IGNORED

Conan on the Jaguar

BuddyBuddies

Has anybody tried to contact Hyperdevbox about this unreleased game?? Its really worth a shot. The President is Carlos Perconti and his partner was quoted saying this referring to Conan the Barbarian for the Jaguar:

"Lyes Belaidouni: We even made an attempt on the Atari Jaguar, the stillborn console for which we developed (without bragging) the most beautiful beat'em up with huge sprites and monumental backgrounds ! But this, alas, no one has seen it..."

The names of the characters in the screenshots of Conan are named after Carlos himself....upon closer inspection, the player character is named Carlo (like Carlo Perconti?), and the enemy he's hitting in the second shot is named Titus (Perconti did freelance work for Titus, and Belaidouni was a Titus employee).

Maybe Carl or Reboot could track down this lost Jaguar title and get it released?? Surely it is still out there and a quick name change could get this game released if there was a publisher willing to step up...

Well this is one of those lost Jag games that I would love to have, as the system sorely needed a beat-em-up style action game. I would put some money into the project if it went anywhere. I'm not getting my hopes up though, as I'm pretty sure this topic has been brought up before and leads to a dead end.

I doubt that there is something beyond the picture? I there was a full version even i would give 100$ to have it :P

or ever will play full version :? :

Connan, ZZyorxx II, Livewire, Deathwatch, Phase Zero, Native, Dactyl Joust, AvP 2 CD, Black Ice/ White Noise, Thea Realm Fighter, Highlander 2, Heart Of Darkness, Pitfall 3D, Soul Star.... Super Stardust (CD32)

• Like 1

actually, Super Fighter Team published one of HyperDevBox other unreleased games.

maybe it'd be a good idea to contact super fighter team in regard to this as they already have an established relationship with the company. At the very least, it'd be cool if they could share a little more on the progress they made and whether or not it ever made it to a true playable form.

i think alot of people would be happy to see another beta make its' way out to the community, especially one that had as much potential as Conan, but I'm afraid that it is most likely lost (if it ever made it to a playable state).

If I'm not mistaken Carlos Perconeti worked for Arcade Zone, which closed down, and now he has founded HyperDevbox. I think it's unlikely that he has anything on conan as its' about as probable as asking every employee involved in a given project if they happened to take a build home with them.

Still, it's a possibility and something that could warrant an inquiry- any information learned would be interesting.

oops, maybe hyperdevbox has nothing to do with Nightmare Busters afterall, looking a bit further into it, it seems that a company named in-fusio published it on mobile phones under a name different than the original title, and SFT had licensed it from a programmer and artist. so i can't really say for sure whether they were involved or whether super fighter team would have any additional pull in the way of getting information on it...

anybody who wants to see what conan would look like, arcade zone released a near-identical looking game on SNES called legend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxJpOA36-4g

• 4 weeks later...

Forgive the cynicism, but something tells me we're more likely to see CinePak vids of *this* Conan before anything resembling a side scrolling beat 'em up ever surfaces. ;)

attachicon.gifconan.jpg

Close enough, got to be worth $100 a copy on eBay, especially if someone could add some Jagueyes.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thread bump (sorry, but i had hoped for better news):

I emailed Carlo Perconti a few months back, regarding Conan (Jaguar) and few other misc titles he'd worked on, got a reply within a few days, he seemed very keen to help, so fired over a few questions in a mini-interview, had 2 emails during next few weeks from him, saying he was sorry but work meant he'd not had time to get back to me with any answers, then...nothing, 2 emails from my self since, to see if 'interview' was still on, gone unanswered.

So whilst i tried to find out the truth behind the game, does'nt look like any answers will be forth coming.

Sorry guys.

:-(

Conan, what is best in life?

"To crush your enemies, see them flee before you, and to be able to play Conan on your Atari Jaguar.."

I think it would be closer to

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear their lamentation because they cannot play Jaguar Conan."

• Like 2

Last i heard from him:

Dear Ross,

Just a quick email to let you know that I did not forget you, I just had a very busy 2 weeks in a raw of work here so I'll be back to your questions right after the week-end.

Thank you for patience ^^

Kind Regards,

Carlo Perconti

Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 8:36 AM

Nothing since :-(.

Did email twice in weeks since to see if he was still able to answers a few questions, but nothing came back.

It happens, had it myself as have people on Unseen64/GTW etc etc, contact made, people seem keen to help, but work/life in general etc means time simply is'nt there anymore.If i do hear anything, i'll update community on here.

Nothing annoys me more than a person who cant take 5 minutes out of their precious life to contact someone back... Its so damn rude. I can type tons of paragraphs in a matter of a few minutes...................

Edited by JAGUAR

@JAGUAR:No offence intended but, It's honestly not that simple.I've been knocked for 6 with the people who've been able to give up their very valuable time to answer questions about games they worked on 25 years+, since i started dabbling with interviews for ST Gamer/GTW/Unseen64/GOG/Classic Console magazine etc.

