game, you´ll love it!
Zap! I will copy paste your suggestions to see what I can do... but your suggestions are towards the Akeni (see 3rd image) game correct?
For those who don´t know Akeni is a remake of Cliffall but with some obvious differences...

pg.png

pg2.png

akeneui2.gif

Edited by Aloan
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Aloan said:

Zap! I will copy paste your suggestions to see what I can do... but your suggestions are towards the Akeni (see 3rd image) game correct?
For those who don´t know Akeni is a remake of Cliffall but with some obvious differences...

Yes, the Akeni game. Thank you so much, appreciate it if you can do that.