IGNORED

Assassins Creed IV - Black Flag

HuckleCat

I have only ever played 2 AC games. The first one, and this. I never really cared for the first one, but after seeing all the reviews praising this one I decided to try it out.

I really dig the pirate setting, I mean, it's almost the perfect pirate game. One of the 2 main problems I have with the game is that it's an Assassins Creed game, and not just a pirate game. It really screws with the immersion when I go from killing redcoats and crazy ship combat to following some lady around a bank of cubicles, and hacking some douchebags computer. I could care less. (By the way, what the fuck is up with that bullshit "frogger security" hacking?) Yeah the hacking. Why? It's not a challenge, and it's not fun. It's tedious. Don't do that.

So yah, gripe number one, it's an AC game.

The second is something that gets on my tits big time about the game. It's the characters pathfinding. Particularly when being chased, or while chasing. When it works, which is roughly half the time, it's totally badass. When it fails though, it fails so spectacularly that it's embarassing. Nothing makes me want to smash the controller more than when I'm trying to chase someone and my dude instead wants to tap fucking dance on every nearby barrel and crate, and climb up every lamp post like a cracked out stripper. It sucks. Oh yeah, and I love it when I'm trying to be all sneaky and try killing a line of bad guys, thinking "hey, I'm gonna take out the guys in the back all ninja like and gradually kill them all." Thats when the game is like "nope" and instead my guy will jump over everyone in the group and land in front of them, alerting every bad guy in the entire game.

Seriously, it ends up with a crazy chase of me running from shrub to shrub with 50 guys chasing me, I keep expecting the game to start playing "Yakkity Sax".

It just seems like the games pathfinding knows when it's depended on the most to work out right, and that's when it's guaranteed to screw you.

Despite all this, I really do like the game. Can't say I like the multiplayer all that much. Anyway, I'm almost at the end (like 91%), and I do hope they make more pirate games like this. Maybe outside of the AC line.

• 2 weeks later...

Right I agree on pretty much everything you say and that's why I'm more of a closet fan. :P

I like the games but they are in my opinion absurd when you think about it.

I think the one button does everything mechanic works for the most part but not very well for action scenes. Running and wanting to stay grounded is sometimes not that easy. Instead you grab a barrel or climb a tree without wanting too...right at the moment your about to catch a guy or surprise some guards. Here's an absurdity: I love chasing magical musical notes (shanties) and cursing as they end up flying just out of reach and disappear......and then realizing you can just wait for them to reappear where they originally were and grab them without even trying.

Also, if you really think about it the game is basically two things......collect stuff and kill things. That's pretty much it.

But I still play them. It's one of those I have nothing else to do, I'll play some Assassins Creed.

Edited by cimerians