The insights they've shared have been fantastic, but i'm very much aware that what i'm asking is, in real world terms, very, very trival.People get sick, snowed under with work (1 Atari related contact has agreed to an interview, but not until Sept'2015 at the very earliest as he is that busy).

I myself have seen work load massively increase over past 6 months, hence winding down in 2015, wrapping up interviews/Lost games research..period.

I'm just eternally grateful to the kindest so many have shown to myself in helping both myself and the various Retro related communities i pass the answers onto.

I love looking into Lost Games, but it has to be kept firmly in perspective.

Edited by Lost Dragon

He thinks he is above you, is why he is not giving you any time. Again, it would probably take him literally 1 or 2 minutes to give you some good info. He is just being a jerk.

Sadly a lot of these guys who have worked on a "professional project" like a game think they are gods gift to the world... I cant stand the types. Im a down to earth guy who will talk the same to a homeless guy or animal, as I do to the most famous rich guy. I don't view myself or my time as such a valuable thing that I ignore someone who has kindly contacted me.

If you were not kind to him, fine, but I am sure you were, and then some. You took your time to contact him and make him feel special for being remembered, and in return he turns his nose up at you. that is bs. ;) But that is just me.

And hey Orpheus Waking, nobody was talking to you. Go be rude to someone else. Bu Bye.

Then again I have a crazy good long term memory and some people don't. So maybe the guy plain just cant remember a damn thing about the game LOL. Ah well who really cares. Atleast you tried eh Dragon. But don't kid yourself, theres no excuse such as he is busy with work. I mean why instead of taking the time to give you the bs answers, why didn't he just give you some info in his response. I mean why lead you on like that and then nothing. RUDE RUDE RUDE>> hate it. people like that, ugh... :mad:

Edited by JAGUAR

This is a 'hard' post to reply to Jaguar, in many ways...so forgive me if i don't tackle every point raised or give some sideways answers.....

With the Conan coder, i approached him out of both personal interest in the game, as huge fan of the genre, game looked stunning etc and yes, i wanted to know if screens shown were the 'Real Mcoy' as we've seen a good few concept/mock-up/false advertising shots on Jaguar as is...Tomb Raider, Redline Racing in promo.material, Blue Lightning CD at early preview etc etc and also on behalf of an article a friend of mine is planning, so any info gained would of been of use to numerous parties.

However...as with all of this 'approaches', there was never anything but the offchance information would be forthcoming, i might not of gotten a reply, i might have had a polite, sorry, i honestly cannot remember, it's been so long since...etc etc.

In the emails i did get from Carlo, he was more than polite, took time out to update me etc etc, which is to his credit.

• Like 1

Chances are, he simply is far too busy working for a living.He might simply be polite and Conan on Jaguar is something he'd simply leave behind and not want to talk about...good few people who invested a lot of time and resources into projects that were canned got 'burnt' and despite the years, memory of events is still 'painful'...i can understand all of these potential reasons and more.

So, whilst it'd of been 'nice'to get a few insights into what really happened to and why...regarding Conan, all it's cost me is a tiny bit of my spare time, given it a fair shot, Carlo has my details, knows what and where info was planned for etc.

As for myself? just chalked it up to another avenue looked into, onto the next.

He thinks he is above you, is why he is not giving you any time. Again, it would probably take him literally 1 or 2 minutes to give you some good info. He is just being a jerk.

Sadly a lot of these guys who have worked on a "professional project" like a game think they are gods gift to the world... I cant stand the types. Im a down to earth guy who will talk the same to a homeless guy or animal, as I do to the most famous rich guy. I don't view myself or my time as such a valuable thing that I ignore someone who has kindly contacted me.

If you were not kind to him, fine, but I am sure you were, and then some. You took your time to contact him and make him feel special for being remembered, and in return he turns his nose up at you. that is bs. ;) But that is just me.

And hey Orpheus Waking, nobody was talking to you. Go be rude to someone else. Bu Bye.

Then again I have a crazy good long term memory and some people don't. So maybe the guy plain just cant remember a damn thing about the game LOL. Ah well who really cares. Atleast you tried eh Dragon. But don't kid yourself, theres no excuse such as he is busy with work. I mean why instead of taking the time to give you the bs answers, why didn't he just give you some info in his response. I mean why lead you on like that and then nothing. RUDE RUDE RUDE>> hate it. people like that, ugh... :mad:

TBH you seem like far more of a dick than he does. I ,mean what gives you the right to trash someone like that. Unless you missed the point that he did get several polite Emails in response.

Maybe the questions required him to check some information and were not quite as simple as just responding straight away, or maybe he can't quite remember and needs to double check a couple of things.

You are the type of guy who feels entiteld and thinks people should run after you, you would have probably sent him an Email back attacking him despite the fact he is under no obligation. I find its actually people like you who are rude and feel they are better than everyone else.

• Like 3