IGNORED

Final Fantasy XIV - Realm Reborn

HuckleCat

Did anyone else get a chance to try out the free beta?

I tried it out, and I have to say, I really liked it. It's like someone took World of Warcraft and shoved it in a blender with a bunch of anime.

I was not expecting much from it, but it really surprised me, I'll totally be picking it up when it comes out next month.

I tried it and its pretty good, surprisingly. I found the touchpad to be a little annoying at first but I got the hang of it. The only problem I had was the font size was too small on my big screen TV and the registration process sucked.

I cant find myself paying to play the game though (like Elder Scrolls which I also tried out). Its solid and I can see it will work well on PS4 I didnt have any issues, I just dont know how many people will jump in but since you can cross play with PC players I think it will be a solid release with enough players to keep it around for a long time.

I played a Lalafell Arcanist. :P

-- By the way have you tried it with the controller or did you hook up a keyboard\mouse to the PS4?

Edited by cimerians

I played one of the cat guys. (Of course.)

Yah the pay thing is also a little, I dunno, lame, but I guess that makes me feel like i'll have the right to rage over microtransactions if they spring them. Ill probably play on and off. Hopefully the character retention is like WoW, where I can take a year off and still come back and find my characters not deleted.

Do any MMO's delete characters after awhile? (I still get emails from Funcom asking me to come back to Anarchy Online, and that my characters that I made 10 years ago are still there.)

I haven't seen any official policy on deleting characters so I wouldnt worry about it. By the way your beta character will not carry over to the real game when it gets released...I'm almost 100% certain of this.

Knowing that I fooled around enough to where I didn't want to play anymore and deleted the game off my harddrive.

Its a good MMO, unfortunately I just dont want to pay a monthly fee for them and I dont have the time to invest.

PS4 Beta characters will carry over. Only the client is in beta, all characters played are saved server side (which are the same servers for all clients). You can log out from PS4 and then relog from a PC and take up exactly where you left off, assuming your account is paid up.

PS4 Beta characters will carry over. Only the client is in beta, all characters played are saved server side (which are the same servers for all clients). You can log out from PS4 and then relog from a PC and take up exactly where you left off, assuming your account is paid up.

I must have read it wrong then. Thats actually good to know....but I wont be playing it. I wish I could, its really well done IMO.

Due to a busy weekend, I only got about 30min to try out the Beta. Must admit I was lost as hell trying to figure out controls and where to go on the maps to accomplish quests.

Maybe I didn't figure it out, but it seemed like the game doesn't support in-game voice, only text chat. If this is so, not sure whether you could use party-chat for voice or not. Anyone know?

If this is so, not sure whether you could use party-chat for voice or not. Anyone know?

Unfortunately no voice support:

Taken from the playstation blog:
"Voice chat wasnt enabled in the recent beta. Will it be integrated in the full version of the game?
Naoki Yoshida: We do not plan on offering official support for voice chat. To explain that decision, the idea of talking directly to other players with your own voice and making it a requirement to do so will not necessarily be a good thing for beginners and new players and many will see it as imposing pressure or causing them unnecessary stress.
I am personally a veteran online gamer so I completely understand the importance of voice chat but if we were to make it an officially supported feature then there is a chance that some players would start to demand that others use it just because it is an official feature.
Of course, we will not be prohibiting external voice chat via Skype etc, so individual player communities can still sort out their own preferred means of communication!"
I read this before I played just to get settled:
It took me a while to get used to the touchpad and the interface but then I was OK.

Oceana had their own Mumble servers set up back when I was playing. I'd imagine most of the established Free Companies have them as well. Also, some of the PUGs I got into through duty finder were able to do group chat through the Google hangouts app. It's not great because of the lag, but it works well enough and most people already have a Google account.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Cim... did you play the Beta over the weekend? My son & I spent some time with it and both of us had quite a bit of fun. Got our characters up to Lvl 10 pretty quickly and found some interesting quests. Big, big world to explore.

They fixed the text so it is now very readable.

Only real problem we had was with targeting.... we'd run into a battle and wanted to target the closest enemy and time after time it would target something 2 miles away and we'd have to cycle thru all the enemies onscreen to get to one close to us.

Oh, and I have to figure out how to filter out general messages as both of us got tired of being inundated with messages from Gold Farmers.

They fixed the text so it is now very readable.

I didn't play this past weekend as I was busy with other stuff but I kind of wanted too. :P

Cool they fixed the text size, it was a bit cumbersome for me to read as it was.

What classes are you both playing?

I'm really digging this game, I'm almost a level 15 archer.

I'm sort of confused as to the way the crafting skills work, I wasn't expecting to have my entire class change when taking up carpentry. I figured it would work like WoW, and just be a skill thing that your character did. So now I'm browsing the woods looking for low level stuff to kill with a saw so I can get to level 5 to get more crafting quests.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...